Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods So have you ever heard a voice in your hot rod?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mikec4193, Sep 15, 2019.

1. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

Only at stoplights .

Deuces likes this.
  2. Deuces

Deuces

Voices...... I hear voices... That's a song fellas...o_O:D
    I don't even know who did it...:(

3. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I keep hearing Alan "Blind Owl" Wilson singing "Going Up the Country" so I usually join in..."where the water tastes like wine..."

Deuces likes this.
  4. Budget36

Budget36

Only voices I recall hearing in my '57, was "YES, YES, YES"...but I was younger then...

5. That's the same voice I sometimes hear. Usually it's triggered by the numbers on the GPS getting stupid. ;)

Deuces likes this.
  6. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

it was there until i shut off the radio ,

Deuces likes this.
  7. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

:p

Bandit Billy and Deuces like this.
  8. If y'all don't know it please check out the song by David Ball - Riding with Private Malone. Good stuff. Even is the car is a year O.T.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    There were two times that I can think of when I was a teenager that I heard voices while working on our hot rod/drag race cars. One: I was given the job of doing the rear axle gear changes in my brother’s 58 Impala after he taught me how to do it correctly. So, for weeks on end, starting on a Thursday night, I did all of the prep work, got the tools, jack stands, and hydraulic jack ready. Then as my brother went back inside of the house to do whatever, guitar, study, read magazines, I went to work on the exchange.

upload_2019-9-22_4-28-44.png
    After several times during the 1958-59 years, this was the standard weekly activity for me. I did not have a driver’s license and this was my job, IF, I wanted to go somewhere in his Impala. Drags, yes, friend’s house, yes…baseball game, yes…so it was planned out. My mom did not drive, so she had no say as to what I did for my brother and my social life using work for rides in his Impala.
    upload_2019-9-22_4-29-6.png
    One night I was under the car and was completely tired from the after school basketball game. But, I knew I had to complete the exchange of the rear axle gears from the 4:11 to the 4:56 Positraction gears. That did make a difference at the Friday night cruising/races and definitely the Saturday events at Lions all day and night. I caught my self waking up to the feel of oil dripping on my hand and arm. I had fallen asleep during the first couple of stages.

Then before I could bolt up all of the nuts around the circular pattern, I thought I heard someone telling me not to screw up and to get going. (not my brother, as he was inside of the house) I could not believe I heard something, but again, I was completely tired and sleepy. By the time I was somehow finished bolting down all of the nuts, I fell asleep again.

This time, my mother came out to wake me up and yell at me. Then she told my brother to finish up as I was told to go inside and go to bed. (Subconsciously, it was probably the thought of my brother telling me to finish the rear axle exchange and kept popping up during that “drifting off dream” sleep stage)

Jnaki
    The 58 impala was safely tucked away in the front, two car garage and the 40 sedan delivery was sitting on its place in the backyard, so I had to attend to some side business in the converted backyard garage. I was eerie quiet back there and I got to work right away. I had a side business of repairing surfboards and glassing pre- sanded surfboards with a high gloss finish.

The other time hearing what I thought were voices was when I was inside of the backyard garage finishing up re-glassing an old surfboard. It was several years later in high school. The scene was sometime after dinner and getting dark quickly. Prior to the final mini sanding finish and super gloss, I closed the garage door and slightly opened one of the crank windows.

It was cold and needed some warmth for the gloss finish to harden. So, I turned on a small floor heater on the other side of the room. After putting on the final gloss, I sat down near an open window and was reading a magazine. I found myself with the magazine on my face. I did not know how long I had been sleeping. It must have been in the “waking/dream” stage as thought I heard someone telling me to get up and finish the job. The voice was as clear as day and being awake. I was so sleepy, but managed to get up, open the garage door and check out the clear gloss finish of the surfboard.

The final glossing had hardened well, looked pretty good and somehow I did not die from inhaling those glassing fumes in that small backyard garage. How long was I in there? Someone was looking out for me, to be able to lead a fun life and end up with a ton of memories.

When I told my brother, he laughed and said I was lucky that I did not die from the fumes. But, who the #$!!! was that voice?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
    Hnstray, Spooky and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  10. sunbeam

sunbeam

It was private Malone saying you SOB you just wrecked my Corvette.

