Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical OK, 'splain this to me...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gotta56forme, Feb 28, 2020.

1. toxic waste

toxic waste
    from Iowa

Yes! That's right . LOL

seb fontana likes this.
  2. toxic waste

toxic waste
    from Iowa

In real life when running fuel injection. You shut off fuel first and it leans out . Causing it to rev up before killing the magneto. This keeps excess fuel from filling engine.

3. Gman0046

Gman0046

Toxic waste, yeah right. In real life, the car in my avatar the engine is fuel injected and doesn't work the way you described. It shuts down the same way any engine shuts down smoothly with no engine revving. The same goes for several other fuel injected engines that I've had.

gotta56forme likes this.
  4. toxic waste

toxic waste
    from Iowa

We are traditional here so this is for machanical fuel injection.

Chris, D.Lee, mad mikey and 5 others like this.
  5. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

Is his arm hanging out the window..... too soon? HOTRODPRIMER....too soon?

6. Not to speak for toxic,,,
    But I’m guessing he’s talking traditional mechanical fuel injection complete with a Magneto.

guthriesmith and winduptoy like this.
  7. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

My car has a big block. It`s timing is advance a bit for easier starts. So I give it a little gas when turning the key off so it doesn't diesel. Or I could just turn it off in gear.

gotta56forme likes this.
  8. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

^^^ that's what my dad told me many moons ago. Rev it up and kill it as u let off the throttle to keep the higher compression motors from dieseling.

gotta56forme likes this.
  9. It’s advanced or retarded timing?
    It’s easier starting when?
    Lower rpm helps prevent run on or dieseling

mad mikey, loudbang and 427 sleeper like this.
  10. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Mine`s the opposite.

11. Just dont mention elbows

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Montana1 likes this.
  12. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Alex, I'll go with, " I do it because I like the way it sounds" for $100.......

13. Harley's are one thing we know the riders are lacking......our cars ?.....should be cleaned out before we turn into the parking lot.....so all of us can hear a clean motor......not after you park.....it just makes us laugh !

gotta56forme likes this.
  14. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

When we were teenagers, we did it just because we thought it was cool, although I did hear the ol' "clears the plugs" tale a time or two. We also drove around using the throttle to announce the fact that we had a manual transmission, reinforcing the automatic-equipped guys' cases of 4 speed envy.

15. Budget36

Budget36

Same reason a dog licks his balls, because he can. Well, at least the dog licking his balls serves a purpose...

16. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Some guys rev their engine up and shut it off at high rpm, this floods the cylinders with fuel. My Dad would run the engine up for a while on some of our ranch vehicles to give the batteries a little more charge. I saw him doing it , so I did, but I turned the ignition off at high rpm..........once!

Bones

17. Now that's how the Harley guys got started, the early Harleys had to do this exact thing to keep the oil slung around while idling.

Reading this thread does show that some of the guys with stock motors don't necessarily understand a high performance engine, they do not act like a stock one, so those rules don't apply.

18. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My Dad always gave it 2 quick final "blips". Said it was for the 2 pumps.
    Speeds up the oil pump, gets the oil pressure up and oil to the top of the engine...for the next "cold" start
    Speeds up the fuel pump (mechanical) and fills the fuel bowl for a quicker re -start.

I still do it:D

gotta56forme likes this.
  19. gotta56forme likes this.
  20. Latigo

Latigo

Just the big dog pissing to mark their territory.

gotta56forme likes this.
  21. I always thought it was because their momma took 'em off the breast milk and switched 'em to the bottled stuff too early. :rolleyes:
    They carry that feeling of not enough love and personal attention all the way into adulthood, I guess. :oops:

22. Give it a little extra charge so it'll start later.

gotta56forme likes this.
  23. This silly question has been asked many times. My grandma used to do this too. She’d rev that 455 toronado before shutting it down.

Anyways, here’s at least one honest answer.
    Because There’s a whole bunch of bull here in this thread so far. bullshit mostly, bullying, getting puffy, and general nincompoopery as well.
    A839A533-25D2-4A2E-933E-E64981E6ED16.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
  24. carbking

carbking

If the engine is equipped with a turbocharger that shares the engine oil sump, this practice can KILL the turbo. Spoke to the engineer in charge of a newer (OT) factory turbo set-up, and he suggested a MANDATORY 30 second idle each time before the engine is turned off, to allow the turbo to spin down.

I have always done so with mine. Engineers generally do things for a reason.

Jon.

25. Best answer!

gotta56forme and Blues4U like this.
  26. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

The 30 sec idle period is to allow oil to cool the bearings down and prevent coking.

Budget36 likes this.
  27. desotot

desotot

what you meant to say was tiny piston syndrome right?

gotta56forme likes this.
  28. 03GMCSonoma

03GMCSonoma

I did it when I was growing up because I had a 312 Y-block with glass packs that my dad could hear me 3 or 4 miles away.

gotta56forme likes this.
  29. Scumdog

Scumdog

Nah, you're right, the old guys (way older than us) used to do it for exactly the reason you said. Less swinging on the crank handle.

Now it just washes oil off the bores with the sudden rush of gas and the key being turned off.

gotta56forme likes this.
    jimmy six and gotta56forme like this.