Register now to get rid of these ads!

how did they trick out the NASCAR Y-blocks back in the day?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by slepe67, Mar 2, 2009.

1. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

loudbang and williebill like this.
  2. yep

3. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

So I was kinda curious about the OP’s original question so I did some research. I typed in “how to make a stock Ford 312 beat a stock Chevy 283”
    Response.....”can’t be done.”
    Not happy with my obvious Chevy bias response from the search engine I retyped the same question and this picture came up:
    IMG_7945.JPG
    Apparently cubic inches wasn’t enough. It looks like you need a super charger on ford Y block to make it run with the 283. IMG_7947.JPG
    Okay, I couldn’t help myself. I know, I’m smart ass and having way to much fun here. Carry on gentleman! Ha ha ha

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Baumi, Old wolf and belair like this.
  4. A engine doesn't know what name is on the valve cover. However its performance is a result of its design. An engine is a air pump. the more efficient that air pump is the more HP you make. Other factors like internal friction weight of the moving parts and stroke limit the peak RPM where the most HP and Torque Happens. A boss 302 ford is a great example most 283,s and very few 327 chevys outperform a Boss 302 ford. All else being close to equal the engine that can turn the most RPM will be the winner. A Y block is not a High RPM engine.

31hotrodguy likes this.
  5. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

About 2-3 months into the 1957 NASCAR season the “boss” banned all the intakes other than Stock iron single 4 barrels which remains today other than being approved cast aftermarket. This outlawed the GM multiple carb and fuel injection, Ford multiple carb and superchargers, and Mopar multiple carb.
    The reason was they were too fast for the tracks and tires available at the time.
    In 1985 bodies were still stock; the Ford T-bird were vastly improved from 1984. GM and Chrysler had no answer so awesome Bill pickup up a cool million and GM added a back window.
    Y-blocks had a good run in their time and did as good as they could against the big hemis.

loudbang, Boneyard51 and 31hotrodguy like this.
  6. carbking

carbking

Checking the NASCAR Grand National Division records for 1956:

Ford won 14 races, and Mercury added 5 more wins
    Chrysler won the most with 16 wins, plus Dodge added 11 more

These makes accounted for 46 wins of the 55 races.

Jon.

7. 6-bangertim

6-bangertim
    from California

jimmy six, it was APRIL, '57 that Big Bill mandated 1 4-bbl. By then, Smokey had parked his '57 Fulie car, took Peter DePalo's offer of a lot of $$$ to run Ford's NASCAR team. I would think Smokey had some stories to tell in his autobiography about gittin dem Furds to run. After his last Ford was totaled, had the car crushed into a 4' cube!

loudbang and jimmy six like this.
  8. Just how long did the overhauled 312 last? Possibly if you has of swapped in a FE you might still be driving the 56 PK. LOL!

Boneyard51 likes this.
  9. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I can’t remember how long we drove that old pickup, I drove it after I was married to my first wife, so I know I drove it around 1973-4. About that time I bought a new truck and so did my Dad, so then the old 56 just kinda got put on the back burner. Somewhere around 1980 or so we backed it into the barn and there she sets, now. So I guess the 312 lasted....let’s see....ah 55 years! Lol!

I can tell you that truck would run!

Bones

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
    Old wolf and loudbang like this.
  10. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

When did Smokey run with Ford? I know he moved around a bit but from what I’ve seen he ran Pontiac in 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, then I think Chevy in 63.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  11. 6-bangertim

6-bangertim
    from California

31, I don't know the exact month, but it had to be after the Daytona Beach race, as Paul Goldsmith (I think) had Smokey's Fulie car 3-1/2 laps ahead before it burned a piston. I've been told friction developed between Smokey and Vince Piggens, who managed the SEDCO team - since Smoke wanted to run his own car, besides help SEDCO.

31hotrodguy and Boneyard51 like this.
  12. Boodlum

Boodlum

NASCAR Thunderbirds in 1959-1960 ran optional 430 ci MEL engines.

Boneyard51 and loudbang like this.
  13. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Thanks! Good stuff. I was always impressed while growing up with hearing about Smokey Yunick. His ability to work with different engines combinations and cars during his racing years definitely demonstrates his skill.

6-bangertim likes this.
  14. 3thirty6point7

3thirty6point7

I have one of those!