Deuces likes this.
  11. Yes my 29 Ford roadster with the 425 nailhead says "Punch It" every time a Corvette shows up at the stop light. Yes the car talks to my right foot.

Deuces likes this.
  12. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

I have never heard voices, but I did get a message from "beyond". Folks that have read through my build thread might recall that I acquired the '58 when my brother passed in 2010. Almost a year to the day later I discovered this message on the back wall of the cab while relocating the fuel tank. Definitely my brother's handwriting...

message.jpg

13. Spooky

Spooky

No voice in any of my cars but I swear my '62 Galaxie Sunliner did not like my girlfriend. When ever I gave Rachelle a ride my '62 would either stall, run rough or would not start up. Even the heater would blow cold air.

14. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ "Love is kinda crazy with a spooky little girl like you. Spooky!"

SS327, Deuces, cfmvw and 2 others like this.
  15. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Hey some days it is the only way to get an intelligent conversation,

seb fontana, Deuces, Truck64 and 2 others like this.
  16. Can't say yay or nay about spirits . ghosts or any other unexplainable stuff.........................that being said, one night I did hear a voice while working late in the shop......sounded like....WKBW!!!!!!!!Buffaloooooooooo......then they played the" Rats in my room" song.............convinced me that there was for sure, strange shit going on that we would never understand.

Deuces and Nicholas Coe like this.
  17. Mopar Tony

Mopar Tony

What are you saying as far as ghosts of people don't act this way? I'm just curious.

Deuces likes this.
  18. Mopar Tony

Mopar Tony

I think people making fun of this is kind of crazy since there is so many people who have documented these experiences since the beginning of time.

As for the car question this one hits even more of a personal note for me. My grandfather was my father figure and raised me with my grandmother. We spent a lot of time together as he is the one that got me into racing, old cars, and customs. Growing up I followed him around the shop and the acreage like a shadow helping and learning anything he would teach me. When I was a teenager we would work on his 51 ford together and cruise the car any time we had the chance. Years later he found out his health was failing as dementia started setting in and he didn't know how much time he had left so he gave me the 51 ford because he wanted to make sure I ended up with it. It still sat in his garage and I'd go over 3 or 4 times a week and drive him around like Miss Daisy (our inside joke). About 3 years later he ended up in the hospital after he was assaulted by a guy during a road rage ordeal. We were told he was brain dead laying in a hospital bed and I felt sick to my stomach. I was his power of attorney and his care taker (even though he still lived on his own but that is what he wanted) and at the age of 21 I didn’t really know how to process what was happening as it was such a shock. I had to go to the hospital and talk with the doctors on his condition as he wouldn’t wake up and they wanted to know if we were going to have him stay on life support or take him off. I knew in the past I had conversations with him about how he didn’t want to end up in a home or have anyone else take care of him. He stated and I quote “If I can’t wipe my own ass I don’t want to be here anymore.” I knew he would want us to let him go but I couldn’t so I left him on the machines praying he would come out of it. A few days passed by and I was in the hospital room and as clear as day I hear his voice say “Boy it’s time to let me go.” I looked up with chills going down my spine as I looked at him still unresponsive yet I had heard his voice so clear. At that time, I had to make the hardest decision I have ever had to make and instruct the doctors to take him off life support. I sat and waited for a couple days and he was still with us despite being off the machines. I had to go home and get a shower and had the Chaplin stay with him while I was gone. I had just got out of the shower and got dressed heading to my car to go back to the hospital and when I rounded the corner into my dining room I saw him standing there smiling wearing Earnhardt hat and his overalls. Smiling he nodded and faded away right in front of my eyes. I ran to the car to get to the hospital but then within a minute I got a phone call and my grandfather had passed on. He was cremated and placed in an urn. After his service he was placed in his seat in old blue (the 51 ford) and was driven by me to the cemetery as I felt like he needed this one last ride. It may sound crazy but since then I have still seen him sitting next to me in the car even in the broad day light. My wife swears she went into the garage one day and seen him sitting in the car as well and she doesn’t believe in spirits. When I used to give him a ride he would reach over with his arm on the back of the seat and grab my neck then pat my shoulder and I have felt this a few times as well. You can call me crazy all you want but I know what I have seen and experienced. I still think he watches over me every day.

