Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 33 Ford Headlight help

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 335wcoupe, Feb 25, 2020.

1. 335wcoupe

335wcoupe

I'm trying to assemble my headlights. I got new reflectors, the cork gasket for the reflectors, new rims and original glass and cans. I bought the rubber seal that goes between the rim and glass.

My question is do I "glue" the rubber gasket in with something? I am having the hardest time keeping it in place while I put the rim on the headlight.

2. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

The cork type will compress and make the seal, but the thicker rubber tries to "worm" itself out. Sometimes it's a pain, make sure the rubber doesn't have any release agent on it by wiping it with solvent and give that a try.

3. alchemy

alchemy

I didn't know there was a rubber gasket that fit between the glass and rim. I took some pickup lights apart last summer and they never had it in them. Maybe the all stainless car lights are different?

4. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

Originally,there is no seal between the lens and the outer rim(bezel. There is only the cork gasket that fits in the groove of the reflector that makes the seal to the back of the lens.If the cork does not fit tight ,use a small dap of adhesive in a few spots to hold it in.

5. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

The '33 head lights are about an inch longer than '34s... '33 had one hood handle, plenty of room...
    '34 needed more room up front as they had two hood handles...

6. 335wcoupe

335wcoupe

There's my problem then. I just went and looked up the rubber gasket on Macs and it says it goes between the lens and the bucket, I thought I had read it went between the lens and rim. I was mistaken.

It must be a rubberized version of the cork gasket which I also have. When I put the headlight together without the rubber between the lens and rim, the lens seemed to move around too much so I thought it was because I was missing the rubber between the lens and rim. I'll try again without the rubber and see if I can get a snug fit of all the parts.

Thanks guys!

7. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

The clips hold the lens in place.If the spring clips have good tension it should be fine.The lens has a lip and that keeps it in the bezel pretty good..The square rubber gaskets were introduced a few yrs back and worked well.I actually prefer them to the cork ones.

8. 335wcoupe

335wcoupe

I think I am missing the retainer clips. Do you have any pictures of the clips in place?

9. The clips look like this:
    64-21036.jpg

10. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

Attached Files:

11. 335wcoupe

335wcoupe

Thanks Deuce Lover! I'll order some.

12. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

You're welcome !