Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical TOOLS: Cheap Surgical Loupes: looking for

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrCreosote, Feb 28, 2020.

1. MrCreosote

MrCreosote
    from USA

"Reading glass" optics have you working 2 inches from your nose - loupes let you work at arm's length. They can produce 2.5-3.5 magnification at 16 inches. Even higher magnifications but around 6x, the doctors switch over to surgical microscopes.

My dentist paid $5000 for his, but they start at $50 on eBay.

I believe there exist cheap ones with acceptable quality (clarity, depth and field of view, weight, illumination). I've read the ratings it's hard to form any opinion.

I've been hooked on stereo microscopes since the 70's and have 3 nice ones. I have the uber Fisher Scientific boom stand that lets me inspect valve seats among other things. (once you remove a splinter with a SM, you'll never go back - in fact, that was how I was introduced to them.)

[​IMG]

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

good idea - see surgeons wearing them too - but, be sure to take them off before you get behind the wheel of the car

Budget36 likes this.
  3. Budget36

Budget36

The cheap dollar store magnifier glasses allow me to work at arms length as well. I have 4 or 5 of them in various places in house and in the shop

olscrounger likes this.
  4. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

5. vintage6t

vintage6t
    from CT

X-cpe likes this.
  6. birdman1

birdman1

It will ruin your eyes!! Lol

7. MrCreosote

MrCreosote
    from USA

If you are using visors or reading glasses, if you ever look through a stereo microscope, you'll be blown away.
    Shortly after that you'll want surgical loupes.

NOTE: if you are working at "arms length" you don't have any magnification. Strong reading glasses "magnify" because they allow you to work closer than your eyes will focus. I used to be able to focus 1" from my nose - I used to paint the insignias on HO scale soldier dress uniforms with my naked eye. Now my min focal length is 10-12 inches. Moving from 10" to 1" is 10x magnification.

8. Frank Carey

Frank Carey

9. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

No doubt these would be a good thing to have but I don't understand what you mean above. I'm using dime store reading glasses to read this right now, 2 feet from the screen. Take them off, it's a blur. Same thing digging through my bolt bin.

Budget36 likes this.
  10. Ain’t that some shit,,,,
    Stick your head into a wheel well and you can’t see anything.

11. MrCreosote

MrCreosote
    from USA

The stronger you get those reading glasses, the shorter the working distance. When I work under a dash, I have to take at least 2 different power reading glasses for "near" and "far" stuff. (there is even a cheap plastic 2-stack adjustable lens reading glass that has a manual "zoom" adjustment - also saw a youtube where they said readers over +2.50 are illegal w/o a prescription. Go China!)

RE: Wheel Wells! Ahhhhh...they Suck! You should see the various lenses I have for my welding helmets for working in close quarters!

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  12. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota