Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Vintage "Non-OEM" NOS Parts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by willys54, Mar 1, 2020.

1. willys54

willys54

New to the Site and wish to ask the experts if there is any significant value in new aftermarket & new-reman parts in original packaging for various vehicles from the '20's to '70's. Main concern is degrading rubber/gaskets in MC diaphrams, glass bowl fuel pumps, water pumps and integrity of clutch discs, brake linings etc.

Parts are not mine but belonged to a generational family owned Western Auto parts store. Reason I'm asking is I know many parts are reproduced these day's so is everyone buying new "China" or are USA stamped parts still of interest?

2. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

Yes, there's interest in whats known as NORS. New old replacement stock.

302GMC likes this.
  3. alchemy

alchemy

I'd rather have an old new brake shoe, but not an old new brake cylinder. Anything with rubber will need to be replaced. Maybe the casting is worth something, but the seals would need to be replaced.

I think old new brake spring kits would be great. Water pumps might still be good, maybe. Anything with no rubber or gaskets in it for sure. Except for wiring, that gets brittle too.

4. willys54

willys54

Was not familiar with that NORS acronym. Thank you.

5. willys54

willys54

Agreed. Thanks for your input

6. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

I'd rather have the old us made parts than newer chinese repros even if I had to replace rubber parts or do other work.

7. Squablow

Squablow

Definite value in some of that stuff, but it makes a big difference what it fits and what the part is made of, as mentioned.

Also, it's worth extremely little in bulk, but will bring better money sold individually and properly identified. A pile of brake shoes from some long-gone manufacturer with no way to reference the part numbers is pretty much garbage. But if you know what specific makes and models they fit, they would have value.

I sell a lot of that kind of stuff for a living. It's not easy money, but there is definitely value there. A lot of the old accessory pieces from Western Auto will have good value as well if it's still in the package, even the stuff that was considered tacky or kitchy in it's day.

8. willys54

willys54

Studebakerjoe, I concur but where would one find the modern o-rings/gaskets etc. to complete a rebuild? Not wishing to waste anyone's time here but wondering if vintage parts are worth the investment. Thanks

9. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

Well rebuild kits are generally available for pumps as well as for wheel cylinders and master cylinders.

10. willys54

willys54

Thanks Squablow,
    The sole reason for bringing up this topic is that many car guy's have helped me out over the years so I'd like to pay it forward if someone can use this stuff.

11. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

If you can find out what the parts fit I'm sure someone on here could use them.

12. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

See if any of the stuff is on rockauto.com. Then you will have an idea of what it sells for.

I have bought boxes full of NORS stuff at auctions, then tried to resell it. It's not easy to sell. If it is readily available from well known suppliers, it makes it harder. But if you can't find it elsewhere, and you have good application data, and there is someone somewhere looking for it, you can probably move it.

13. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

All above is good advice .:)

14. Mac VP

Mac VP

If you can get your hands on the old catalogs (Western Auto I guess) you’re miles ahead of the game. Those would give you the applications for the parts you have. Otherwise, you’ll be asking anyone with old W-A catalogs to help you with identifying the parts......assuming that they are still in their original boxes/packaging.

15. willys54

willys54

I understand it won't be easy or lucrative but I hate to see them go to the dump. Using application data on some of the packaging I checked availablity on Rockauto and found they didn't have most of it. Avoiding electrical, rubber, paper, felt products I'm moving forward with acquisition of metallic parts with application data on the packaging. Mainly rebuilable water/fuel pumps/MC's and hardware such as clutch discs, clutch arms, U-joint assys, ring sets, shackles, speedo cables etc. Also the chrome cheezy accessories since their pretty cool. Most is early Ford, Chevy, Plymouth, Desoto, Packard so I'm gambling someone can use them.

Squablow and williebill like this.
  16. Thanks for taking the time and effort to save the parts. There are a few business's across the USA that specializes in these kind of parts. Where are you located ? Someone could put you in touch with one of these business's, they could be interested in all, or some of the stuff, or help you identify that which you don't know.

17. willys54

willys54

Located in Jasper, Ga. roughly 60 miles north of Atlanta. Whatever I'm able to buy will be available after March 16th. Thanks for the help.

18. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

Yes, that will be a cool stash to dive into. Keep us posted as to the goodies you find.

19. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Check with Northwestern Auto Supply in Grand Rapids, MI.
    northwesternautosupply.com
    Phone # 616 241 5611

20. You don't own your avatar -that injected Studebaker - correct ?

21. As for finding a horde of NOS parts - been doing this for some 45 years. Whats usually found on parts store shelves is - what didn't sell ! I'm always on the hunt for the orphan car parts personally - but even those old cars are being updated to modern/popular engines like Chevy's and the like. EBAY is a great equalizer for the sale of stuff if you really want to sell and make a little money.