Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Can this project be a part of the HAMB?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vintage_mpg, Mar 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raven

raven

If you had all the parts, a thrash would net a proper front suspension under that thing over the course of a weekend.
    r

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. Years ago, this would not fit on the HAMB. It's obviously a rat rod. But, this is a different HAMB, now days. "It's your car, do what you want." "Don't listen to the haters."
    But, if I were you, I'd see that car as a pile of parts. I'd save what you can use and start with a car that doesn't need so much change. Once you remove the rat rod part, you have some parts to build upon.

Tman, clem, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  3. The big grille must also go, this is the rattiest part, IMHO. Also the skinny 30's wires don't fit with the ugraded suspension. Steel wheels would look better.

Moondog13 likes this.
  4. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

Man, hotrodding is about making the most with what you have and having fun with it. Make it safe and drive the hell out of it. Make changes along the way to get it where you want it to be. Like others have said, ask all the questions you need, just don't mention the modern stuff.

Good luck and have a blast!

Sent from my SM-G973U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

I agree with this provided he wants to build it traditionally styled, but if he didn't then yes it would not fit here and what would be wrong with that?

hotrodjack33 and LAROKE like this.
  6. madness...............every chunk of old iron ever driven was driven for the- right reasons......the wrong reasons........ or NO reason! Just fix it up the way ya want, drive the wheels off it, don't apologize......Life is short.......make it thump and boogie forth!!

Wanderlust likes this.
  7. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

As has already been mentioned, it depends on your overall plan for the car. It sounds like the short term plan is to get it running and driving. Is modifying it into a "Traditional" Hot Rod, your long term plan? Are you also looking for ideas and ways to build it into a "Traditional" Hot Rod? If so, then, yes it belongs here.

Dooley likes this.
  8. chubbie

chubbie

9. Evilfordcoupe™

Evilfordcoupe™

Guidelines:
    1. If in doubt, don't post it.

My favorite.

-Jason

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  10. woodsnwater

woodsnwater
    from North Al.

Almost every question I ever had about my build had already been asked 5 different ways. Just google the question and end it with the word jalopy.

Hombre likes this.
  11. missysdad1

missysdad1

The biggest difficulty your car has with not being "traditional" is the MII front suspension, and in my mind that is not a fatal flaw even though it does run afoul of the HAMB rules. The good news, as has already been pointed out, is that the MII can be removed and a conventional front crossmember and beam axle installed without a great deal of re-engineering. Speedway Motors sells the front end components in "kit" form so you'll not need a lot of experience to do a first-class job. A quick trip to Pick-A-Part will net you some cast exhaust manifolds and a 4-bbl intake and carb to take the funky off your engine. These changes will get you back in good graces with the HAMB Police and greatly improve the looks and streetability of your car as well. Its got lots of potential. Good luck!

Edit: The flaw in your plan as I see it is that you will spend a fair amount of your available funds getting the car roadworthy as it is. Those same funds could be used instead to correct the "non-traditional" aspects and go along way towards making it HAMB-friendly...and a better car at the same time. The third point I'd make is that if your car is ever mistaken for a "rat rod" you've done something very wrong on the path of making it a true "hot rod". The term "rat rod" is a strong pejorative in hot rod circles. Just thought you'd like to know, being a newbie and all. Again, good luck. I think your car has good bones and can be an outstanding hot rod in time.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
    Stogy likes this.
  12. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]

13. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Hell, I'm not even in charge of getting out of bed (when I want)! :mad:
    Beaner, to be "entirely truthful" I'm a newbie in the HAMB scheme of things.
    See my join date.

porknbeaner likes this.
  14. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I agree. This is the kinder, gentler HAMB.

The problem is, from a practical standpoint, it's probably not the best financial decision to try to unfuck a car that is all rat-rodded out to make it a traditional car. This rat rod could be sold to someone who doesn't car that the car isn't traditional, and the proceeds used to purchase a car that doesn't need to be un-rat-rodded. That is, of course, depending on how much money the OP has in this project to begin with. If the car was very inexpensive to obtain, then perhaps it would make more sense to right the wrong.

The shame of it is, this could be a cool car with some fixing.

