Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Spotlight through 49-52 Chevy A-post

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Kaptain Kustom, Mar 4, 2020.

1. Kaptain Kustom

Kaptain Kustom
    from Finland

I've found on the internet many pictures of '49 - '52 Chevy Stylelines and Fleetlines that seem to have real spotlights installed through their extremely skinny A-pillars. I haven't found any details of this though.

Could someone provide some detail pics or information about this?

2. not that one guy

not that one guy
    from So NV

Your spotlight should come with instructions, or you may have to search online for the instructions and drill template.

heres an example for truck
    upload_2020-3-4_6-21-33.jpeg

Then drill in pillar
    upload_2020-3-4_6-22-35.jpeg

Hopefully someone will have the info for your vehicle and post

3. Kaptain Kustom

Kaptain Kustom
    from Finland

Thanks for your reply!
    In the 49 - 52 Chevys (except for convertible and ht) it's a little tricky, since the face of the post is actually notably narrower than the spotlight bracket, even if the rain gutter is cut off the way. Would be nice to know how exactly people have mounted them. I don't know if there is instructions or template to mount them this way on these cars, or if it's purely a custom approach.

I know there are spotlights for these cars that are meant to be mounted through the door. Also saw a couple of cars that had them mounted through belt line. But I would like to know details about the through post installation, since apparently some people have accomplished to do so.

4. not that one guy

not that one guy
    from So NV

Yeah, mines a unity.

The car fellas probably installed appletons?

5. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good way to screw up an “A” pillar in my opinion.

Hnstray likes this.
  6. Torchie

Torchie

I suspect they had a specific mounting bracket for that model of Chevy as compared to a universal style.
    You might want to cross post over on the Custom Car Chronicle site. Lots of spotlight gurus over there
    Torchie

AChopped1950ford likes this.
  7. You could do it like Manuel Reyes did on his '36 Ford and weld a threaded insert into the A-pillar and eliminate the bracket all together. Hard to see in pictures but in person it looks slick.
    JJ-14.jpg

Jim Bouchard and Torchie like this.
  8. rusty_bits

rusty_bits

Why not ask Unity, about ten years ago when I did my 1948 Ford F-1, I contacted them and they faxed or emailed me a template. Not sure if they are still around but they where then. Regards

9. We did spot lites on the Police units built in the local car factory. It wasn't rocket sience.
    We put a fixture that was steel and somewhat like the Unity bracket. Clamped with vice grip.
    Used a 5/8 bit in a battery gun. Basically hogged the hole out.

Chebby belair likes this.
  10. Sharmack

Sharmack

@Kaptain Kustom The only templates I have seen for Chevys in that year for Appletons anyway, make them go through the door. I know what you mean though that A pillar is very skinny, I would guess it would take some creative fabrication to mount them through the A. I did recently have a driver side bracket to mount through the door for that year(s) Chevy and I recently traded it to friend for some stuff im sure he would sell it if you wanted it. PM me if you want the details.

11. Kustom love 101

Kustom love 101

I have been looking for years for this same things and once I get mine installed I’ll post photos of it. Some people are doing the Appleton arms on the inside and those Kustom Kraft dummies on the outside. I’ll have either my Appleton 112s or 552s. Not sure which ones I’ll use yet

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. rudestude

rudestude

Search Chevs of the 40's ...they have the factory templates and instruction sheets for what your looking for.

Sent from my SM-T387V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. Kaptain Kustom

Kaptain Kustom
    from Finland

I recently installed my Appletons. It's a close call, but doable. I try to find time at some point to post some pics. Just been very busy recently..