Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Southeast Gasser 50 chevy wheel stander project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Quain Stott, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

They tell me I need to keep one hand on the steering wheel because at times it could come down hard and bounce around so bad I won't be able to find the steering wheel until it's into the wall. After being told that I started looking at old pic and most all of them have one leaver. They go front to back but that just don't seem natural to me so I made this one side to side. Plus got to shift once in there somewhere.

Thor1, chryslerfan55, AHotRod and 3 others like this.
  2. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Since the ratio is going to be adjustable on the stick I have to make the mounts for the cables adjustable so it will line up like it should in one of the 3 holes in the stick.
    First I whipped out 2 brackets to mount the cable to the adjustable mount. (further back in the thread I did a step by step on how the brackets are hand made with out fancy modern equipment. IMG_0811.jpg IMG_0814.jpg IMG_0815.jpg

3. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Now the cross member that it will all mount to. Since I'm going in one inch increments and using one inch tubing for the cross member I had to notch the tubing just a little on each side to clear the bolts. IMG_0813.jpg

4. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

I made up 4 bushings to weld in place IMG_0816.jpg IMG_0819.jpg IMG_0820.jpg

5. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Now to make some brackets with the adjustments holes and weld them to the cross member. In the 2nd pics the brackets for the cables are bolted on in two different positions to show the change that can be made. IMG_0823.jpg IMG_0827.jpg

6. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Now with the cable adjusters and cables in place with the adjustment set to line up with the center hole in the stick. IMG_0828.jpg IMG_0829.jpg

7. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

The cross member installed with the adjustments set up for the center hole. . IMG_0830.jpg IMG_0832.jpg

8. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Cynthia got a pic of me trying it out for fit. I think this is going to be fun. IMG_0834.jpg

Thor1, mad mikey, Just Gary and 11 others like this.
  9. Gas57man

Gas57man

Looks pretty neat Quain. I'm gonna try to start on one by mid summer. If things workout,it'll be a od ball

Thor1, loudbang and Quain Stott like this.
  10. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Make it 1960's correct so you can run it at SEGA events. I'm thinking about making some simple rules in case someone else wants to run one at an SEGA event. I don't want it to be a class but it would be a good filler for down time. Just have to keep the 1967 theme for anything on the track during an SEGA event.
    If one is good two will be better.

11. AmishMike

AmishMike

Brakes looking better. If ride & bounce hard look at how some off-roaders build suspension in seats. A real bad bounce can hurt your back of seat hard - even with tight belts

12. -Brent-

-Brent-

Quain, that brake set-up is pretty trick. Nice work.

13. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Tom And Harold cutting the rusty bottom half off the bed and replacing it with a new home made bottom. Used .032 sheet metal with a few simple breaks. IMG_0855.jpg IMG_0860.jpg IMG_0864.jpg

Thor1, mad mikey, 62hotcat and 7 others like this.
  14. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Normally we make most everything in house but these patch panels from Summit Racing were only about $40 and I can't make them for that, not even close. Yea Summit has more than just racing parts. Tom White used them to replace the lower cab corners. Here Tom rolled a small off set around he edge to let it set behind the original sheet metal so it's now a flush finish so not much bondo. IMG_0868.jpg IMG_0869.jpg IMG_0870.jpg

Thor1, mad mikey, 62hotcat and 6 others like this.
  15. AHotRod

AHotRod

You are a master craftsman Quain

enloe and loudbang like this.
  16. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Don't judge my skills on this project LOL, it's just a throw together fun project that the whole shop is having fun with. We only get to work a few hours per day on it so we are rushing through it. Thanks for following along and enjoying it with us.