15. Tman and Moriarity like this.
  16. Well,,to be honest it does look cool from a distance .
    What bothers me is it looks like someone purposely cut chunks out of the body to Rat it up some,,,,,I think it detracts from the overall beauty of the car .
    Also,,,,Rat is very OT here,,,I am in complete agreement as well.
    The front end is very un traditional and is a mortal sin on the Hamb .
    Sorry,,,but the rules clearly say that,,,,also,,,in complete agreement there as well.
    The other stuff needs attention,,,frame,,,,looks like it needs a little glass in it as well,,,,are there any windows in it at all ?
    Ditch the front grill,,,abstract,,,,completely takes away from the car,,,,might as well put a Rolls Royce grill in it .
    Get rid of (change ) the headers,,,,look like the angel wing hairdos back in the days.
    Not too bad,,,just look out of place in some situations,,,,too out there,,,you know ?
    The tunnel ram and engine are fine I think .
    Change the wheels and tire combo,,,get rid of the bags .

You did state in your first post,,,”evolution back to road worthy “,,,you start at one place and go from there.
    Keep it simple,,,,do what you can budget at the time,,,,nothing happens over night .
    Like has been stated,,,don’t emphasize the shortcomings for the Hamb standards.
    People will try to help and look the other way ,,,at least for a while .

It has a lot of potential,,,,and could be brought back to Hamb worthiness with the right components.

I’m not running it down,,,,,just offering a way to the finish line.
    No matter how anyone feels,,,,,the Hamb is the best,,!

Tommy

Cosmo50 likes this.
  17. jim snow

jim snow

Best advice you gonna get right there.jmho. Snowman

hotrodjack33 and missysdad1 like this.
  18. We've all had to start somewhere, ask all the question you want and someone will answer, this group of people (HAMBers) are very honest with their info and opinions, and you'll get a lot of jokes but don't take it personal they're just having fun. I do agree that a few changes would make it more traditional (keep in mind that this is a Traditional Hot Rod forum) so when your ready to make some changes just let us know. Here's my old '30 Coupe may she R.I.P. BigO CARS Custom.jpg

19. Big O,,,,now that is a fine looking Hot Rod,,,,she was really nice !

Tommy

BigO likes this.
  20. ^^This^^

21. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Only problem I can see is that it's uglier than a sack full of mashed assholes ….

22. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here's my 2 cents. Its a non ford 4 door with quite a few issues. You will soon have way too much in it for what its worth and you started by saying you want a traditional car. This will only make that take a lot longer to achieve.

Sell it and use the funds to buy a nice running A Coupe and start with that. Then work on that a little at a time, collecting parts like F1 steering, dropped axle, brakes etc and slowly build the car you want whilst still having something to drive.

Surfcityrocker and alanp561 like this.
  23. Lil'Alb

Lil'Alb
    from brier, wa

LOL this thread...

HotRod33 and RMR&C like this.
  24. Just don’t put any skulls or other crap on it.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

Desoto291Hemi and nunattax like this.
  25. 392

My opinion. Old hamb hell no. New hamb still hell no with a few exceptions. Very hard to polish a turd. Sell off and start over.

26. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I go along pretty well with Chappy.
    Then:
    First as others said, don't show, write about or make a big deal of the MII. Kind of like remembering only to take photos of your sister from one side because she doesn't like the way her nose looks like from the other side even though she is the only one who notices it but ya gotta keep peace in the family.

The butt ass ugly headers gotta go first, maybe some tight tucks and run some pipes under the car so you can actually drive it unless there is just no room under it.
    The grill shell will probably self remove if you don't do something with it. It might get you a better parking spot at Viva though.
    To me that silly visor has to go. The original shape of the front of the roof on that body is one of it's better features and that ugly piece really distracts from the car's looks. getting rid of it is probably a minimal cost deal but it gets rid of a lot of the rat rod look.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  27. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Weelllll hell I might as well throw my 2 cents in!....the op doesn't seem to be too bothered by the fact that it is WAY non traditional and folks are telling him how to change out the front suspension which I believe he said he is ok with!.....as has been stated, Google any question and you'll get an answer. If you want to ask here HIDE the rat looking shit ...or maybe the op should ask on the R..rod site....

Desoto291Hemi and chryslerfan55 like this.
  28. Lil'Alb

Lil'Alb
    from brier, wa

I'm guessing this thing might be a lot rougher than it looks in the pics ( a general rule) BUT if you got it pretty cheap I think it would be a great project to hone your skills, make it great for what it is without spending too much cash, flip it and use that cash to build whatever your Hot Rod® dream ride. Fun and learning are the keys. I highly recommend the "I'm here to pick up the rubbish" thread from drylakespeedshop in Oz. That dude has taken a million sows ears and come up with a rad duece roadster. He is great at flipping the undesirable and acquiring the good

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
  29. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Gman, I don't always agree with your opinions on here, but this I have to say I agree 200%. very well stated. Larry

30. Moselli

Moselli

I like your project, Vintage. Rock on...

“It’s important to pay attention to the HAMB ‘rules’ so that you know how to properly break them.”

Moselli

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.