Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Muncie rebuild

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 66cayne, Feb 28, 2020.

1. 66cayne

66cayne

Any of you guys rebuild a Muncie trans by yourself? I have an M22 and M21 that I want to rebuild . This would be my first time. Both trans have tight 1" pins in their cases so I shouldnt have to re-machined and bush the cases. I am a decent mechanic and have all the tools needed. Have seen a few You-Tube vids of rebuilds. So how hard was it really and how did it turn out?

2. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Muncies are probably the easiest trans to go through, get a book, watch utube videos , have a large area to work at and a couple old baking pans to catch parts ...

3. Get the Paul Cangelosi book on Muncies.

lumpy 63 likes this.
  4. scrappybunch

scrappybunch
    from nj

Plus 2 on Paul C. Also watch his youtube vids. I did my first muncie back in the 70's when I was 18. If a punk kid could do it with no previous experience, you can do it with all the info found on the net and books.

5. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

Done a few 4 gears and the only touchy issue is when you put the cluster gear back in the case with all those greased up roller bearings...Nice if you have a dummy dowel to hold them in place...Everything else is no big deal..

Wanderlust and X-cpe like this.
  6. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

rebuilt my Muncie from my 71 vette using Muncie Basics video.purchased the parts from paul cangelosi and spoke to him on the phone.nesessity was the mother of invention.turned out ok.and a lot cheaper doing it yourself.

lumpy 63 and Nicholas Coe like this.
  7. I done these for the past 55+ years......quite easy to get a good result. Replace all bushings, thrust washers and syncros. I have a wood dowel to insert in the cluster gear to keep the bearings from falling out......make the dowel the same length as the gear, then drive it out using the steel carrier after inserting into the case.

-Brent- and wvenfield like this.
  8. Finn Jensen

Finn Jensen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Absolutely agree! Paul has done a great job of covering all the bases in his book and on his videos.

bobss396 and lumpy 63 like this.
  9. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

21 years old, just graduated from sweeping floors & painting the walls at my first mechanic job. Boss started me out with a Chev 3 speed, then same with OD, then a T-10, and when they all worked great, he let me do a Muncie in a Corvette … his instructions for each of them - remove all the parts in there. Lay them out in order, identify the worn or broken items & give me the list. I'll get you the parts, and you'll replace everything in reverse order. We had factory shop manuals for everything in case memory failure occurred ...

10. Terry D

Terry D
    from NY

You can do it.Many times you don't even need to remove the cluster gear.I have a wooden dowel made for that if needed,but the problem is usually worn engagement teeth on a gear.You should buy the tool for removing the input nut and you should have access to a press.And a service manual.If any part looks iffy I just replace it... it's easier than doing it twice.

11. Wanderlust

Wanderlust

Two times on the dowel, it will save so much grief,and find the stickiest grease you can for those pesky needles

12. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Not hard at all. Use a dowel as stated..

Btw, I believe my m22 was a 1-1/8" shaft.

13. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Marine grease holds things together nicely.

302GMC likes this.
  14. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you still have it, hang on to it! It's the rarest one ever built!

15. X-cpe

X-cpe

They make something called assembly lube (grease ?), really stiff and sticky. I think it was originally intended for auto transmission reassembly. The stuff we have at school is blue in color and comes in a small 1/2 pint tub.

16. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just remember that the input shaft nut is left-hand thread. Everything else is a cake walk. :cool:

17. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

"Many times you don't even need to remove the cluster gear"
    Of course you do - how are you going the inspect the cluster for washboarding and pitted needles ? Any rebuild is less than complete without complete teardown.

427 sleeper likes this.
  18. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

For the m-20 small countershaft trans , a piece of 3/4" cpvc water pipe cut a bit shorter than the inside the case measurement will hold the bearings and the thrust washer in place during assembly... Many Muncie cases have the frt countershaft hole " egged out" . Try and find a machinist who will make a bushing and bore the case , keep in mind that it needs to be a press fit......

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
    triumph 1 likes this.
  19. To have mine fixed 2 years ago including a new counter gear set, better used input shaft, all the bearings and washers, drilled for a 1" shaft plus he used other good used parts and it ran me just under $400. It did not pay for me to crack it open. But I have no fear of them.