Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Have you been guilty of buying parts for a car you hope to build someday?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Feb 7, 2020.

1. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

There is is another equation as well . Large parts versus shipping costs today .

2. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

Don't feel bad... There is another storage area with 15+ flathead Ford engines plus pallet crates full of engine parts... I want to keep about 4 flatheads, and sell off everything else.

3. Charlietruck62

Charlietruck62

Is this a trick question? Did my wife put you up to this?

jetnow1, chiro, Ned Ludd and 2 others like this.
  4. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

I have a '51 Ford Victoria that I'm still collecting parts to assemble one day.

5. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Yes, it's a wild circle of parts buying. By the time I have about half of the parts for one project I get bored and start another. I end up with 5 or so half finished cars. It's great!:D Then I start selling parts and start again. Lippy

6. I joke.. not joke... that I have more money tied up in parts storage unit fees than I do in the actual build...
    Chappy

7. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

If you have a unit, why wouldn`t you fill it to the brim. My theory is, if you pull one thing out every month and use it. The money that part would of cost you, pays for that`s month rent. Pull 2 things out in a month, you are on a winning streak. I have a unit for my personal projects and one for my business items. When someone needs a part worse than I do, I will sell an item. There`s still a bit of room left so off to a swapmeet this Sunday. . 2019-08-30_221547.jpg

8. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Walking the same trail as some of us in many ways. So many parts stashed in odd places,rafters,corners,a shed,in the weeds etc. Don't even have clearing enough to mock up the pile of parts,I think of as hot rod I started building in my head 8 years ago. Most of my spair time an small $s going into keeping my old sweet hart high school hot rod running I built in 1959,yet that pile of other parts grows a little now an then= In my head these parts I have.;; Is a 1917 Hupmobile roadster with 1924 Hup grill shell,powered by 53 Merc flathead V8 w2x2s or Ford Y 292V8 w4bbl,headlights 30A stainless steel an custom raindrop lezs are extra cool to most.
    All that stuff in the pile and much more for the build*. But no,nothing is bolted together,as two big block V8 Ford FEs are in the way with a lot of other crap taking up space. Don't know if I'll ever get to it. 005 (2).JPG 007 (2).JPG 009 (2).JPG PDR_2241.JPG

Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
    Elcohaulic and LAROKE like this.
  9. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

That's the only way I've been buying parts!

Last part I bought was a Ford CVH distributor, because I read that the people who use Subaru SOHC EJs in aircraft run one on the back of the RH cam for ignition redundancy. It's part of de-computerizing the EJ25 I don't have, and haven't yet quite figured out how to swap into the Morris Minor after decades of research.

As for the dormant '31 A, the Deuce shell is hanging on the wall on my left, and the 2" SU carb and Austin A40 Farina speedometer are on the shelf on my right. There are various gauges and switches in my desk drawer, and I've got a pair of fender-top sidelights and a firewall in storage. No frame, no engine, no axles ...

10. reefer

reefer

A5704596-50B1-4480-8B8C-FAA2F5540FEF.jpeg I bought these and stuck them under the bed. I had a pair years ago on a project that I never finished... always regretted it. When these came up I had to have them.... whether I’ll ever get around to using them is another matter.

Attached Files:

Fitnessguy, stanlow69 and waxhead like this.
  11. flatnoseturbo

flatnoseturbo
    from ontario

12. deucendude

deucendude
    from norcal

I just drug out a 283 and rebuilt it. It has been in my garage since 1986. I knew I would use it someday. It was $50 then.

rod1 likes this.
  13. 20190125_092503.jpg 32whls.jpg 20190216_152217.jpg I bought a QC on craigslist because I always wanted one. The repop divco's were next. I knew I wanted to build another roadster so the parts collecting started. Now it's almost done so yeah, if I see something thing that's a good deal I will buy it. You never know what's next.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
  14. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't often agree with statements you make but, you are dead right here. There's a guy not far from me who has an amazing number of project cars and parts that he refuses to put a price on and obviously doesn't care about. I went to him looking for a pair of 36 Ford front fenders and to my surprise, he said he had some he'd sell. We went out through the brush and oak trees with him saying that they ought to be right here somewhere. They were. I was standing knee deep in oak leaves right in the middle of one that had rotted out. The stuff is his, he can do whatever he wants with it, but this is waste.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  15. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Attached Files:

16. boo

boo
    from stuart,fl.

when you have the sickness and dream of cars you want to build you have to pick up the dream parts when you find them, i have dream cars i have colected just the right part 10-15 years ahead. now getting to old to build them, guess my kids will dump them. same thing goes for tools.....

