Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods sbc cross ram

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jalopyjoedirt, Feb 26, 2020.

1. Deuces

Deuces

ofy-5903_w.jpg ofy-5893.jpg From Summit.....
    I'd install studs in the lower intake and not worry about stripping threads.....;)

loudbang, Tickety Boo and mad mikey like this.
  2. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Use anti seize .......are you planning on removing and replacing it often ?

loudbang, mad mikey and Deuces like this.
  3. Plus a neat thing with the offy set up is they did offer a couple different top plates you could run. The had the cross ram 2x4's, a single 4 and even a tri power plate.

loudbang and Deuces like this.
  4. Chief 64

Chief 64

I might be drifting out of HAMB territory here but would't it be cool if your son in laws cousin's brand new Z/28 Crossram ended up in a museum. I don't know if any of you have been to the Gilmore Car Museum but they have a 13,000 square foot, 1928 Ford dealership that is a re- creation of a Model A time period dealership. I love walking through that exhibit and looking at original parts and restored Model A's. It is like a time machine going there. In 20-30 years from now picture future car guys going to a museum and seeing a 1969 Chevy dealership and seeing a famous brand new GM crossram in the parts department display. That would be cool!. ( I am not suggesting the current owner gives his away, I have no right to tell him what to do with his auto parts, I was just having a museum moment there and thought it would be cool history in a museum)
    Greg

5. 51farmtruck

51farmtruck

The cross ram engine is a 355", flat tops, Howards Hydraulic cam, ported GM bowtie heads, HS roller rockers, M/T intake, 660 center squirters, vertex magneto. The car weights 2200-2300lbs. Muncie 4 speed and 4.88 gears. It ran 7.60 @ 95mph in the 1/8th

You mentioned smokey rams, the new engine in the car is a 383. 10:1cr, Isky solid lifter, AFR 210cc heads, HS roller rockers, SY1 smokey ram, 850 demon, Magneto. Same weight, same rest of the drivetrain. The car ran a 7.24 @ 100mph in the 1/8th.

The car would obviously be faster with an automatic or if I had enough balls to powershift the muncie.

37006116_417192958789062_1575109436819636224_n.jpg

loudbang, Deuces, Budget36 and 7 others like this.
  6. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

These cross Ram intakes like 200cc & larger head flow & like to live in 7,000 plus RPMs on small cub SBC ,

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  7. bchctybob

bchctybob

Of all the things to run across in the shop today; pictures of my first Austin, with the cross ram. That’s an early 283 (no side mounts and staggered valve cover bolts) bored to 292, 11:1 compression, Isky solid cam, C&O hydro. Looks like it was way over-carbureted but I drove it all over the place and it ran fine.
    I bought the car, complete with the engine new but apart including the intake for $350. Those were the days, huh? IMG_2341.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
    saltflats, loudbang, Deuces and 5 others like this.
  8. Screenshot_20200228-163743_Google.jpg

9. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

I love to power shift a Muncie , at 72 that's doing something , trouble is, I can't afford broken stuff , so I don't power shift any longer ....

Deuces, X-cpe and bchctybob like this.
  10. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I had an Edelbrock Smokey Ram for a short time in the mid 70's on a 12.5/1 c/r 355.
    Was in a street/strip 65 Malibu, it ran real good, then put it in my 65 ElCamino and drove it through one winter while rebuilding the 327, not the ideal combo but it worked, definitely was "iffy" in the snow though with the light butt weight of the Elky.
    I had never really flogged it seriously and subsequently built another drag car and switched to an Edelbrock Tarantula/750 Holley, I did often wonder how the SY-1 would have worked with a 2x4 crossram top.

Deuces, olscrounger and bchctybob like this.
  11. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Bob, Looks like a can of Gasgacinch on the cowl, great stuff, love the logo !

1947knuck likes this.
  12. bchctybob

bchctybob

I saw that too. I guess I've been using it for quite a while, the photos are from the early '70s. I've got a fresh one on the shelf for assembling my Olds. Also, bare flanges bolted to the head. I guess I was starting to build the headers, I worked for Hedman at the time.
    Funny what you remember, I drilled and tapped the valve cover rail for 10-32 screws so I could use the chrome 327 valve covers I had on the staggered pattern heads. Worked great.

13. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

It would be interesting to see some flow tests, and a back to back tests on a big inch small block.;)

The Offy really looks appealing, :cool: air has to keep the fuel suspended down the tubes around some bends. A big inch small block might be able to move the air fast enough sooner.:rolleyes:

Deuces likes this.
  14. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

Deuces likes this.
  15. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

Ass Dyno :D:D:D

Deuces and Max Gearhead like this.
  16. G'day, One of my SY1 intakes has had all the bolts replaced with ARP studs and will probably be the one that I am going to try. I have one that was from Smokey's auction from the Best Damn Garage and I told my wife I wanted that one buried with me. Yeah I know that nobody needs 4 Smokey Rams but tough.

