Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1946 Ford Pickup

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by petelightning, Feb 23, 2020.

1. petelightning

petelightning

Hey. Been surfing these forums for too long and thought I’d finally share.
    46 Ford, very solid, probably a western Canada truck. Body is just sitting on the frame and strapped down for transport.
    Has what I hope is a Merc 255
    Plan to lower it a bit, metal work and a trans swap.
    I think this is the large truck engine with the 4 speed trans. Not sure of this is the ideal two piece bellhousing? Not well versed and would like swap in the transmission with the least amount of work. 3 speed, 4 speed, overdrive, doesn’t matter just synchronized gears would be nice.
    Also looks like someone welding in some support or mount for the steering box, maybe it’s not the stock one?
    Thanks!
    Should be a fun project
    Here’s some pics

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
  2. dwollam

dwollam

Your pics don't work. Try again.

Dave

3. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Good luck. I just got my 1948 F1 .

4. petelightning

petelightning

They are visible to me. I have the album set to public.
    I will try and post again
    Let me know it this works
    Thanks!

Attached Files:

5. Sandgroper

Sandgroper

Hey Pete, looks like a solid start, look forward to the build. Would love a pickup but only got access to a couple of Canadian maple leaf chevies, big trucks. Anyway welcome to the HAMB from down under.

waxhead likes this.
  6. v8flat44

v8flat44

Love it Pete. A pal had a 46 in the 60s with a built 59a, chrome stacks, etc. In the winter when Lake Erie froze, he used it to pull ice shanties to earn gas & parts money. Love them "jail bar" trucks. enjoy the ride!

7. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Cool truck! I owned one, with 8BA flathead. It was a fun truck, sold it to a friend in '08, regret it.
    My friend sold it to another friend 3 or 4 years ago, and wishes he had kept it, too.
    Keep it! You won't regret it!
    Looking forward to your build pics.

8. Tall t 26

Tall t 26

Awesome looking start to a great project.
    Keep the pics. Coming!!

9. petelightning

petelightning

Thanks everyone.
    Just collecting some parts for it now and will build in the spring. Will be sure to update with pictures.
    Really need some more info on this bellhousing and the correct trans swap.

10. leon bee

leon bee

It has an 8BA engine with a car oil pan?

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  11. leon bee

leon bee

And I don't understand what's going on at the crossmember and the back of the trans. I like the truck, got one just about like it.

12. Looks like a big old 4 speed to me. you don't want that. The bellhousing is correct with that stamped steel piece so you can bolt up a 3 speed. 46 to 51 or 52 I believe will work for you. They had synchromesh in 2nd and 3rd. Most of them are worn out so shop carefully

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  13. jailbar joe

jailbar joe

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    you have a great start ....there is much you can do to these ol girls......these are my 2 that i have built from the ground up

14. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Built this .'46 back in the '80s. 59AB 3 spd, Polished Canadian aluminum heads & a pair of 94s. Never did get a full set of grill bars...they weren't repro'ed back then:( 46sd.jpg 46frxxx.jpg

exterminator and v8flat44 like this.
  15. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I did one years ago , 351C 4 barrel , C6 , 9 in rear , dropped axle discs in the front , Nova steering box . My Buddy wanted it , ask and ask me buy it . I gave it to him . 3 months later he sold it for big money . Years ago I hated the Jail Bar grill , today it’s a keeper . Good Luck you have a solid beginning , be safe.

16. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

Nice project! Looks like Greenfield Green with Tacoma Cream trim. I suppose you already know the trans crossmember has been cut and modded to mount up the current transmission.
    I had to repair the steering box mount on both my 46 pickup and 47 Tonner. It's my understanding that it's fairly common to find them with cracking from fatigue/rough roads. Good luck with it!

17. nice truck-just get it going as is. The green/cream combo is awesome. Also don't call it a "Jail---" I hate the name, not a fitting name for these cool trucks.

18. petelightning

petelightning

@ Jailbar Joe.
    Dual headlights!!
    @ hotrodjack34
    That thing is badass for being built in the 80’s- not cheesy.

I can’t seem to identify the bellhousing or trans. Tried van pelts and also contacting Wilcaps but no answer and I’m not well versed.
    Wouldn’t mind a toploader or something if it’s easy

I am going to keep it as is.
    Lower it, new tires and it needs a lot of work to the back fenders but the rest is is pretty solid
    Thanks!

19. leon bee

leon bee

The bellhousing parts look like everyday 8BA truck setup. Same parts for the 4 speed box or the light 3 speed. My truck, I lifted an 8BA with the car oil pan down in there and quickly decided it wouldn't work at all. Dug out a truck pan and everything was fine. So I'm still curious about that detail.

20. leon bee

leon bee

Also, in my limited experience, the rear mount setup for the 46 truck accepts the newer 48 on engine/trans without any modification whatever. So I'm thinking what you got there is at least the 3rd engine/trans combo that's been in there. Like 59AB, then small block Ford, then 8BA.

21. petelightning

petelightning

So this could be an 8BA from a car paired with a truck 4 speed?
    I really need to identify this trans but I doubt it is late enough to have synchro gears so it will have to go anyways.
    A previous owner also put in an open driveshaft... the past two owners bought it as is

22. leon bee

leon bee

I'm not the expert, hope one of them comes along. These trucks were already open drive, unlike the cars. No real difference with a car engine, different engine mounting, etc. That transmission looks just like a 4 speed I got here, except for there at the back. What I was saying is I put an 8BA engine in my 46 and it fit in there exactly. I used a 3 speed top shift trans and it fit the 46 crossmember setup just right. A big rubber mount goes down there between trans and frame. So I'm speculating somebody cut that crossmember to fit a newer engine and transmission. Then somebody else came along and put the late flathead in. And kinda cobbled the crossmember.

Then, your engine, whether originally truck or car, has a car oil pan on it. And I'm surprised it doesn't foul the steering as I think it would have on my 46. I had a truck pan so I used it. My steering, draglink, looks like it has been cobbled at some point, however. So if yours fits, the pan doesn't matter at all.

I can look at the back of my 4 speed over in the pile. Maybe it's just like what you got, but yours looks weird in your photo. Could just be because of the hacked up crossmember. If you can find one of those 3 speeds it will work with what you got there. When you really need an expert, go over to the Ford Barn, they might REALLY talk your ear off.

23. leon bee

leon bee

I just thought of something else: when I bought my 3 speed, the guy said don't lose this slip yoke cause they're $50 used at the swap meet. Maybe the 3 speed and 4 speed yoke/u-joint is different. What rear end does your truck have?

24. leon bee

leon bee

OK, I'm almost done. Went and clicked around Van Pelt's site, he has a lot of info and pictures. Your 4 speed is probably bone original Ford, but it looked strange to me cause the 4 speed and the 3 speed have a whole different output/u-joint deal going on.

25. The steering box looks correct and original; as someone else noted the steering box mounts often crack and have to be welded. If these trucks had only been driven on smooth paved roads, the steering box mounts would probably last forever without cracking, but most old pickups have been banged around on rough dirt roads and driven across pastures and farm fields. The one on my '38 had cracks welded and an extra gusset added long before I got it in 1966. Whoever fixed it did a good job, so I left it.

26. Zombie57Ranchero

Zombie57Ranchero

Really cool truck! This belonged to my cousin a while back to give some motivation !

Adjustments.JPG Adjustments.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

kidcampbell71 likes this.