Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Explain to me about Positive ground

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by blazedogs, Mar 3, 2020.

1. lostviking

lostviking

He is in fact correct. Electricity is the movement of electrons from one atom to the next. Electrons are negative. A fully "charged" battery is empty, and you fill it with electrons that get pulled in from the negative part of a circuit. Hole flow is a concept, not a physical thing. Same with signal flow. But, we in general use hole flow and signal flow when designing and even troubleshooting electronics.

2. H380

H380
    from Louisiana

The telephone system from day one until today. Is -48vDC. The backup battery float voltage is -54vDC. Pick up your old POTS land line phone and its -48v at the phone. Everything in the central office routers, servers, switches and even the emergency room lights are -48vDC.

3. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

Sorry your wrong on the 90 degree brush plate rotation effecting starter rotation. The MZ series starters by Prestolite will change rotation if you rotate the com end plate 90 degrees, the plate is marked R or L, which ever one is lined up with the battery post will give you right or left motor rotation.
    The MZ series starters were used on WWII era Willys Jeeps and industrial engines like Wisconsin, Hercules and Continental.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app
    www.speedoservice.com
    Should I rush your rush job or the rush job I was rushing when you rushed in?

4. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

Many years ago a neighbor bought at auction a well-preserved mid-twenties Dodge that had been in storage close to 3 decades. We tried all day to see if we could get that sucker started, checking and proving out every component that could affect starting. Eventually, an old-timer stopped by, saying "Ya know, these cars was 12 volts". Eureka, it fired right up!

town sedan, Boneyard51 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  5. :rolleyes:
    It’s always a fu!king dodge
    Every.Damn.Time !

town sedan, Boneyard51 and Truck64 like this.
  6. 1953naegle

1953naegle

Thank you for this thread! I've been dealing with this while wiring up my dad's 53' F-100 which is positive ground, and this thread reminded me that I need to re-check all of those connections as I'm pretty sure I've got most of them backwards....

Boneyard51 likes this.
  7. At one time old Joe Lucas petitioned Parliament to repeal Ohm’s law, but it met with too much resistance.
    If Lucas made guns, wars would never start.
    Joe Lucas: “A gentleman does not go motoring around after dark”.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

I guess I left myself open to that! I should have lied, and said it was a Maxwell or a Franklin.

Boneyard51 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  9. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Hm, I wonder if the Apollo program Lunar Module and the CSM were positive, or negative ground? I'm sure the engineers weren't going to leave that stuff to chance. I'm thinking it would have had to be negative ground, because of ground support and test equipment compatibility.

I've heard, maybe here - if someone connects a battery charger up wrong to a dead battery, it will charge up with reversed polarity. It won't work very well, but it will work and this "feature" has caused some headscratching.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  10. Warpspeed

Warpspeed

Very likely. Most electronics these days use negative ground.
    I doubt if water, rust, and corrosion are a problem in outer space.

They would be at sea though. Any navy guys here ?
    What about submarine batteries for example.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  11. karl share

karl share

Lucas wiring has smoke inside it not copper.:)

Boneyard51 and G-son like this.
  12. BoogittyShoe

BoogittyShoe

This isn't too far off-subject. It's about a positive ground, though unintended.
    I had an under-dash melt-down one cold morning at the bank. It was the fuel pump wire that shorted out. I got home by wiring the heater switch to it.
    I asked a friend what is worse than smoke coming out from under the dash. He said "Flames?".

town sedan, Truck64, pitman and 2 others like this.
  13. R A Wrench

R A Wrench
    from Denver, Co

Many interesting points on this thread. A friend has a repair shop he has owned for over 50 years. He likes to work on the older stuff. A guy brought in a 39 Lincoln with a charging problem. It had been to a few shop's, no one had been able to sort things out. John took a look, switched the battery cables and everything worked." No charge & you are welcome "

14. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

It's a "physics" thing.... ;)

15. pitman

pitman

Am told that anodes (+)
    corrode. Metals theory sez cathodic protection stops corrosion.
    I sense that a "lower" (-) is less likely to rust, corrode or, discharge, in answer to which cable to pull. (+ or -) Moisture will bring discharge, you lucky dry Southwest folks.
    (First thought that holes were (+) ions, but 'vacancy' works too)

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
  16. I am so glad we got this all straightened out..:confused:

Texas57, BJR, Truck64 and 1 other person like this.
  17. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

There was a post here once where a guy needed a source to buy a positive ground battery. :eek:

Truck64 likes this.
  18. I have to go outside & change my Flux Capasitor Air in my tyer's
    from Winter Air to Spring air & my Batt to Neg. Ground!
    I like to be Different.!

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn ^ Die a Fool

pitman and stillrunners like this.
  19. ok....thanks....never done anything to the started......usually have to mess with the points after the little Red Ram has been sitting....think I messed with the coil - but being kinda not an ace - I looked over at one of my others and got the connection correct by accident on the 56 Savoy. My little 1967 Morris Minor gave me the headache until I got a manual....think it was still a positive ground up that far.

20. make started into starter.....

21. jaracer

jaracer

Guess I never saw one of those. I stand corrected.

Blues4U likes this.
  22. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

Why do the Brits drink warm beer?... Lucas refrigerators!

town sedan and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  23. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Joseph Lucas is the patent holder for the Short Circuit

Didn't he get arrested for flashing a woman

24. pitman

pitman

Something about 'the inventor of darkness,' Lucas Electric!

25. Mimilan

Mimilan

Lucas systems actually uses AC current; it just has a random frequency.:D

Lucas is also an acronym for Loose Unsoldered Connections And Splices.

26. speedshifter

speedshifter

I have a 1970 Harley with elec starter. Starter ran backwards. I rotated the brush mounting plate 90 degrees & the armature definitely changed direction. Greg

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  27. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Yep, we used to put those Harley 4 brush Prestolite starters in electric start Nortons, because the ones they came with were only two brush. Had to rotate the brushes a quarter turn to spin the right way.

28. town sedan

town sedan

Don't know about other manufactures, but Mopar was the 1st of the big three to use alternators. 1960 or '61.

Facts are facts and you are right. But, I think you missed the joke in there. Lucas: The prince of darkness!
    -Dave

29. No, I didn't miss it. I have had 2 Lucas wired vehicles, they were awful. I just wanted to give credit where it was due since Mr. Kearns was screwed by Ford, then Chrysler.

town sedan likes this.