Thor1, OahuEli, AHotRod and 5 others like this.
  17. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

This is just standard sheet metal repair but I thought some of y'all might want to see how much work went in the rusty body and that anything is possible to fix. Here Tom is cutting out and replacing the panels. Before anybody says anything he has his eyes closed when tacking the panels, I do wonder how he keeps his beard from catching fire LOL. IMG_0871.jpg IMG_0918.jpg IMG_0922.jpg IMG_0872.jpg

Thor1, AHotRod, mad mikey and 7 others like this.
  18. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Here's a pic of how the bed will be mounted. Since everything was rusted away Harold just made these 1 X 1 outriggers that will weld to the bed side then bolt to the chassis so the bed can easily be removed. The temporary brace going across the top has a jacking screw at the bottom to adjust the height and hold it in place but will be removed when finished. IMG_0856.jpg

Thor1, AHotRod, mad mikey and 8 others like this.
  19. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Love the welding naked. :cool:

20. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

CORONAVIRUS LOCK DOWN LUNCH AT Stotts Speed Shop.
    It's been a long time since we stayed at the shop for lunch, kinda cool setting around the welding table having lunch. Tom White is having Vienna Sausage and Beanie Weenies, Harold Bradey and I just having a Sandwich.
    Sorry haven't been getting much time to work on the truck with all the craziness going on in the country. Hope to be back on it next week. IMG_0961.jpg IMG_0963.jpg

21. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Did take time to build a set of step headers for this super cool 31 ford Southeast Gasser A/Gas car since I posted here last. IMG_0966.jpg IMG_0967.jpg IMG_0968.jpg IMG_0971.jpg IMG_0972.jpg

22. rtp

rtp

Quain, I am over near Cliffside,NC if I bring my lunch can I come over and hang out? And maybe help with the truck.

Sent from my VS987 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Thor1 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  23. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Your welcome to come and have lunch with us anytime but I hope this mess passes over so we can do more than eat at the shop. Better always check to be sure we are going to be there first tho. I run parts at lunch so I sometimes go early.

Thor1, catdad49, enloe and 3 others like this.
  24. rtp

rtp

Soon as I am done with the honey do list, she still working me not so much.
    I may just ease that way one day.
    We live about 3 1/2 miles from Shadyside. Can hear racing at Gaffney at night and Shadyside in the afternoon.
    Always come to see the gassers, somehow the wife is into what you guys do.
    Go figure never cared much for drags before.
    So all I have to say is gasser and she is ok with it.
    You may just see me soon ... Now to fix the range,storm door , fix the mower ,cut the grass, etc etc.....

Sent from my VS987 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Thor1, catdad49 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  25. Sounds like you’re going to be busy for a while. And let me just say Mr. Stott, that first time I ever heard your name I was watching IHRA pro-mod racing and I believe you were running a 41 Willys coupe.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Thor1, enloe and Quain Stott like this.
  26. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers

Thank you for making this thread and posting your progress. Looks Great!!

Thor1, Quain Stott and MO_JUNK like this.
  27. AHotRod

AHotRod

Those headers for Gabriel's Sedan are AWESOME !
    I love that car, it would be cool if there were more '30's Gasser's.
    Glenn

Thor1, Quain Stott and -Brent- like this.
  28. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Time to work on the wheel stander is getting hard to find in the last few weeks. We did get some more of the simple metal work started and again we cheated with ready made panels from Summit. Here is the cut out needed to fit the new panels back in place. IMG_0994.jpg IMG_0995.jpg

Thor1, catdad49, enloe and 2 others like this.
  29. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

It is amazing how well these panels fit back to the old 70 year old body. IMG_0996.jpg IMG_0997.jpg IMG_0998.jpg IMG_0999 (1).jpg

Thor1, catdad49, 62hotcat and 4 others like this.
  30. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

chryslerfan55, I made my living running Pro Mod for 19 years. 14 years was IHRA then I went ADRL and in that time I did select NHRA (won Bristol NHRA national event). 17 of those years was the Lee Boy sponsored 63 vette. 2006 IHRA Pro Mod world champ and many time national event winner. It was all a long time ago but really good memories that I like looking back on. One reason I'm so much into the old school ways now is because I have been there done that in the modern world.

bchctybob, Thor1, raven and 7 others like this.