Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 32 pickup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shawn Danforth, Mar 1, 2020.

1. Shawn Danforth

Shawn Danforth

Good morning. i am currently building a 1932 ford pickup with a flathead and a 39 toploader trans. does anybody have pics or info on how that trans should mount to the 32 k member ? any info would be appreciated, thanks!

2. uncle buck

uncle buck

I stole these pictures, some from the H.A.M.B. IMG_7832.JPG IMG_7833.JPG IMG_7834.JPG IMG_7835.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

continentaljohn likes this.
  3. Shawn Danforth

Shawn Danforth

ok. i kinda figured just swap out the original 32 trans plate to the 39 trans. what is that split plate in the back? is that for the enclosed drive shaft or a open shaft? does it have a place for the speedo cable still ? thanks

4. alchemy

alchemy

If using the stock 32 rearend, the clamshell clamp is one piece, not split. It doesn't come off the torquetube. The torquetube has the speedo sender in it.

5. Shawn Danforth

Shawn Danforth

im using a 40 ford rear end.

6. manyolcars

manyolcars

Isnt it too long?

7. Shawn Danforth

Shawn Danforth

yeah. i was planing on a open drive shaft conversion. that is where some of the mounting and speedo cable confusion is coming into play..

8. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

If your doing an open drive rear won't you need to convert your 39 trans to open drive also?

9. Shawn Danforth

Shawn Danforth

yes sir! im assuming that is possible..

10. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I did it using 46-48 pickup parts

11. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

If you are using a '39 trans & a '40 rear end, why change to an open drive?
    Just shorten the '40 drive shaft, & put it together !

12. Shawn Danforth

Shawn Danforth

goood point!!! so the 39 comes with that horse shoe bracket on the back , with the speedo cable on it .. i should just be able to put the stock 32trans mount on their right?

13. Shawn Danforth

Shawn Danforth

sorry i dont have my trans yet and just trying to visualize it now to make sure i have everything correct

14. alchemy

alchemy

If you have a trans with a rear mount that has a speedo drive in it, that is an open driveshaft mount. The output shaft is different than a closed drive output. The trans is probably from an F-1 pickup.

It is very simple to shorten the torquetube and driveshaft parts and have a suspension as Henry designed it. It's a basically faultless design. No binding, no spring wrap, works very well, and is easy to install and find parts for. Much easier to set up that trying to attach you wishbones to the frame some other way. And usually requiring additional bracing, and causing an imperfect design.

I recommend you either get a 39-48 output shaft for that F-1 trans and use the 32 rear mount, or find a true 39 trans that you don't need to dig into, and just bolt the 32 mount to it. But if you do decide to do any transmission work, I highly recommend shopping at Mac VanPelt's and buying his instruction book.

15. I assume you have made allowance for the '40 rear end being wider than the '32?

Charlie Stephens

16. Shawn Danforth

Shawn Danforth

thanks for the info guys!!