Register now to get rid of these ads!

History What Ever Happened to..........?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by OG lil E, Apr 19, 2016.

1. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congrats Ken on buying the Schindel Impala. Ralph Schindel was and will always be considered a Kustom legend. I wish that you had the opportunity to meet him. Ralph had a great heart and built drivers, drove them anywhere at anytime. The kool aspect is he had a kustom free spirit. He built it to please himself not anyone else. Ralph didn't just talk, he walked the walk..

He re-built my Merc and it was after I worked along side him, I realized how gifted he was and why he was considered a legend. While working on my Merc, Ralph asked about other changes that we hadn't talked about. He said that this would be the time to do them. Years ago Clark Grant had given me a '52 Merc dash and I thought it would be kool to run it on my '51 Merc. While I was telling the story he had a grin on his face. He agreed that we had to do it. Ralph told me the story in 1962 he drove a '51 Merc and he put a '52 Merc dash in his Merc. Said he hadn't seen another Merc run one.

Looks like the Impala found a good home. Please keep us posted with your progress.

2. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Og lil E,
    So, do you pull from a list of kustoms you've already worked up, or do you go along as the mood strikes you.

In any case, I enjoy the ongoing look into our hobby's ancestral past. :)

3. What I do is watch video and take notes of a car describing body mods, color, what show it was at, etc. I file the notes and as I do more research I'll add to the notes as I find out more information about the car through more video research, magazine searching or on line information. When I feel like I have enough information to present the car, I post it up.
    Information has been hard to find on a lot of customs lately, so when I feel like I've exhausted all my resources, I'll go ahead and post a car that is short on information just because I feel it needs to be remembered. When I do that I always hope that someone out there will remember the car, the owner, or have stories about them to tell. So far it has worked ok, but the sad fact is that a lot of those custom elders have left us for the pearly gates, and with them a lot of valuable information and memories are lost. This is the sad part of doing the thread..........E

drdave, Sancho, williebill and 8 others like this.
  4. Great post Mick! Ralph was a gem and he is missed. A true custom gentleman.
    Glad to see the Impala is in good hands Ken, and God willing and the creek don't rise, all of us crazy custom faithful will get to see the '58 roll through the gates at some show in the not-too-distant future so we can take it all in once again. Good luck on the rebuild! E

Sancho, John B, loudbang and 6 others like this.
  5. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Jack`s Cad from the Michigan KKOA IMG_20200228_0001.jpg show. Is his Merc behind it.

6. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

My dad took the pic above. I took this one. Fr IMG_20200229_0001.jpg om the same show.

drdave, BigO, Sancho and 7 others like this.
  7. verde742

verde742

think : double back tape !!!

8. ken Vogel

ken Vogel

Hello KustomLincolnLady,
    My name is Ken Vogel - current proud owner of Ralph & Jeff's 58 Impala. I sent a message out a few weeks back when I bought the car - but - not being real familiar with the HAMB site my message didn't get to everyone that had a previous comment on " What ever happen to ( Ralph Shindel ) ?" I made a specific comment in my post not to fret - this car will never see 20" wheels - period !!
    The car is in rough shape - I think it will take 18 months and $ 15,000 to $ 20,000 ( in my personal garage } to bring it back to it's deserving glory.
    1. When I first saw it on ebay - my first though was about a great guy here in Tampa, Fl that had a cool 58 - Blue with
    with scallops, shaved, louvers, skirts, lake pipes - etc. Cowboy passed about 15 years ago and the car disappeared.
    2. Every custom that I have built since 1992 - my 56 Crown Victoria Crown Vic Glass top car ( 1992 ), my 56
    Lincoln Premier ( 1998 ), my 1938 Chevy 5 window coupe ( 2004 ) and my 35 Ford 5 window coupe. Just
    another part of the magnet that was drawing me to the 58.
    3. Both my 56 Crown Vic ( done in 1992 ) and my 56 Lincoln Premier ( done in 1998 ) have the quarter panels
    extended to to back of the continental kit adding 15" and 16" respectfully to the 2 cars. Just another part of
    the magnet that was drawing me to the 58. I mean by this time I'm thinking that the builder of the 58 and me
    were connected without knowing each other.
    4. The 58's motor was gone - I just finished rebuilding a 348 ( early 59 date code ) that was intended for a 48 Chevy
    build that I'm into. Another sign that I was suppose to have the Ralph & Jeff's 58 - I had the correct motor - and
    it's got 6 x 2's.
    5. The seller on ebay had a buyer at a higher price - but through our commications - he said he was convinced that I was the guy to get the 58. He held the 58 for 3 weeks till I could fly to Wisconsin to see and pay for the car.
    SOMETHINGS ARE JUST MEANT TO BE - AND ME OWNING THE 58 IS ONE OF THEM !!
    After I learned what a legend Ralph was by posts on the H.A.M.B. - my wife ( Charmaine ) searched and found Jeff on face book. I connected with Jeff and offered to consult with him through the resurrection process. The planning has begun - actual work should start this summer.
    Ken

