Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 41 FORD PU FENDER? Huh?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bandit Billy, Feb 27, 2020.

1. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pictures are practically self explanatory. I have 2 nice rear fenders for my truck. One of them has had some surgery.
    upload_2020-2-27_13-18-20.png
    You can see it has the cutout on the inside for the raised panel in the bed sides but no spare tire dent.
    It also is shaped a bit odd on the lower inside panel when compared to the left side fender below
    upload_2020-2-27_13-20-29.png
    It has been modified to fit something and then re-drilled to fit a PU running board.
    upload_2020-2-27_13-22-0.png
    I bought a patch panel to fix it but not sure about what I will walk into when I start grinding.
    upload_2020-2-27_13-22-54.png
    Anyone know what this fender is off of? I like the no spare tire dimple, easy enough to fix, just curious what the truck experts say.

2. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Well pour yourself some of your favorite lubricant in the shot glass, grab the grinder and let's see what's in there!

Bandit Billy likes this.
  3. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I categorize drinking problems by the size of the glass. I have degenerated well past the shot glass but I am not yet to the pounder so I consider it under control. Besides the DR says I could have 3 drinks a day, why waste it on a shot glass?
    Inside
    upload_2020-2-27_16-27-39.png
    and outside
    upload_2020-2-27_16-28-17.png
    Solid fender! Nice old repair. Gas weld, had a thin coat of bondo on it. Funny, we were talking on another thread the other day about filler over bare metal I think it was Highlander who said if you grind out your old bondo job that was applied directly over bare steel you will find rust due to the moisture the bondo collects as it cures. Sure enough, there was some brown that was not likely there when the body man mudded this repair back when.

Going to blast the paint off of it inside and out and re-work that edge only with a piece of that patch panel I bought.

Judging from the inside, that fender which is perfect, but was adapted for use on a 1/2 ton PU. But what 40 ford takes a longer fender that has a relief for bed sides and no spare tire dimple?

kidcampbell71 and The 39 guy like this.
  4. flatford39

flatford39

Maybe not a Ford car but a home made trailer??? People are pretty creative when they have no money but plenty of time on their hands.

Bandit Billy likes this.

5. tim troutman

tim troutman

my guess is 45 46 47 Ford truck

olscrounger and Bandit Billy like this.
  6. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd say no, the inside is factory perfect! And I mean sanitary!. This had a Ford app

7. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If that the case why the dropped running board mount?. Maybe big commercial trucks had a need for lower running boards and no spare?. I have no idea!.

8. It is likely a 46-47 Ford pickup fender. They did not have the dimple for the spare tire on the passenger side and if you look closely at one of these trucks you will see that the fender is a little longer in the front as the runningboard hangs down a little lower on that truck and they mount to the runningboard differently. The '40 rear fenders are hard to come by and expensive so the solution is to find a good 46-47 fender and cut off the bottem where it meets the runningboard and weld on one of those patch repairs instead. Voila....instant 40-41 pickup fender.

9. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Excellent reply! And thank you. You taught me something new today