Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods FLAT CAM?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boden, Mar 1, 2020.

1. Boden

Boden

Ok. I’m breaking in my flathead and I hear a tick. I’m honestly terrified. This is my first engine build for my own vehicle. Please listen to this video and tell me what you think . I can’t tell if it’s just the lash ticking or a lifter eating the cam.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. Only thing that comes to mind is do a compression test.If that cylinder is way different than the others then somethings a miss.Did you use a cam break in lube,or add zinc to the oil? If you did it could just be a looser valve clearance.If you didn't protect the new parts putting them together you might be right about a flat lobe.

3. What kind of cam and lifters ,,,brand that is .
    Does it have adjustable lifters ?

Tommy

4. SEAAIRE354

SEAAIRE354

My hearing is terrible but it sounded like it was valve noise throughout the whole engine. Have you isolated it to a particular cylinder?

5. Boden

Boden

Ok. So it is definately a cam noise becaus when I pull plug wires the noise stays. It’s an original 8ba cam reground to SU1A specs. Hollow Johnson lifters. I completed the break in and the noise has not gotten any louder or quieter. I bet once I run the motor more the valves will beat in and the noise will lessen

6. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The valves will beat in? I'm not sure I understand what that means, but I don't think the motor will quiet down much at all with additional running time.

loudbang likes this.
  7. Have you checked and adjusted the valves ?

drain the oil?
    Read the plugs?

Check the valves ?

8. Flatheads don't use a lot of valve spring pressure compared to more modern engines so the pressure on the cam/lifter face is not as high. That makes me think that your noise is more likely lifter clearances are not correct. I would start by pulling the manifold and rechecking valve lash. If the valves were properly fitted and installed and the lifter lash is set correctly you won't hear a thing when it runs.

9. fullhouse296

fullhouse296
    from Australia

With reground hot cams ,I never use adjustables. Too much heavy metal rockin back n forth and the springs can float . I use Isky 185g s and weld the stem ends with hardface Stellite 6 . set and forget and no fancy springs or excessive cam wear .

10. flatjack

flatjack

What did you set the lash at? I generally use .012 intake and .014 exhaust.

Boden and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  11. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Were the lifters new or re-ground Johnsons ? I used some re-ground ones, after 500 miles a couple of the adjusting screws ran down. I had to pull the intake, stake the threads, use green Locktite, re-adjust and let it sit overnight. Fixed the problem.

12. Boden

Boden

Brand new. The adjusters were SUPER SUPER hard to adjust

13. Boden

Boden

.012/.012

14. Boden

Boden

Lincoln zephyr springs, and hollow (light) Johnson’s. Same weight as stock non adjustable

15. alchemy

alchemy

Where did the brand new hollow Johnson's come from?

16. Boden

Boden

Finished the break in yesterday. No problems. Cam lasted . Haha

17. Boden

Boden

I’m pretty sure they were from macs but I’m not 100% sure

18. alchemy

alchemy

Mac's Auto in New York sells Johnson "style" lifters. Not real Johnson.

Now, if you mean Mac VanPelt, he'd probably sell real Johnson's.

If they are Chinese lifters I wouldn't be too sure they'll keep their adjustment. And just pray they don't loose their surfacing and start eating a cam lobe.

Boden likes this.
  19. sunbeam

sunbeam

One thing a ford flathead you can see the valves through the spark plug holes.

Boden likes this.
  20. Boden

Boden

Very true

21. I wonder if the wear surface on lifters is case hardened. If it is case hardened and you regrind them you would remove that thin layer of case hardened metal and the lifter would wear quickly. You could have them re - casehardened but is it worth all that?
    One other thing I found regarding adjustable lifters losing their setting. If you buy a more aggressive cam or get your own cam reground they get the extra lift by grinding the base circle of the lobe smaller. That means your lifter must sink further into the block and you would have to unwind the adjustment several turns more than desired. Then, there won't be enough interference fitting threads left to hold the setting during operation. I think there are quite a few adjustable lifters out there that have been "staked" and locktited to hold their setting. I ended up doing that to 2 of my own lifters that wouldn't hold.

22. One other thing to note is that every time you adjust a lifter, you weaken the interference of the threads making them more likely to slip. Don't play with them back and forth as you set them....the less you move them the better