Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods My Personal Glass Car Debate

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CAHotRodBoy, Feb 24, 2020.

1. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

Very well said! One thing I realized reading all the posts here is that I haven't been to a car show now in 3 years. Even when I was still going to them I would just park my car where ever, get out and start looking at other cars. Very rarely did I just sit by my car and give a shit about what anyone had to say about it. This car will be treated the same if I ever do take it to a show. And like you said, in small town America no one will care, they just see a cool old car.
    When I used to go to a lot of shows I'd breeze past most of the cars there and only pay attention to a few cars there (mostly ones that fit the parameters of this site). All the muscle cars and street rods didn't interest me much. But, every time I'd see one of those "no interest" cars rolling down the highway or in a parking lot some where I'd find myself speeding up to catch it or drive over to check it out and think, "nice car!".
    I think a lot of times we tend to strive for perfection and to get our cars exactly the way we picture it in our minds. This can lead to "paralysis by analysis" where you are never happy and the project goes on forever and costs escalate. Sometimes you have to say "F it" and just get it done. Like Fry-Burger says, "Don't get it perfect, just get it running".

Oh, and I love Jeff's 55 Chevy site. Too bad he can't post here anymore because of his big wheels and rubber band tires (which I hate!:confused::D) but the rest of the car is pretty cool.

2. Smokeybear

Smokeybear

I quit giving a shit about what other people think about MY car a long time ago. They don't have any right to say anything until they pony up the money for parts. Drive the car YOU want.

3. 392

Yes sir ^

Kan Kustom and Splitbudaba like this.
  4. Gman0046

Gman0046

I'd take that black 63 Galaxie just the way it is. Super nice car.

31hotrodguy likes this.
  5. RmK57

RmK57

I agree. Actually prefer the sedan to the hardtop.

6. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

Let's see.. what will impress people I have never met the most???
    You are going to get assholes with any car, and nice folks with the same.. what would make the trip more fun from a driving perspective?
    Honestly the more I interact with car people the more I like my dog.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
  7. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

What was it? Roughly 75k 5w coupes in 34 and maybe less than half that many 3 Windows produced by Henry that year. That to sell to a population that was 126 million instead of 330 million. Couple that with the popularity of the body style to round track racers in the 50s and 60s and the fact that you could buy a good used one for 50 bucks. How many survived the 86 year span from then to now? My guess is maybe 35-40% and that may be a little generous. Counting mine, I only know of 3 more steel 5ws in a 50 mile radius of my area. They just aren't for sale on every street corner car lot in America. I don't know if the OP will be happy with his after the changes or not. The monetary sacrifice to buy steel is one that cannot be taken lightly. I can say that a hot rod is a hot rod. And to quote Forrest, "that's all I got to say about that"

8. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What Waylon Jennings would have said, "My shivagitter is broke!"

31hotrodguy likes this.
  9. Most people don't know the difference. I overheard a father tell his son as they were looking at my car, "the only original part on this car is the body!" Actually, the only original part is the frame... 20190809_130240.jpg

Kan Kustom and Splitbudaba like this.
  10. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

It's your car...take pride and ride!

11. justpassinthru

justpassinthru

I used to get a real good chuckle, when I went to cruise nights with a real good friend of mine. He had a really nice 34 Downs bodied fiberglass, full fendered roadster. Every now and then he seemed to get the guy coming by the car, and saying "steel or plastic" with a big shot attitude. His reply was "no its F**kin Wood! Those people wouldn't even look at the car, like its not worthy! They probably left the cruise night in their Prius!

[email protected]

12. goldmountain

goldmountain

I'm one of those steel body eliteist snobs because I'm too poor to afford a fiberglass body. However, I tend to brag about my homemade fiberglass trunk lid.

Kan Kustom and continentaljohn like this.
  13. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Hotrodding is not about steel or fiberglass its about Fun with friends,family and getting together. I myself have Steel issues and it being 100% 1932 vintage real parts.. So what if its repo or real a 32 33 40 or a buggy or Jeep. I have a number of friends that are working on there car for years. That doesn’t stop them or us for having fun. I dont let it bother me and it more the hunt then anything else about the real steel thing. Drive and enjoy what you have and build another steel or glass . Do please have fun doing both and dont care what other think as misery loves company..

14. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Hmmm
    This was built many years ago by Larry Anderson, not too far from me.

upload_2015-12-7_9-19-39.png

15. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

I’d drive that until I had splinters

16. I can't stand judgemental idiots, especially the ones that don't own a car but like to walk around knocking on people's cars proclaiming what material they are made out of. Don't get me wrong, I like a certain style of cars but I'm not going to try and put something or someone down for not driving what I like, why would I, why would anyone, just move past and look at the next one.
    When you're behind the wheel cruising along do people really think about what material the car is made out of, if they do then they are missing the whole point. Maybe people do exist doing that, but guess what, they aren't the kind of people I associate with, so I couldn't tell you if they do.
    Take the car you have, chase your dreams, go enjoy yourself, make some memories for you and the people you come across, you'll be out there doing it while others will be sitting at home missing out on life's adventures, still bitching about what you should be driving.

17. guy1unico

guy1unico

Call Andy Brizio and ask what he thinks and RJ has featured plenty of fiberglass.

18. BoogittyShoe

BoogittyShoe

I think one definition of a hot rod is "A vehicle that has been modified for better appearance and/or performance." *
    If a guy puts a flame sticker on his car, to him it's a hot rod, and to me he's a hotrodder.
    * Some shun rat rods because of the "appearance" part of the definition. (but the definition says "and/or") Some see them as the definition of hot rod.

19. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

The real question is not if it is steel or fiberglass but is it real or silicone in you avatar.

swade41 likes this.
  20. Cool is cool, regardless of what material it's made of.

21. BoogittyShoe

BoogittyShoe

Where were you 3 pages ago? That would have ended the debate.

31hotrodguy and Kan Kustom like this.
  22. vor

vor

You could end up like us!! 80s-kit-cars.jpg

23. Roothawg

Roothawg

My dad always said if they don’t like your car, they don’t have to ride with you.

24. BoogittyShoe

BoogittyShoe

Some people just thrive on controversy.
    (From Latin "contro"; " against"+ "vertere" ; "to turn".)

Now there's a chrome vs. painted bumper thing. If a guy wants to paint his bumper, what business is it of mine? Or anyone else?

swade41 and Kan Kustom like this.
  25. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

When I was a teen and still driving my 55 AD Chevy, I had a guy in a really nice 34 Ford pull up at a gas station and while he and I were pumping gas, he started to pick apart my truck. Now I drove it every day, had a teenage budget, and it was no show car, so I got that it wasn't super nice. It hurt my feelings a bit, but just let it slide off and went on about my business.

An hour or so later as I was driving to my grandparents house in Marshfield, MO I came up on him on the side of the interstate. His car would run but not move. I had a tow strap, and pulled his car to the Marshfield exit ramp and on to the gas station. He thanked me for the help, and suggested that maybe my old truck might be a bit more awesome than he thought.

I have never forgot that day, and always try to respect fellow car enthusiasts regardless of their abilities or hobby choices. I am human and sometimes step on my own lip anyway, but I try to be respectful. If we cut each other down, we only hurt the hobby as a whole.

26. What can I say, I'm old and slow !

27. I have owned and run both materials. Running down the road is fun, period! We ran our glass bodied roadster all over the place when we first had it, also had a Buick 225V6, auto, cruise and heater. Bags of fun. Sometimes got asked if it was steel or not, but got all sorts of conversations going. Gave an old guy a ride in it somwhere in the middle of Montana. We had stopped for lunch. He wished he could drive his Model A like we were doing. Gave him a pep talk on simple upgrades he could do.
    It's all about the drive. Long distance 1990 r.jpg

28. modelapat31

modelapat31

29. modelapat31

modelapat31

if it was me I would do the xl500 for the trip, you can always finish the debate when you get back. later

31hotrodguy likes this.
  30. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Someone will make them but it will be an expensive diet !