Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Pinion Angle Change with Coil Springs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Vetteman61, Feb 18, 2020.

1. Vetteman61

Vetteman61
    from Tennessee

Hello,

I need to change my pinion angle. I need to raise the pinion up between 3 and 4 degrees. My car has coil springs in the rear. I’m not sure how much adjustment can be made before the perches on the axle would have to be relocated. Will the springs be able to absorb a lot of the movement? In order to do this, I am thinking I will need to get aftermarket upper rear adjustable control arms as the stock ones have no adjustment of course.

Just to prevent the inevitable comments, there is no room to raise the transmission to meet the angle of the pinion, so I’m forced to raise the pinion.

Thanks,

Brandon

2. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Telling us the car your working on would help.
    KK

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3-4 degrees at a coil spring perch is virtually meaningless.

I have built 4x4 rigs that probably rock that perch 20°.

4. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Mr. Vette -

More details would be a very good thing..! Maybe even a picture or two.
    Depending on a lot of things, as was said above, the springs/seats "shouldn't"...be bothered by 3° or 4° angle.
    BUT...without more information on the exact suspension/spring setup you are working with, there is really no way of being sure.

WHY...do people leave critical details off of question posts ?

Mike

bobss396 likes this.

5. Vetteman61

Vetteman61
    from Tennessee

Because the car this applies to is off topic, but the information and question asked can be universally applied. I have found this website to be one of the best resources for accurate and wide ranging technical automotive knowledge so I like to be able to pool the resources here when possible. The type of car is less important than the subject of the question, is 2-4 degrees a huge mistake or a small issue when rotating a rear, coil sprung axle for pinon angle. I believe that question was answered.

6. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

According to what I’ve read and witnessed in dirt car racing; u-joints can actually cover 22 degrees and that’s 11 up and 11 down. I’m not saying you should go with those numbers but it’s what they can tolerate. You need about 4” of movement on the trans yoke and it’s why you can buy longer ones.