Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Neutral Safety Switch for AV8

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Richard Reed, Mar 4, 2020.

1. Richard Reed

Richard Reed
    from Maine

Where can i find a neutral safety switch for my AV8? Have a 39` Ford floor shift. How are they hooked up? Thanks

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. jimvette59

jimvette59

WHY ?

Bandit Billy and whiteknuckle like this.
  3. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

4. Phil P

Phil P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have never seen a neutral safety switch on a standard transmission. If there ever was one I'd imagine there rare. Clutch pedal safety switches started appearing in the 60's/70s? A clutch pedal switch might be fabricated/adapted from a newer car.

Phil

5. They aren't.

What you do if you feel the need is to put a switch on the clutch peddle. A modern mechanical brake light switch can be used

6. What pedal setup do you have?
    Touch switch on the pedal to the start circuit from key/push button to the solenoid......I think.... maybe....
    I just remeber to wiggle the shifter to verify neutral AND push the clutch in before I hit the key...
    Chappy

chryslerfan55 and Chili Phil like this.
  7. Driver's Ed 101 right here. ^^^^^^

8. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was always told that cranking the engine with the clutch depressed was a no - no due to the unwanted force being placed on the thrust bearings, on a cold and unlubricated engine. Could be old wives tale though?

Irrespective, I'd query the need for an NSS on an old, carburetted, manual transmission car. Even if you crank it in gear inadvertently it won't move much. I can see it on a modern, injected car though, which could light up and have you through the garage wall or worse.

Chris

9. Justin in PA

Justin in PA

I can see the desire for a NSS with a Ford style starter solenoid that can be actuated by the button whether or not the ignition is on. A kid or ignorant adult could move the car by playing with the starter button. For this reason I wired mine with a GM style solenoid and button that requires power from the ignition before the starter will engage.

10. Richard Reed

Richard Reed
    from Maine

Well, I guess I need to a much better job of Thinking out the situation!!! How many shades of RED do you think my face got after reading these comments. I had three different wiring diagram references and all of them mentioned installing a NSS, never gave it a second thought. One good thing is, I saved money on buying something I did not need. If I need to post in the future I will make sure its legitimate. Thank you all so much.

chryslerfan55, LOU WELLS and 302GMC like this.
  11. Belle53

Belle53

I think having a switch on the clutch pedal that only allows the starter to engaged when the clutch pedal is pushed in is a great idea....on any manual transmission car, old or new

go for it....don't let people that never really get anything done correctly influence you

kevinrevin and abe lugo like this.
  12. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Try cranking a 6 volt outfit at 17 below zero without clutching it ….

13. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

14. jimvette59

jimvette59

The only dumb question is the one that wasn't asked. Good to have you on The HAMB.

bct and LOU WELLS like this.
  15. Them old ford N tractors had a NSS ,,,

16. Phil P

Phil P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I knew someone would come up with an exception to my statement and worse yet I should have remembered because I had 2 8n's:rolleyes:.

Phil

17. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Any stick trans today has one that’s on the clutch. Just like your modern automatic needs to have the brake depressed to move trans from park.
    If you still have floor pedals I would use a 50’s Chevrolet pickup brake light actuator with the arm. I’m sure it can take the necessary current...

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He beat me to it. super easy to install and not expensive as long as the arm on your floor mounted pedal comes up against the floorboard/firewall.

19. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Excellent Question And You Are The Safety Switch....Olde Autos Are Just Like That... 18813310_10208603928355635_7067194787000992458_n.jpg

A 2 B and chryslerfan55 like this.
  20. A 2 B

A 2 B
    from SW Ontario

A long since dismantled AV8 I had was set up with one that worked like this. It was not a typical neutral safety switch connected to the trans. It is a simple normally open switch that is connected to the clutch pedal via a spring. Depressing the pedal closed the circuit allowing the car to start. Without the clutch depressed the start button would not work. I still have that switch somewhere in my stash.
    All the early '50s flatheads had the ability to use the start button to activate the starter and move the vehicles with manuals. I once stalled the engine in my 52 Ford, going over railway tracks with a train coming. It wouldn't start but I still got out of the way using the starter.