9. Wow, that's awesome Ken! Keep us posted how you're progress is going once you get the '58 project rolling. We would all love to be along for the ride. Once again, good luck on the rebuild! E

10. 54delray

54delray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Fremont NE

Here's a photo just shared with me of WEHT #45, Slik 50 Ford. I am in contact with the former owner, Lynn and asking a bit about the magazine and/or movie history. I'll update as I get more info. slick50LynnsFlamedFord.jpg

11. 54delray

54delray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Fremont NE

Here is another of Slick 50 Slick50inBackground.jpg

12. What Ever Happened To..........? number 207.

1960 Cadillac "Sweet and Low'rd"
    Owner: Richard Anglin
    Hamilton, Ohio

Hi everybody! Well, I'm back on the job. My computer checked out ok, but an upgrade probably isn't too far down the road. The tune up seems to be working ok, but my computer still seems to have some issues. Part of aging electronics I guess. I still need to update my modem, but I just haven't made the time to do it. I'll keep chugging along until this computer dies, which hopefully won't be for a good while yet.
    The last time we met we talked about the Semon's wild Merc and Cadillac. As we all know there are oodles of sweet Mercs, but for some reason the '59 and '60 Caddys don't number near as much. Maybe this is because they were practically a custom from the factory, or the fact that they have become quite collectible.
    For this week's custom I decided to keep on with the Cadillac theme and feature another one that I believe is from the Midwest somewhere. Richard Anglin built this wild pink Caddy that seemed to be all around the Midwest in the early 90s. I found a little information about it being at the James Dean Shows in Indiana, as well as at the Spectacular two times in the early 90s. With the information I did find, his home town and state never turned up. If I were to guess, I'd say that Richard was from the Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan area. His car followed the style of these areas, and the shows I found his car at were in that region.
    The first time I saw the Cad on video was at the 1990 Leadsled Spectacular in Holland, Michigan. Richard was cruising around the fairgrounds hitting the switches on his hydraulics and having a good time. The car was very mild with shaved door handles and some trim, and it had to have one of the longest sets of cruiser skirts ever. They were longer than most economy cars of today. It also had a nice pair of frenched antennas. Do all this and paint a big car like a '60 Cadillac pink and you have a real head turner on your hands!

Richard Anglin 60 Caddy a 90 LSS.JPG

Richard Anglin 60 Caddy c 90 LSS.JPG

Like many custom owners over the years, Richard put a name on his car. It was dubbed "Sweet and Low'rd". It was lettered on the quarter panels. The passenger side was lettered just below the frenched antennas. The name fits as the car looked to be the same color pink as the Sweet and Low artificial sugar packets.

Richard Anglin 60 Caddy b 90 LSS.JPG

Surprisingly, there weren't that many shots of Richard's Cad on the '90 video. I guess that's no surprise. Judging by the cars on the video, the 1990 Spectacular was very large and I think Video Bob ran out of tape before he ran out of cars to shoot!
    In 1991, Richard returned to the Spectacular. That year it was held in Hamilton, Ohio. The '91 show was also very large, but the only footage that year of Mr. Anglin's Cadillac was a shot of him cruising into a restaurant. The place was called the "Jolly Drive-In". There were some customs hanging around with their owners eating a hamburger or enjoying a great strawberry shake or some other treat on a warm summer night. He came rolling in hitting the switches on his hydraulics. First the front and then the rear. Watching the car cruise by in front of the camera was like watching an aircraft carrier sail by on the ocean. Man '60 Caddys are big!

Richard Anglin 60 Caddy d 91 LSS.JPG

After the '91 Spectacular, I didn't see Richard's '60 on any other videos. Wonder why that is. I did find a decent snap shot of the car in an issue of the KOA's Styleline. It was in the November/December '94 issue on page 8. It was an article on a small benefit car show in the Cincinnati, Ohio area.