Attached Files:

19. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

I hear voices in my head quite often when working on my car but they go away when I take my headphones off.

Deuces likes this.
  20. Cob, we both see the same shrink, could it be extrasensory perception? :D HRP

Deuces likes this.
  21. silent rick

silent rick

i can't hear a damn thing, it's too freakin loud

Deuces and Beanscoot like this.
  22. cfmvw

cfmvw

Back in the late 1930's my Grandpa had a 1928 Chevy coupe when he was courting my Grandmother. It was green with yellow wheels and had an annoying habit of breaking axles; he soon learned to carry a spare axle, and had a broom handle with a leather strap for pulling the broken stub out. Not sure what became of the car, but we used to hear stories about it every now and again at various family gatherings. He passed away in March '92, and my Grandmother lived another 18 years. She ended up in a nursing home with dementia after a bad fall, so conversations with her could be very entertaining at times. One day she told Mom that Grandpa had found the old Chevy coupe and he was fixing it up. Over the next couple of weeks she would mention it and what Grandpa was doing to it, although if you asked her about it she would have no idea what you were talking about. Then one day she told Mom that Grandpa wanted to take her for a ride; he was holding the passenger door open and beckoning to her to join him, but she wasn't sure if she should go. But Mom told her it would be fun and encouraged her to go. It wasn't long after that she passed away. I like to think she took him up on the offer to go for a ride - and I hope he remembered to pack a spare axle in the trunk!

23. A 2 B

A 2 B
    from SW Ontario

I remember the old stories of farmers picking up radio signals coming from their fences and people receiving signals playing in their head from fillings in their teeth. Until I experience anything like that myself, I will continue to believe there is a logical explanation for everything.

Deuces and Nicholas Coe like this.
  24. I ain't 'fraid of no ghosts. :eek: :rolleyes: o_O

Deuces likes this.
  25. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

Only when I'm driving and I hear, "Slow down!", "You're going to get us killed!", "Pull over and let me out!", and "I'm never riding with you again!".

Oh, and once in a while I hear, "Pull over and have your license and registration ready"! :eek::D

Deuces likes this.
  26. b-body-bob

b-body-bob

My PC speakers used to radio station at night. It took me a while to figure it out, because when I'd turn the volume up or unmute the speakers it would stop. I can see how you could spook yourself. In my case it was one of those AM radio ranters, so it was like a time warp back to hearing a Hitler speech at very low volume.

Deuces likes this.
  27. trollst

trollst

Well, I wasn't gonna post, but my dad died at 53, May 18 1983 at 11 o clock in the morning on the kitchen floor of a massive heart attack. I was summoned from work, got there and he was still on the floor, we waited for the coroner, me and a young cop, I helped the coroner load him up on what looked like a fridge dolly and together we wheeled him to the van. I have never had a worse day, but also never had a more interesting day, during the time waiting for the coroner, my dad was speaking to me, giving me instruction on things to come and his wishes. I've never been religious, or believed in shit like this, but I swear to all of you it happened. Some years back, in 2011, my mom had been in a locked ward for dementia, my dad's birthday was coming, he woke me in the night to tell me he was going to get my mom the night before his birthday, and she left us the next morning. I have many times felt his presence, never anyone else, never my mom, but I have seen him, I am the oldest of five kids, he always made me the boss, my siblings have never had these experiences, and would tell you, of the five kids, I'd be the last one to say this happens. I can tell you, I DO see him.

28. 6sally6

6sally6

I HAVE!!!!!
    It was my 'spouse' whining...... "this thing stinks......it's not safe.....there's no shoulder straps.....it's too noisey.......why do you hafta 'take-off' like that all the time.....I hope you don't wreck us.....I'm going deaf...no wonder you're hard of hearing....these seats aren't comfortable......you coulda bought 2 new Mustangs for what you have spent on this thang.....you think THIS is fun??.....watch out for that car..... how can you even think in this thang.......I wish you'd spent your money on something 'WE' could enjoy together....you need gas again....high test is more expensive than what I buy........please slow down....why are you tailgating.....you're just trying to aggrivate me.........
    A GREAT way to get some alone time!!!!!

29. A 2 B

A 2 B
    from SW Ontario

Ha! Good thing it all just bounces off hey?

Deuces likes this.