EDIT: Found it. Looks to be a vintage Delco-Remy brake switch someone drilled to accommodate the spring coming from the clutch cross shaft. Same switch is still being sold today for about $20. DSC05837.JPG DSC05840.JPG

Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
  21. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

I have been using a clutch switch on my 40 coupe for years. It works well. If you want details on how it was installed check my build thread or start a conversation with me. I would be happy to share what I know.

22. Lots of the new manual trans have neutral and reverse switches made into them. Good idea to have one on any car. In my opinion.

A 2 B likes this.
  23. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Just in case any of you are interested , her are a few pictures of the switch.
    We decided to install a proximity switch. In other words the switch does not have to make contact with the pedal but the normally open switch closes when a ferrous metal object (the clutch pedal) passes within 5 MM of the switch.

We found a OMRON TL-W5E1 NPN switch in the Mc Master Catalog for about $90.00 . Yes it is kind of expensive but has been working very well for 5 years.

upload_2020-3-5_11-44-8.png

upload_2020-3-5_11-44-32.png
    Pedal up
    upload_2020-3-5_11-45-6.png
    Pedal down with switch activated.It is adjusted to a position just off the floor so there can be no doubt the clutch is disengaged for starting.

Full text of this can be found on mt 40 build thread starting on page 14 post #399

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
    A 2 B and Phil P like this.
  24. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Excellent point and true of tremecs but not T-5s. The latter have reverse light switches but no NSS. I opted to not run one on my roadster. Never had one on my HD's and never had an issue.
    That said, some of you need them like the jackwagon that started his tbird at a cruise in locally and cost me a new set of rear bumper guards on my 69 Camaro. Asshat pretended to write a note and place it on my windshield but there was nothing on it when spectators brought it to my attention.

25. I personally don't like them, I won't take them off a factory installed car but I won't put them on my builds (A/T or manual). I think it makes you too comfortable and gets you in the habit of not checking. I always push in the clutch and make sure the shifter is in neutral or have my foot on the brake after checking that it's in park.

26. Phil P

Phil P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm still debating whether or not to install one, it would be easier not to and there would be one less point of failure.
    As far as I can recall I have only slipped up once (in the 70s) and started a car in drive not seating in the seat and I was lucky no one was hurt.

In a similar vain a buddy of mine worked for a AMC dealer in the 70s as a car jockey/detailer. This was when the seat belt interlocks came in, the cars wouldn't start if you sat in the seat without the seat belt latched. At the dealership everyone would lean in and start the cars to save time.
    One time he goes to move a new car, carefully checking to see its in park and the car takes off across the parking lot and hits another new car. Ops three on the tree.

Phil

27. brsturges

brsturges
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Miami, FL

Mustang T5s have neutral safety switches.

28. thecj3man

thecj3man
    from TN

I hooked up the NSS on the TKO600 in my 55 this winter just so I could take my car back to Bristol and run it at the streetfight events. The rules are very simple regards to street legal vehicles. A working NSS is the only rule that they seem to enforce as gospel before you are allowed to run down the track.

29. A 2 B

A 2 B
    from SW Ontario

I like it and see it as "an ounce of prevention". Especially today where we may be driving several different vehicles in the course of a week.
    By the way, I thoroughly enjoyed reading your build thread. Excellent!
    I know, a little late but I have stumbled across a source for the 1/8" stainless welting. https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Fender-Wing...Bead-8-Strip-Rat-Hot-Rod-Vintage/272352080396

Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
  30. Richard no need to feel small. There has been a lot of talk about neutral safety switch here on the HAMB over the years. On an automatic car they are required by most sanctioning bodies if you are going to race. I think it was a legit question. And if it makes you feel better about the car there is no reason not to use one.

First stick cars I remember with a safety switch were early '70s MOPARS. You had to have your butt in the seat, the seat belt latched and the clutch depressed to light 'em off. So it is a safety thing that they tried for a while anyway. I personally think it is a good idea to plant yourself in the seat before you light one off anyway, but that is just how I learned when I was learning to drive.

A 2 B likes this.