Register now to get rid of these ads!

Perspectives On Print From Steve Coonan

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Feb 26, 2020.

1. WillyKJr

WillyKJr
    from Blackstone

Good stuff Steve. I am a long time member of the HAMB and long time subscriber to TRJ. You and Ryan have a much better feel for the state of the print community than I but from a personal standpoint it is simple. I enjoy all of it an adapt as necessary. I subscribed to all those mags that you mentioned going away recently. I did my part with subscription payments and general support but they still are gone. I believe that they shot themselves in the foot by not providing good content for the last couple of decades. Too many same-same and shared stories/articles were just plain boring. The majority of all those mags were ads. I sort of felt their demise coming for a while because it was clear that money and not passion was the driving force.

I check the HAMB every day because it is an ardent niche I am fully committed to and entertained by. I look forward to every single issue of TRJ. I check the internet "info" sites regularly also. I try to put each into it's proper context. The HAMB is the best for what it is. Period. TRJ is the best for what it is. Period. General info/results/coverage sites you talk about are the Dunkin Donuts of the internet. They don't have to be good they just have to be everywhere, all the time. The quality of these sites is generally poor but they have info we may want so we check them out. The context is poor. Most of the "contributors" can't spell, use proper grammar or compose above a seventh grade level but that is good enough for what they do and what their audience is after.

I don't have any idea what will happen to print media in the future but I know that I will continue to support all publications of high quality like TRJ. I appreciate the quality and the fact that it is truly worth my time sitting down and reading every word of every page of every issue. The love of what you do shows in the product. It is not just a money maker for you and that love a commitment shows, just like the love and commitment the community has for building and enjoying these cars and the lifestyle it fosters.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    D type, MJW, kidcampbell71 and 3 others like this.
  2. Steve told me a little while ago that the publishing delays that were the result of the cross-country move were [kind of] my fault, so sorry guys, you can blame me ... and ... well, maybe one other guy who at this point, will go unnamed.

Steve and his faithful crew are back on course, better than ever.:)

3. Michael Ottavi

Michael Ottavi

Steve, keep on trucking!

loudbang and 31 B'ville like this.
  4. have every issue form #1 to now.. Thank you Steve for great magazine .. can't wait for the next issue...

loudbang likes this.
  5. jim snow

jim snow

I too have them all. I have met Steve a few times and he always has time for a chat. I also remember when he had hair lol. Snowman

lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  6. TRJ

TRJ
    Alliance Vendor

Thank you all for the positive comments. We really appreciate all of your support, whether you've just begun subscribing or you've been with us since issue #1 like some folks who have posted. A few of you have asked questions or made suggestions, so I'll try to address them here.

@HEMI32 Ryan is correct—we have found a new U.S. vendor for the slipcases and have approved a prototype. We hope to have them back in stock in approximately 30 days.

@loveoftiki you don't have to twist our arm when it comes to mid-'60s drag racing stories and images. It's one of our favorite eras, and we've got some stories coming up that we think you're going to like.

@Lepus we do plan to be set up at some East Coast shows (in addition to others across the country and on the West Coast), but we have not finalized our schedule quite yet. We will keep you guys posted on that. Regarding the Revival, we would like to do another event. Pimlico is supposed to be undergoing a major renovation and we've considered other options, but that will be a little further out.

@i.rant we've been chipping away at a comprehensive, searchable index for some time, and we are close. We've covered a lot of ground in 83 issues though and it's taken some time to complete. It shouldn't be too much longer though, and we'll let you guys know when it's done.

I think that covers it, but let me know if I've missed any specific questions.

Thanks again.
    Steve

Scooterville, D type, Sancho and 13 others like this.
  7. V8RPU

V8RPU
    from Nor Cal

I was at a Goodguys Pleasanton a long time ago. There was a booth with a couple of guys announcing a new magazine. When I saw that Steve and Pat Ganahl were involved in the venture I subscribed. This was before issue #1 had been printed. I have every issue and am a lifer. I wish TRJ the best, we all need to support efforts like this.

8. I have #14 up to present. Great reading! It must take a herculean effort to put this magazine together every month! I took advantage of your latest promotion and got a cool T-shirt with my new sub.

lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  9. JakesA

JakesA

Would Rodders Journal ever consider doing reprints of the earlier editions?
    Not the bound volumes, perhaps with slightly altered covers like 1948 HOT ROD reprints.
    To keep both collectors of the originals and those missing the same, happy?