I was talking to a local head porter/former funny car driver and he pointed out how small the ports are in the cross rams compared to my Brodix and Victor heads. I don't think any of them would like large intake ports in the heads as there isn't enough port in the intake to match them. I would tend to believe him before something that was "off the internet."

Tickety Boo likes this.
  17. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

Feeling get hurt when they see the real numbers :(

Tickety Boo likes this.
  18. Ericnova72

Ericnova72
    from Michigan

The SY1 I worked with was too small a port opening to match a Dart Iron Eagle 215cc head port, the Fel-Pro #1206 gasket size port.
    The roof of the port opening in the SY1 did not have enough material to port it that big...in fact, it barely covered enough to seal as it was. You could just see the outside edge of the silicone silkscreened seal bead around the port on the gasket across the top of the port outside of the manifold casting when it was all bolted together.

It would take some serious welding on the manifold base to get it big enough to match any of the modern performance head's port size, as most have raised the roof of the port at least .100" from factory location.
    This was a build where the owner wanted to use that specific manifold, due to it being a legacy from his deceased father, despite any performance that would be lost. He had it Jet-Hot silver ceramic coated give it an easily cleanable and durable finish, and it looks smashing!!

Tickety Boo likes this.
  19. Budget36

Budget36

I can tell my story about a cross ram, only one I had seen in person.

I raced a guy in a '55 Chevy car, me in my '57 Chevy PU. Raced him 3 or 4 times on Sante Fe road. I have a BBC, him a SBC. I'm running it through a TH400, he with a 4 speed.

I pulled him off the line, all times we ran that night. Just past the 1/4 he flew by me each time looking like I was standing still.

I'd never seen a vehicle go by me that fast, After talking with the guy, seems he put a 12 bolt in the '55 , but never understood about gear ratios, he told me he never got 1/2 way through third gear.

I kinda think then (40 years ago)it had to be a Z/28 intake, this was in the late 70's.

All I know is if he had the proper rear gear, I'd know if he could hook up, no way I would have even known what color his bumper was.

Man that car had some topend

Deuces likes this.
  20. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

olscrounger likes this.
  21. This is from a conversation I had earlier tonight, I'm in blue, we are on the same page there at least, just not on the only can work at 7,000 rpm part.
    Screenshot_20200229-002100_Messenger.jpg

Tickety Boo likes this.
  22. Not a direct comparison but here's a 327 that John Linginfelter Performance did, it seems to have very good manners from start to finish.

Deuces and ramblin dan like this.
  23. Deuces and Tickety Boo like this.
  24. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

Swade41 , I would like to see the Graph,
    By Sound of the 327 low compression 10-5-1 or less , (maybe by customer request) by the sound The Cross ram was just starting to flow around 5,000 rpms ,

The point I was stating , is there a lot of cool looking parts People bolt on ,then they have issues with drivability& idling , most of the time over cfm, & donot know how to tune carbs or engine .
    Cross Ram on small cubs under 380 to perform to full potential like close to 12:1 and higher , & in the 7,000 plus rpms.

Deuces, loudbang and Tickety Boo like this.
  25. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I have a Weiand crossram on my 396 powered drag boat. I don’t have any dyno proof but it does turn 500 more rpms on top end compared to the dual plane 750 Holley setup it had before. Runs and idles great and best of all looks cool as hell. I know it is not a sbc but I just wanted to show that these do run and you needn’t be afraid to try it

B86E63ED-120D-4AC4-BA24-E4033CC18AE4.jpeg AE3D9B2E-7796-426E-A279-C16B200FF4BA.jpeg

26. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

If what we do, is always for horsepower, there wouldn't be a traditional engine used.

Just Gary, 1947knuck, X-cpe and 4 others like this.
  27. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

28. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

I want me one of them Hilborne dual quad manifolds. The turquoise is nice but make mine fuchsia.

Blues4U and loudbang like this.
  29. They used to, not sure if they still do the intake. With what you get in that ad, your looking at about market value. You can still get the carbs ($1k a piece) and the various linkage and brackets (lots of special stuff for this set up) The air cleaner set up is a 68 version. I know "correct" looking reproductions of the original style were recently fetching around $5-6k while a real deal 68/69 complete setup is now around $15k.

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  30. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

Guess this is how you put a MOPAR in your Chevy....No company had much more time with cross ram manifolds than Chrysler...It started with their 413/426 Max Wedge and continued with the Hemi Superstock cars...Even the 300 cars had long ram manifolds...

Deuces likes this.