Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ICON & Harbor Freight TOOL REVIEWS..................

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ekimneirbo, Mar 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Bought many many different brands of tools in my lifetime, even Harbor Freight. We all know the quality level of many of those tools was below par but often got the job done. Since HF has come out with their new line of tools called ICON, they are touting them as being on the same level as the big truck brands. I went to HF yesterday and made my first purchase of an ICON tool. Its a set of metric ratcheting wrenches with long handles and a smooth finish. Haven't had time to try them yet but they look pretty good. Only time will really tell.
    Went back to HF today to pick up a small drill vice with the idea of modifying it into a different tool. While I was there, a fellow came in and I saw him grab the exact same set of wrenches off the rack. I asked him and he told me he makes his living as a bodyman and has a lot of Snap On tools. He wasn't happy with Snap Ons lack of support and high prices so he was buying these to help his son fill up his tool box. He said they were almost identical to his Snap Ons.
    Anyway, the purpose of this thread is for anyone who purchases not only an ICON tool, but any current HF tool to rate it and let everyone see whether they are happy with what they bought. Tell us what you bought and what you paid for it and include a picture if you can. This way everyone can get feedback about specific tools rather than the general theme that "everything is junk". Tell us the specifics of whether you like it or not and why. You can also rate other HF tools besides the ICON brand. This is show and tell time , so put your mouth where your money is........... DSCN1891.JPG
    Bout a hundred and twenty dollars with the 20% off coupon.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
    Hnstray and VANDENPLAS like this.
  2. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Great idea .

chevy3755 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I have a lot of HF tools. Only a few same problems that I had with other MAJOR brands. I'll keep buying HF stuff.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
    Blacktop VooDoo likes this.
  4. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I have found that the base HF tools that spin high rpm, tend to do so enough out of balance to cause fatigue and joint pain for me later. I've experienced this with their angle grinder and with their die grinder.

osage orange likes this.

5. Gman0046

Gman0046

I don't do anything Chinese.

VonDutch51 likes this.
  6. Slopok

Slopok

I'm sure that many of you already know the U.S. General tool boxes are very good and now they have made a series 2 which is even bigger and better.

7. Stooge

Stooge

Hnstray, patmanta and JeffB2 like this.
  8. not that one guy

not that one guy
    from So NV

9. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Guys ..............I think some of you are missing the point of this thread and how it differs from the normal "bitch" threads about Chinese tools vs your favorite. Please DON'T FILL THE THREAD UP WITH GENERIC PERSONAL COMMENTARY. The idea is that people who actually bought a Harbor Freight Tool can identify that specific tool and whether they liked it or not. Generic comments don't tell anyone anything.
    Buy a Friggin Tool and tell us about THAT TOOL. Then anyone else thinking about buying the same tool has a resource before they buy something. Not trying to PISS anyone off, but if you didn't buy a tool, don't waste everyones time .....................PLEASE!:)

10. Not harbour freight. But up here we have Princess Auto.

there tools where junk.
    They had the power fist line of tools that, if they worked they worked once or twice, but the price you paid made it ok.

they now have there pro point line.
    Being a road mechanic I could not justify bringing and loosing my snap on n mac stuff in a tool bag.

I bought a bunch of this pro point stuff 6-7 years ago still have most of it and am impressed.
    The only thing I can say negative is there ratchets won’t take torque like a snap on or grey ratchet.
    But at 10-30 bucks as opposed to 100 plus for snap on, I’m ok with that.

11. PackRatWrecker

PackRatWrecker
    from Kansas

I've got the General 5 drawer mechanics cart, and the three shelf roller cart. No complaints with either. Actually, impressed with how substantial the casters and wheels are, compared to a lot of economy brand stuff.
    The Pittsburg wrenches are nice for the price, albeit not as stylish as Snappy.
    Every time I get a coupon, I pick up the freebie LED light, or microfiber towels. Both are quite handy.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  12. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Where was you computer and/or phone made?

wraymen, 51504bat, Raunchy and 8 others like this.
  13. Moon50F3

Moon50F3

I have some of the Pittsburg stuff. I like them. The wrenches and sockets are good, but I really like the 1/2” ratchet with the handle that extends out for a built in breaker handle. I’ve leaned on it pretty good a few times and it hasn’t broke.

14. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Bought the small drill press vise, other than having to open up the mounting slots a bit to fit a standard bolt to anchor it, it has done fine for my limited use.

Got the orange 12volt battery charger, does the job.

Bought the 20 ton air operated bottle jack, used it to pick up my house!

Sorry, no pics. I’m at work 150 miles away from home where the pics are on the home pc.

15. G'day, Bought the three drawer tool cart as it appeared to be decent. Started putting it together and realized the hardware was all junk. Went and replaced every bolt, nut, and washer with grade 8. Started putting it together and realized that the bolt holes didn't line up well at all. Took a lot of work with the Dremel to get everything to work. I have not been in the HF store since.

