Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Model a open drive shaft with mechanical brakes

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 49 fordge, Jan 7, 2020.

1. 49 fordge

49 fordge
    from Floral, Ar

I’m building a model A speedster, but I want to run t5 five speed. This means converting to an open drive shaft. But I really want to keep my mechanical brakes. Is this possible? Has anybody done it?

2. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Greetings 49fordge! I have not done so but don't see why it couldn't be done. Many have converted to open drive and simply split the rear radius rods and added steel bar to the center and the n rewelded them and added a third radius rod from the top of the center section of the rear axle for " triangulation " . I see no reason why this could not be done and still use mechanical brakes...

3. lake_harley

lake_harley

How about a open driveshaft with Model A brakes converted to hydraulic? I converted a set of front and rear Model A brakes to hydraulic similar to what Ansen sold as a kit many years ago. I did it all to use in my '31 Model A coupe but then the whole project went a different direction.

Just in case you'd be interested, I have the Model A rearend that has been disassembled, cleaned, painted, converted to open drive, bearing preloads set, re-assembled and would come with the converted brakes for the rear and the front. Send a PM or call if you'd be interested. In the meantime, here's a link to my classified ad for the rearend and brakes. https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...rive-and-hydraulic-brake-conversions.1176890/

I have some other Model A stuff you might be interested in as well.

Lynn Winter
    (573) 788-2574

4. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Saw this in my Model A magazine a while back, had an article on it and seems fairly straight forward.

A company in Muncie Indiana, called Auto Restorations makes a kit for installing a Borg-Warner T5 transmission in a Model-A. The kit costs $895, and includes transmission adaptor, driveshaft, brake linkage changes, clutch disk, speedometer cable, etc. Presumably everything you need. (765 288-3291, they don’t have a web site) .

tb33anda3rd likes this.

5. 49 fordge

49 fordge
    from Floral, Ar

Thanks for the offer but I have a banjo rearend from a 46 truck as well as the front juice brakes.
    So here is the whole story, I have a Tudor sedan I was goin to try to build a pre war style hot rod out of. I bought a inserted touring engine, with bigger cam, lightened fly wheel, hi comp head, centrifugal distributor, Weber carb and intake, headers. I scavenged juice brakes from the pickup, drop front axel from okie Joe.

And now I think I’m going into the Tudor with a 289 hipo and a five speed.
    So I figured I have all of these nice parts I would build myself a little speedster. Probably gonna use a 27 t roadster fiberglass body, I have two good original model a frames. Well I also have an AA bell housing and a t5 5 speed. And I thought since Fiberglass body why not run the 5 speed, I already have cast iron brake drum and my mechanicals work fine. But with no torque tube I wasn’t sure how to fix rearend linkage and keep the mechanical brakes.
    I would or could be interested in a model a cowl or a T roadster.

Sorry for the novel

6. lake_harley

lake_harley

Aaah! Sounds like you have a plan, and I'll admit it's a bit different than I expected. Have fun with the build.

Lynn

7. kweb1936

kweb1936
    from salem il.

Valley machine shop has everything and also does the conversions.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

8. Chopp'd49

Chopp'd49

The Transmission Exchange (John Baker) has a T5 kit for mechanical brakes and also sells re-Inforced radius arms for the open driveline. He will also supply a rebuilt T5 if you need it. Great customer service and an all around good guy. He is located in Monticello Kentucky. Here is his flyer. 14CD980C-1951-4D6B-AABF-91D9C52E2B24.jpeg B5548D56-AA05-4F7B-8D88-35CC289EFBF1.jpeg 711BB14B-B693-4CC3-97AC-E6699488A138.jpeg 89DC5B83-5F8B-4012-8A2E-B93BAB64A607.jpeg

I just installed his kit in my roadster CAD28068-C770-48B7-8BA5-2FFB390E5C64.jpeg

9. luckylou

luckylou
    from canada

Hi do you have a phone number for john? I can't make it out on the flyer,, thanks for your time

10. Budget36

Budget36

Via Google

Transmission Exchange johnny baker

Transmission shop in the Wayne County, Kentucky

Address: 7841 KY-90, Monticello, KY 42633

Phone: (606) 348-8533

11. luckylou

luckylou
    from canada