Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Joe's American Graffiti Coupe with a Man A Fre (Milner Coupe Clone)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nicholas Coe, Feb 22, 2020.

1. sunbeam

sunbeam

Bolt the intake down with double sided carbon paper on the ports and see what you get. The canister should effect the back ports more than the front. Try using just sealer on the end rails you don't know if the heads were milled.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
    Nicholas Coe likes this.
  2. I agree. We noticed that the previous owner used the cork end pieces. That may have been just enough to prevent a good center seal.
    Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Tape off the intake ports so nothing accidentally gets dropped on them , get the correct gaskets , a LITTLE sealer around the water ports , a bead on the China walls , try again ....

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  4. Absolutely. I'll do that today. The tape is a good idea. I can't imagine what I would do if I dropped a bolt in there. I had a friend who "lost" a washer. He found it about halfway through the quarter mile at 110 mph!

5. As far as sync the carbs , use a rubber fuel hose in your ear, put it at the top of each carb and listen, when you have the same sound in all 4 carbs they are in sync. It's like music ther're all on the same note.

Nicholas Coe and saltflats like this.
  6. I'm certainly no expert but those intake ports look like they been hogged out & obviously the divider removed. Maybe leaking around there if gasket slips. Are the intake ports bigger than the hole in the gasket. Did those Man-a-fre manifolds come like that??

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  7. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

They came that way just like the Creitz manifolds………………………...

Nicholas Coe and Johnny Gee like this.
  8. I thought that too. Apparently they came that way. Yes, that is definitely a weak point. We'll be starting to reassemble everything on Monday. We will be extremely careful with our gaskets and silicone.

9. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

before you finish putting this back together make sure you follow @Mike VV post number 23. I suspect your biggest problem to be incorrectly adjusted idle speed screws and improperly adjusted linkage

joel and Nicholas Coe like this.
  10. I agree completely. The idle screws were only used on 1 carb. We're going to add the carbs and linkage carefully and insure everything is properly functional.

11. sunbeam

sunbeam

Most did not have a port divider but some had a small one.https://images.search.yahoo.com/sea...content/comment-image/520364.jpg&action=click These manifolds acted more like a IR manifold and took more carburetor.

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  12. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

all of the idle speed screws need to be set the same or you will have "no vacuum" over the carbs where the throttle bores are completely shut.. also your wet plugs may indicate that one carb is flooding. pull the top off it and check the float level and make sure there is no dirt in the needle and seat and that the seat is tight with a good gasket on it. What number are the jets? my corvette has .049 and is a 350

joel and Nicholas Coe like this.
  13. We're using a Hi-Po 1965 Chevy 327 with fuelie heads. We're running blocked power valves due to the large duration cam. We're currently using 0.60 jets. I do think that it was the idle screws as a major issue. The car wouldn't even idle consistently at the same RPM. We're going to follow Mike exactly. I can't wait to test it with no linkage to see how everything was set up. Thank you!

14. Today is the reinstall day! Wish us luck again!

Gasket test fit before trim. Small silicone smears at water jackets.... IMG_20200302_104934.jpeg IMG_20200302_105517.jpeg

catdad49 and loudbang like this.
  15. Gaskets trimmed and water jackets sealed. Ready for the intake! IMG_20200302_110640.jpeg

catdad49 and loudbang like this.
  16. Intake in on and all bolts tightened to spec. That's all for today. Hopefully, we will get her finished soon! IMG_20200302_135015.jpeg

17. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

18. mcsfabrication

mcsfabrication
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That cannister sure looks like the intake has been sitting on it.

loudbang, Gasser 57 and Nicholas Coe like this.
  19. 333tinman

333tinman
    from MASS.

My friend had a 3 deuce set up on his 327 . we chased a vacuum leak on it and found we could close of air flow to all 3 carbs and it would still run . the throttle shafts where worn and caused a vac. leak . they make over sized shafts and bushing I think he got them from a Pontiac sight . just wonder if that might help .

loudbang and Nicholas Coe like this.
  20. Gman0046

Gman0046

A friend of mine has a 4X2 setup on a 350 Chevy that can't get out of its own way. I'm convinced his car would run better on a single four barrel.

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  21. I'm sure it would!

22. We really thought it might as well. We checked our intake balance and gaps. All looked good.

loudbang likes this.
  23. That is definitely an Idea. All 4 of these carburetors were said to have been completely rebuilt. We may need to look closer. We are going to switch sides with the carbs to see if there is a definite carburetor issue. It is very odd since one side of the intake works perfectly!

loudbang likes this.
  24. sunbeam

sunbeam

Don't give up on the Man A Fre when they are right they really work

loudbang and Nicholas Coe like this.
  25. Thank you! We're installing the carbs now! Image%20(1).jpeg

catdad49, loudbang and Johnny Gee like this.
  26. We've noticed the passenger side of the intake had no idle adjustment cam or screw on either carburetor. This was allowing the butterflies to completely close at idle! That explains the dead vacuum on that side. IMG_20200304_103658.jpeg MVIMG_20200304_103604.jpeg IMG_20200304_103357.jpeg

27. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ Is this one one of those "I knew the problem all along so I'll have some fun with it posts? :cool:

28. No. Not at all! We were totally confused by the symptoms. It's funny how so many things are simpler than we make them out to be. Next week we'll be setting it up and tuning.

Shout out and thanks to:

Ed and Chris at New Age Motorsports
    Larry at Hot Rod Carbs (Automotion) IMG_20200304_103642.jpeg

loudbang likes this.
  29. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Hello! What's that you say?!?!

I think we'v found the answer to the original question here.

Oh well, a couple of days playing with the engine hasn't done you any harm, it's all good.

30. Wow! Totally right! I have also learned so much too. Thank you!

The HAMB family does it again!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
    Blues4U and loudbang like this.