Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Anyone running a solid lifter cam on the street

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pbr40, Jan 6, 2020.

1. pbr40

pbr40
    from NW Indiana

Elcohaulic, bowie and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. 51farmtruck

51farmtruck

Its a 383 sbc.

37006116_417192958789062_1575109436819636224_n.jpg

pbr40, Jalopy Joker and Elcohaulic like this.
  3. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

When we were racing in the A/Stock car class against other 348 powered Chevys, we could see the new one coming into the fray with more powerful motors. My brother knew our Impala racing days were slowing down as it was hard to keep up with the new 4 speed and 20-50+ more horsepower, hot, stock cars. The list was growing, with each new model year car coming to the races, we were being bumped down and out every time. Most of the time, the higher horsepower factory cars had a different cam for the extra power.
    upload_2020-1-23_3-44-37.png
    So, one day he said a cam and lifter kit would give us more horsepower, but that we could no longer race in the stock classes. It would be against street legal coupes and sedans in the gas coupe classes. But, with some added income, he got a new cam grinder from LA’s latest cam and solid lifter kit, springs, valves, rockers, etc. When the Impala was ready, it did make a more powerful sound and needed some adjusting to get it running correctly. The cam grinder was new and had a catchy name, Racer Brown Racing Cams.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...zzies-speedshop-decals.1159835/#post-13231077 Racer Brown

We did not know how much added horsepower was gained, but the performance was so much better. The zero to 60 times were quicker and that meant we gained a lot more horsepower for our once stock 348 motor. We ran it like that for a while and it was my job to keep the solid lifters adjusted well before any race on the weekends. It was one of those early solid lifter cams that required adjusting to make the motor run quite well.
    upload_2020-1-23_3-45-18.png
    Not many hot rods were running Racer Brown Cams, as Isky, Howard and Engle were the top brands (in hydraulic and solid lifter kits) for most hot rod builders. After the encounters, those other hot rod guys/girls were believers of the Racer Brown Cam and full kit.

Jnaki

For us, we were successful at Lions Dragstrip with the 58 Impala. When we added the Racer Brown Cam and full kit, it made us that much faster. (But, now, on the streets only…) With the final addition of a C&O Stick Hydramatic transmission, that was a new episode of “Hole shots” in our encounters. The 4:56 gears, the C&O, and the Racer Brown Cam/Lifter Kit (plus a few extras) made owning the Impala and driving on the streets of So Cal that much more pleasant. Also, it was very successful in our cruising encounters.

There were plenty of miles of cruising the streets of So Cal. Forays into the Big Bear City/Lake regions during the winter and summers, and a few long distance road trips to the desert put on miles of cool running/enjoyable power. The 4:56 gears got changed for 4:11s for the long distance drives. But for the much longer distances, we borrowed the 3:78 from my friend’s 57 Chevy Bel Air Hardtop.

For those exchanges, he was happy to have 4:56 or 4:11s for his 57 Chevy Bel air sedan. It depended on what he was going to do for the weeks that we exchanged those gears. Solid lifters for the street? Not a problem for those early grinds, as long as you did not mind the adjustments to keep it silent and powerful.

We drove the 58 Impala from 1960 until we sold it in the fall of 1964. The Impala ran very smoothly and had the power to make life interesting.

4. Itchy-Pit

Itchy-Pit

289 with 302 heads custom ground cam solid lifters and roller rocker arms. 10,000 miles no adjustment yet.

olscrounger and pbr40 like this.
  5. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

does a 1950 216 count?:rolleyes:

pbr40, LAROKE and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  6. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

My friend had one as a field car..Engine was so quiet couldn't hear it from ten feet; probably had a good amount of old time sludge to dampen any noise..

7. Like any other part on an engine, it gives you another tuning choice. I ran one for about 30K in a OT Chevelle, a L88 first design cam. After about 1500 miles I readjusted them .003 tighter to get rid of a light lag on acceleration. After that I adjusted them for the new owner at 47K. Poly locks. Strictly for the street
    same idea...stick or automatic ?

olscrounger likes this.
  8. WanatahHustler

WanatahHustler

Go Hydracula roller and never look back. street setups are pretty reasonable now. look at Erson, they use top tier roller lifters and I will gladly come over and rub massage oil on your back as you work.

pbr40 likes this.
  9. Roothawg

Roothawg

What just happened here....

10. pbr40 likes this.
  11. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Back in the early '70's I ran a 30 30 Duntov cam in a 283 in my '62 Impala. Setting valves was a monthly affair whether it needed it or not. There was usually one or two off. Sure did like the sound of it though.

12. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The 57 312 in my 57 Fairlane has the stock solid lifters and cam in it . I run a diesel engine oil the same oil we use in our farm tractors and trucks . Its been to Branson twice , Springfield ,MO , Gore ,OK twice and on a couple HRH here in OK. no complaints .

pbr40 likes this.
  13. mrhp

mrhp
    from MICHIGAN

E6ADFF18-A709-4EED-9F99-921E9D590B9E.jpeg Thousands of street miles and hundreds of 1/4 mile runs with a solid flat tappet cam. I adjust every other year or so. Probably 5000-7000 miles. Most times only a few need to be adjusted. Not really an issue at all. I run Lucas 10w30 hot rod oil. It has more zinc in it.

Okie Pete, olscrounger and pbr40 like this.
  14. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

- to do warm/running engine adjustments get a pair of old valve covers and cut most of tops off to minimalize oil running down block

Okie Pete likes this.
  15. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

The sbc in my '31"A"Hiboy roadster has a Comp Cam 268XE solid lifter cam with the Comp Cam lifters having a .012" hole in lifter bottom to give positive oiling to lifter/lobe interface. I'm running Comp Cam moly steel roller rockers and took particular care with rocker tip to valve stem contact point to get correct pushrod length.
    No problems whatsoever and I love the "purr" of the lifters at 3k cruising @70 mph with the open cockpit and no hood:cool:
    BTW, I adjust lash cold, engine off using the "EOIC" method, and since my heads are aluminum, I set them about .004-.005" tighter than Comp Cam specs. Aluminum heads expand faster and further than the steel valve train parts and actually loosen up lash when engine is hot.:)

olscrounger likes this.
  16. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Something I use to always do and sure helped to stabilize the adjustment with posi-locks, was to spot face the rocker stud ends so the set screw on the lock had a flat face to seat against. Seemed to hold adjustment better. Course this is for screw in studs as you had to spot face them in a lathe. . Lippy

17. pbr40

pbr40
    from NW Indiana

Well I made the leap! Bought a Herbert solid but I swapped out the 3/8 rocker studs for 7/16 for a little more stability. Thanks for all the input.

oldiron 440 likes this.
  18. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I haven't used a hydraulic cam in a project since the mid 80s. I've used Lunati cams, Comp cams, Mopar performance cams and a Crane cam. I buy cam and lifter kits and had good luck. I use Brad Pen break in oil then Amsoil Z Rod. I don't have problems with valve adjustment problems or frequentsy. I'll run through them in the spring and again mid summer.

pbr40, dirty old man and olscrounger like this.