10. Woodie

Woodie

I was at the "Street Rod Nationals" when the first issue of "TRJ" was unveiled , and I picked one up to look though it, and commented to the young Lady in the booth, how much I liked what I was seeing, and would she pass that on to the Editor, and she said, "why don't you do that your self. he's standing right there." Steve turned around and said "that's me" and I asked if he would sell me #1, and sign it.? He did, and I still have it in it's original wrapper, as well as every one since.! Now I'am a "lifer" so I will continue to add to my collection.!! Thanks to you, Steve, and your staff for being a survivor, and will continue to produce one of the finest publications to come along in a long time.!!

11. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Keep up the great work! I’ve been along for the ride since issue #1 and always look forward to the next one. As far as the HAMB... Thank you Ryan, this place rules!

12. Graham08

Graham08

I would love to see this also...or even a reprint of hardbound volume #1. I have every issue from #5 on thanks to the hardbound editions 2-4.

13. TRJ

TRJ
    Alliance Vendor

It really is humbling to read your positive responses. It's cool to see some familiar names on here, as well as a lot of folks that we haven't met yet. We look forward to meeting more of you at shows and on the road, and we really can't thank you guys enough for all the support you've shown us over the last quarter-century and all the kind words you've shared here.

Frogz, Scooterville, bowie and 5 others like this.
  14. 0ldracer

0ldracer

Nobody works harder than Steve and his crew!! Keep it up Steve!!
    TRJphoto1.jpg
    TRJphoto2.jpg
    TRJ61_SS.jpg

jim snow, lothiandon1940 and TRJ like this.
  15. TRJ

TRJ
    Alliance Vendor

Once again, thank you for the kind words everyone. Without your support, TRJ wouldn't be possible. On that same note, we were talking with @Ryan and he suggested that it would be okay to mention our subscription sale, which we've extended through this Friday at midnight.

You can read more details on our website, but basically we’re giving away a free T-shirt along with a one-year subscription and a complimentary TRJ poster for a discounted rate of $49.95. This offer is good for new subscriptions as well as gift subscriptions and renewals.

Here’s a video we put together that showcases some of our recent work.

You can take advantage of the savings here for U.S. and here for international.

16. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

My new TRJ t-shirt arrived by mail today! :D Quick service!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  17. W Scott

W Scott

Thanks Steve for doing what you've done in the past, in the present and what we all of look forward to seeing what you turn out on into the future. I vividly remember when we first met back in the early `90s. It was a photo shoot for the final release of the popular Hot Rod Show World program (for Michael Sheridan as memory serves) here in Idaho's capital city. I was awestruck at the time and effort you put into shooting nearly two dozen cars in a variety of locations over the span of just two days. Never learned so much about photography until watching you long before the sun came up until well past the sun set. Format camera on a tripod, Velvia transparency film and the keen eye of the setting, the angle `n perspective of the image you were shooting and multitude of other elements you had all but perfected.

I remember you telling us about this idea you had and your plans to start a new publication in the very near future. I kind of recall you mentioning something along the lines of The Surfer's Journal, at least that's how I remember the conversation. Honestly, really glad we bought every issue that inaugural year and all since. It's like the holy grail, treated like an artifact from the royal family when it first arrives. Can always remember my Dad referencing it as the bible is here.

Both you and Ryan hit the nail on the head. Our industry digs what both of you have to offer. Both TRJ and TJJ/HAMB offer us hot rod `n custom fanatics a place to enjoy the essence behind our industry.

We're grateful for both entities. Thanks again for all the hard work and effort.

Scott

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    Lepus and lurker mick like this.
  18. Love this sticker Marcy gave me... 0F50D9E9-AB08-46D5-BD42-300CAB58148B.jpeg

D-Russ, Frogz, Sancho and 1 other person like this.
  19. I am also a lifetime member. I look forward to every issue, I usually read it in one sitting and then many times over while waiting for the next issue. Keep up the great work.

20. Just placed my order tonight! :) :) :)

J.Ukrop likes this.
  21. JOHN H EDGE

JOHN H EDGE

C8721A8B-F5EB-4DFC-A3AC-E06737A53428.jpeg 84378B3A-F95A-46C6-9C6E-7DDF8D0E03C7.jpeg Had the pleasure of spending several days with Steve while he worked his magic finding the right place and perfect sunset for my buddy’s 32 coupe and toured our shop and even included my lowly wagon in that issue. Hope you find time to visit us again along the beautiful gulf coast of Florida Enjoy every issue of Rodders Journal

J.Ukrop likes this.
  22. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

Let's hear about the elephant in the room. Actions speak louder than words, I'm a lifetime member also and I haven't seen a new issue in six months or more.

23. Ummmm I think there’s some other stuff going on right now that’s taking priority...

24. verde742

verde742

I WILL SELL ALL MINE.. COVER PRICE, PLUS SHIPPING...

25. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

Get real, the magazine should have come out months ago.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. I’ll take the first 4....

27. verde742

verde742

NOW, 1-10 are sold..