Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects DeSoto family cruzer

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by stretch58, Mar 3, 2020.

1. stretch58

stretch58

Hi everyone! Decided I’m going to start a build and I’m going to need some help. A year ago my wife and I found out we were going to be adding a little to our group. So I sold the two seaters and picked up a 1953 Desoto fire dome. I’m personally not a Chrysler guy but something about the car got me and we dig it! Learning a lot of new tricks and how the fluid drive works lol. Anyways... when I got it the previous owner had put 5w20 in the 276 fire dome :( so that’s the first thing I did was change out to some proper oil but the damage was already done! It ate the cam and sprung the crank. Now being that I love old stuff all my friends tried to get me to put an ls in it. No good for me lol. So I was able to find a 330 tall deck fire dome. Currently in the presses of rebuilding it. I’m planning on still using the fluid drive three speed as I have the paperwork of it being rebuilt up at Portland transmission. I’m looking to see what other DeSoto owners are out here that could lend some knowledge:) I’ve been working on classics 1920’s - 1970’s for about 15 years now. But never a baby Hemi. Here’s some pics and I’m looking forward to sharing our journey with you all. IMG_1499.JPG IMG_1497.JPG IMG_1499.JPG IMG_1500.JPG IMG_1501.JPG IMG_1502.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. LAROKE

LAROKE

Keep smilin'

firstinsteele and stretch58 like this.
  3. Looks like a great ride, love that your keeping it old school. Keep us update on the progress.

stretch58 likes this.
  4. Squablow

Squablow

The only advice I can give is either invest in a monstrously over-built hub puller, or plan to swap out the rearend. These cars have rear drums attached to a hub that fits over a tapered axle with a keyway, and those drums are an absolute beast to remove. A leaking rear wheel cylinder can turn into a multi-day project to replace. It's not nearly as bad if you're prepared for it, but it sucks to cripple a car over something as simple as rear brakes because you don't have the tool for it. The dual wheel cylinder front brakes are also a Mopar oddity but they can work if you keep them well maintained.

Otherwise, looks like a well kept old sedan with really nice chrome. Should be a nice old car to tool around in. If you ever get a chance to buy a factory 4 barrel intake for it (either the low deck or tall deck) buy it, they're quite hard to find and make carb swaps a lot easier.

chryslerfan55 and stretch58 like this.

5. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Left hand threads on some mopar wheels, look out for them

stretch58 likes this.
  6. stretch58

stretch58

I actually just picked one up the other day. was thinking about doing the snipper efi system. Ive installed a few at work and there awesome. picked up a big Packard air filter to modify so you don't see it. All the brakes were rebuilt before I got it but yes im searching for a big puller. does a four realy help wake these up?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  7. 270dodge

270dodge
    from Ohio

It all looks good. Cool the talk of efi- not well received here. Wheel bolts-studs are lefties on the left. In that area I have detailed files, all bad. The Desoto was prone to have cracked heads. I recently sold 8 Desoto hemis as it's time to thin the herd.

8. NWRustyJunk

NWRustyJunk

Good to see another Oregon guy with an old Mopar.

stretch58 likes this.
  9. gatz

gatz

IIRC, the LH studs are on the LEFT side when facing forward; makes it easy to remember.
    The ones I've seen are also stamped with a large L

10. Congratulations on the car and the baby(mostly the baby). I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

stretch58 likes this.
  11. wvenfield

wvenfield

When I was a kid (1960's) my neighbor had one of these sitting in his yard. Seemed like a real old car at the time but it really wasn't. He'd drive it on rare occasions. It was in really nice left outside shape.

stretch58 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  12. Gman0046

Gman0046

Should make for a nice cruiser.

stretch58 likes this.
  13. jaracer

jaracer

I can't see the backside of the replacement engine, but I'm pretty sure it has to have the large casting off the back to accommodate the the fluid coupling. I ran into that trying to put a 54 Chrysler engine in a 53 Chrysler.

14. jaracer

jaracer

I forgot to add; neat car. I always liked the early 50's Chrysler products. They had neat touches like the folding knob on the window cranks.

15. 392

Nice looking ride. Congrats on addition.

stretch58 likes this.
  16. stretch58

stretch58

according to me tap it should work. its a early 330 but we will see. otherwise ill have to put an auto behind it.

17. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Don't think DeSoto or Dodge engines ever came with the extended bellhousing cast on. I put an iron Torque-Flite on a 53 Dodge. Straight bolt on.

stillrunners and chryslerfan55 like this.
  18. Mart

Mart

All three of you grinnin' in this one.
    [​IMG]

Good luck with it. (The car and the parenthood).

19. koolbeans

koolbeans

Keep the chin up. Killer car.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. atch

atch

Why does it have a Mercury grill in it?

21. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Beat me to it!
    I had a '54 DeSoto. It was a very smooth and comfortable car. I sold it to a friend 15 years ago and he still has it.

22. Nice.....good luck with the family and that old car !

stretch58 likes this.
  23. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Yes kudos on both . Good see another local on here .:cool:

stretch58 likes this.
  24. Gahrajmahal

Gahrajmahal

I think that’s the first time I ever saw a DeSoto grille in an actual DeSoto. Cool! It will make great memories for your kids.

chryslerfan55 and guthriesmith like this.
  25. stretch58

stretch58

Hardest thing to find so far is the one tooth I’m missing lol

chryslerfan55 and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  26. Looks like a clean car and a great family cruiser!

stretch58 likes this.
  27. gene-koning

gene-koning

I for one vote for the efi, but like said, just don't mention it here. Its really nice to get into an old car that actually runs efficiently all the time.
    It wouldn't take very long for me to swap out the fluid drive and the original rear end. Gene

28. Helloosination

Helloosination

I had a 56 with a 330. You'll be amazed on how much torque it makes. Have fun!

Sent from my moto z3 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

stretch58 likes this.
  29. FLAT6

FLAT6

If you end up wanting to go 4 barrel in the future, I have an intake and carb from a '55 291 Fireflite that I would let go for a good price

stretch58 likes this.
  30. NWRustyJunk

NWRustyJunk

p15-d24.com is another site with a bunch of guys with a ton of knowledge about the early '50s Mopars.