16. I bought this and it’s a great tool...powerful enough to break lug nuts...highly recommend

D9E9CE50-C452-4248-87D2-543E4443712F.jpeg

tb33anda3rd and ekimneirbo like this.
  17. PackRatWrecker

PackRatWrecker
    from Kansas

Been looking at the 1/2" version. Listed in this week's flyer for less than a hundred bucks.
    Hard to pass on that, when batteries for my old, worn out Snappy are more.

18. Is it the Earthquake series impact ? That’s a 269.00 tool...if it’s an Earthquake and less than a Hundo I’m going tomorrow...are you sure it isn’t the Bauer tool?

19. Yeah...thought it sounded to good to be true..still a great deal on a good tool if ya need a 1/2 impact
    BA7BCA0E-C70A-4816-BF13-0C99C5488172.jpeg

20. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Bought a 3 inch tire air chuck, it broke in half the first time I used it. Bought a speed controller for 20 bucks. Have it plugged in to my router. Works good. Bought a 20 dollar air drill, leaked air as soon as I plumbed it. In the garbage it went. What do you expect for 20 dollars. A couple years later, I just bought a 70 dollar air drill 3/8 . I oiled it up, It leaked for a while, now when I use it, I am left handed so I hit the reverse switch everytime I use it. EERRR. It also takes a different size chuck than all my other drills.

21. Not even take out?:rolleyes:

22. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OK but Snap On is now making some of its tools in China so be careful which Snap On stuff you buy.

Gasser 57 and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  23. J_J2

J_J2

I had a HF 21 gallon compressor given to me, haven’t had a single problem with it in a year, I subsequently bought an Earthquake XT stubby 1/2” pneumatic impact, long nose die grinder, Titanium FCAW welder and a bunch of other stuff, so far they’ve been great tools. The ICON line is looking pretty damn good as well.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. One Bad Pig

One Bad Pig

The Pittsburg 72 tooth ratchets are good. I really like the 1/4 drive flex head. I decided to put it to the test when I was putting in an engine about a year ago and used it to bolt the engine up to the bellhousing. I put as much force on it as I possibly could and it held up just fine. I was pretty impressed.

Truckdoctor Andy and 6-bangertim like this.
  25. 6-bangertim

6-bangertim
    from California

From time to time, I borrow my nrighbor's H-F bead breaker and homemade tire irons (from a broken leaf spring). Ther hasn't been a bead on a old tire I couldn't break loose - even tires that haven't been off in 40-odd years!. WD-40 helps too!

I had bought a right-angle die grinder, spanner nut had worked loose. Brought it back to the store, hoping they had a wrench to draw it up. Guy just tosses it under the counter, hands me another... "Have a nice day!" Next one has been a goodie, but LOUD, as they all are. Ear plugs or muffs are a MUST!

I bought 3 different O-ring kits, hoping to find the correct one for the shift fork seals in the the side cover of a Sagnaw 4-speed. No luck, but they had no issue taking all 3 kits back for a refund. Buddy with the bead breaker had exactly what I needed!

1/2-drive METRIC impact deep sockets are thin enough to slip into the recessed openings of factory alloy wheels, like on my GF's newer Subaru. A wad of paper shop towel keeps the acorn lug nut positioned just right for starting on the studs!

Pitsburg torque wrenches are ALL made in Tiwan, and the reviews verify their accuracy. At $10, a pop, I carry a 1/2-Drive in my travel tool kit besides one in the shop. Third wrench is in in./lbs. for a job on my OT Sonoma.

PASS on the 3-ton jack stands - the saddles are too small for our full-frame cars. Better to find a pair at the swap meet, or go with the 6-ton pair...

LOVE the $60 aluminum race jack for tire changes, quick jobs where I just need to raise a corner. Handle comes off easy, packs well for road trips. Put a scrap of plywood under it, if you're working in the dirt. HATE the peanut casters, but haven't knocked one off on an expansion joint - YET!

Hell, with a 20% off coupon in every flyer, its pretty hard NOT to give their stuff a shot, and get a free flashlight! Can anyone have enough flashlights?

26. [​IMG]
    A few years back, I picked up one of these for $99 at HF. It's a little different than this, no gas cylinders or side shelf. Drawers slide nicely and even loaded up with heavy tools all this time, the wheels aren't flat spotted and it rolls freely when I push it around the shop.
    It looks suspiciously like some name brand ones I've seen for around $300.
    Glad I bought it.

ekimneirbo and lothiandon1940 like this.
  27. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Oh so very true, I wish they were made in the USA, but they are made in China

28. Even if she has a set of 36 c's and a 21 " waist ??

Baumi likes this.
  29. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

I bought a 110 volt wire fed welder from HF years ago when a friend of mine bought one and said they were good for light jobs. I had bought an old steel seat frame from a Ford truck at a swap meet that had to be shortened and cut down to fit my Deuce roadster and this little welder worked great and still does. I also bought an auto darkening welding helmet that works good too.

J_J2 likes this.
  30. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

:rolleyes: You keep telling yourself that. The BS flag is flying high in your yard. :D
    Most of your household electronics are from China.
    As mentioned earlier, your phone and computer , clothes and shoes we could go on and on.

Gasser 57, stanlow69 and arkiehotrods like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.