MO_JUNK likes this.
  17. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

While in my local salvage yard, about 1990 something, I picked up a cherry head light bezel for a 1965 Galaxie. I hug it in my shop and pointed it out to folks, that’s my 65 Galaxie! Just missing a few parts! Lol Well fast forward twenty some years.... I now have five 65 Galaxies!

Bones

18. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I did not buy any parts for a future project but was given this late 50s GM 3 speed o/d trans that I am going to find a car to put it in,when I replace the 235 that is presently in my 37 Chevy p/u I will fix it and hope to find a 46 to 48 Chevy coupe to use those parts in.

Attached Files:

alanp561 likes this.
  19. NWRustyJunk

NWRustyJunk

I bought a 37 Plymouth grill at Mopar Nationals a few years ago because I thought it would look good hanging on my wall. Then last year I ended up with two 37 Plymouths, and wouldn't you know it.......one needed a grill. I love it when a plan comes together.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  20. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

About a year ago, I gave my stash of collected standby parts to a local high school senior for his roadster build. I kept some instruments and a chrome super bell axle that has been under my bed for about five years. Yesterday at our monthly car guy breakfast we determined that the four inch drop super bell on my 28' is bent. The hoarded axle is an exact duplicate only chrome. It paid off for me. Note to self: wife was not amused when I pulled it out from under the bed. Also, high schoolers' steel 27' roadster on A rails in almost ready for licensing. I'm 67', I encourage you to pay it forward if you have a worthy candidate.

chevy57dude and alanp561 like this.
  21. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

very cool. tell me more about them? Really like the simple chrome strip

Stogy likes this.
  22. ssaza25

ssaza25
    from arizona

I picked up a rebuilt 392 Hemi and a 41 Willys steel front clip years ago, hoping to find a 37-42 Willys coupe body. After looking for a number of years, I did find a steel coupe body 100 miles from my house. IMG_0855.JPG

23. 32fenderless

32fenderless

Is the model 77 available in the background?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Stogy likes this.
  24. ssaza25

ssaza25
    from arizona

It is what is left of a Willys sedan delivery. Had been cut off behind the doors. Would make a great pickup as the roof line is the same as a true. Coupes and sedans had a different roof line. Have been thinking of selling it.

Stogy likes this.
  25. chiro

chiro

I have an itch to build a Model A gow job/speedster but we're getting ready to move this year so I'm trying to clear out what I don't need so I don't have to move it. My wife asked me to get rid of the old hood for my Chevy AD pickup which is laying behind the shed. I told her that I'm keeping that to use as the back end of my next build, Split it in half and do a little metal work and it will work on a speedster. So, maybe not BUYING for a project I don't have but definitely HOARDING. Lol.
    Andy

26. reefer

reefer

They are Marchel headlights, very Art Deco..I bought them from a guy in Holland.

Stogy likes this.
  27. I have a system that works for me but not for my bank account. I haunt and hunt the internet looking for candidates that may be worthy. I swoop in, I buy, and then I evaluate. I separate the wheat from the chaff. The rejects go back on the net, usually at a more realistic price that I may have paid. But that's the penalty for being anal. :rolleyes:

28. G'day, I can't believe I actually got a call this afternoon from someone looking for an engine. And I have the one he needs. I shot him a fair price but he wanted it for free. I need to "pay it forward" for him. I think this summer will be the great scrap iron drive and I am going to clear out. We started a while back and hauled in a bunch of 350 4 bolt blocks and all of our 6 cylinder stuff.

29. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

If i keep changing things on my truck i will have enough to build another just like i started with. lol