Richard Anglin 60 Caddy e KOA s.l. NoDec 94 p8.jpg

It was lucky I found this picture, because up 'til then, I had no idea who the owner of this wild Cadillac was. I'm still wondering where Richard was from. I'm hoping that one of our custom faithful from the Midwestern states might know Richard and where he was from.
    After the 1994 write up, the trail abruptly ended on Richard's car. I hope we find out the happy news that Mr. Anglin is still around, cruising his crazy pink Cadillac, hitting hydraulic switches and having a ball!
    Well, that about does it for this week. I hope the great kustom threads on the HAMB kept y'all entertained and you weren't missing our W.E.H.T. thread too much.
    I see that daylight savings time starts this weekend. St. Patrick's Day isn't too far behind and then Easter comes in the following weeks. It looks like Spring is finally just around the corner. Thank goodness! It has been one long winter!
    You guys have a nice evening! See you next week! E

Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
    drdave, John B, chryslerfan55 and 9 others like this.
  13. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

no help on the Caddy, but welcome back Ed!! we missed ya!

drdave, John B, Sancho and 6 others like this.
  14. KustomLincolnLady

KustomLincolnLady

Yeah, what Mark said!!

Sent from my SM-G935V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

John B, Sancho, OG lil E and 3 others like this.
  15. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Now I at least know when it is Tuesdays now. I`m still a few weeks behind. From the early 90`s IMG_20200303_0003.jpg Michigan show. Would Richard be related to Steve with the Black Shoebox business coupe.

16. Thanks guys! Nice to be missed. E

17. That's ok Jim. Your posts are worth the wait!
    I'm trying to remember which shoebox you're talking about. Lately my mind has been mush about remembering names. Early stages of CRS (Can't Remember Shit) I guess (lol)! E

18. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

19. Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
  20. 54delray

54delray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Fremont NE

AllSpeedwayWSlik50.jpg GreenRancheroAndSlik50.jpg FinlaysonsCarsSlik50.jpg slik50and32.jpg Here are a few more old photos of WEHT #45, Slik 50 Ford. Also worth mentioning, just got my current issue of the great "Kustoms Illustrated" and Slik 50 gets a half page.

21. I have a small update!
    This evening I was watching the 1985 Leadsled Spectacular video and I found a little tidbit.
    For those of you that have a copy of this video or have ever seen it, you may remember the part of the video where Rowdie did a large interview with 8 or 9 Buick owners. The late Harold Olsen was conducting the interviews as each owner introduced themselves and gave a short rundown on their car. Well, the very first owner interviewed said his name was Richard Anglin from Hamilton, Ohio. He had a black '58 Buick that he was working on at the time. The car was mostly black with some ruddy brown primer where it looked like the "gunsights" had been shaved off the top of the fenders.
    I can't say for sure that this is the same Richard Anglin with the '60 Cadillac from last week's W.E.H.T. (#207), but I'd say it's more than a coincidence. I'm going to go ahead and put Hamilton, Ohio as Richard's hometown and state.
    That's all for now..........E

22. And would also lead one to believe that he is at least somehow related to Steve Anglin....

OG lil E and 54delray like this.
  23. The picture Sancho posted above of Steve's shoebox says he was from Fairfield, Ohio. I looked on my map and Hamilton is just a few miles north of Fairfield. Makes sense to me. Hard to believe that two Anglins living that close wouldn't be related somehow. E

24. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Here`s a pic of Bob in IMG_20200310_0001.jpg front of his Merc in the KKOA calendar I mentioned earlier. Notice the drip rail above the windshield. .And the forsale sign.

25. ^And next to Schindel's '58 too!

26. John B

John B

Talking to Dave Anglin who is a friend on Facebook I have found that he is a cousin to Steve Anglin who now lives in North Carolina.

Dave isn't kin to Richard Anglin though. I found some info on a Richard Anglin but can't 100% be sure it's the one we're looking for. I sent it to Ed to let him decide.

54delray, OG lil E, DANSLED and 3 others like this.
  27. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

That`s why I didn`t crop the picture any smaller on that side.

28. hdman6465

hdman6465
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can tell you for sure that the 58 Buick and the 60 Caddy both belonged to Richard Anglin from Hamilton, Ohio. He had a body shop in town and did many custom touches for everyone around here. He was related to Steve Anglin, who has since moved. Richard has passed away quite a few years now and is still missed by his numerous friends.

John B, stanlow69, 54delray and 4 others like this.
  29. There you have it. It sounds like Richard Anglin was from Hamilton and was related to Steve in some way.
    @John B sent me some information about Richard and it said he was an owner operator of a body shop for many years. @hdman6465 said the same thing above so this must be our guy.
    John sent me his obituary and sadly Richard passed away in 2010 at the age of 64. Another of the custom elders gone. Rest in peace Mr. Anglin..........E

http://browndawsonflick.com/obituaries/1485/richard-harold-anglin/

John B, Sancho, 54delray and 3 others like this.