Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 322 Buick Nailhead with 3 speed manual OD

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Crew Chief, Feb 25, 2020.

1. Crew Chief

Crew Chief

Okay 322 gurus out there. What is the draw back about buying a 322 nailhead with the 3 speed overdrive? I have a chance to buy the engine/transmission combo at a reasonable price. I don't know a thing about 322 Buicks. I am more familiar with the SBC. I searched the HAMB and found a lot about mods and adapting transmissions. Can this engine and transmission be saved and overhauled to go in a 34 Ford pickup hot rod? I have a nice Muncie 4 speed. Will it bolt up direct to the bellhousing without modification?

The owner said the engine came out of a truck. Not specific about the truck. I do know from the casting numbers that it is a 56-59 block.

Let me know what I am getting into. If it is too much trouble to adapt, I will buy it and put it on display in my shop.

Attached Files:

DenverFlash likes this.
  2. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

The one thing I can tell you is that it already has an old Transdapt adapter on it. If you find a number on it, I can tell you what other transmissions will bolt up to it. Cant tell if that as a 1949 to 54 trans or 1955 to 57 trans...if it's the latter, a Muncie 4 speed will bolt in its place..

bchctybob and Crew Chief like this.
  3. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Looked at some pics online and the trans you have there looks like a 1955 to 57 Chevy 3 speed overdrive...so a Muncie will bolt to that adapter. I'm sure that existing trans has value too..any overdrive is cool.

bchctybob, Crew Chief and LAROKE like this.
  4. The adapter and clutch is a great score. You're 75% done before you start.

5. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

Hey, it's a nailhead Buick and with that trans and adapter I can not see any way you could go wrong:):cool: The stuff dreams are made of!!

Crew Chief likes this.
  6. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

I love Muncies....but I'd be really tempted to run that combo as is. Muncie top gear is 1:1...overdrive is probably .7:1. I dont know what rear you have or planning to use...but a 4.11 gear becomes 2.88 in overdrive..

stillrunners likes this.
  7. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You need to clean it up and see if you can identify the overdrive unit. Most of those (and that looks about right) were Borg Warner's. If it's an R-10, not so good, but the R-11 is the heavy duty one, and will stand up fine. Great combination if properly installed and wired.

Lots of info here on them, mostly behind Fords, use the search function.

8. jaracer

jaracer

The only drawbacks to the nailheads is that they are long and internal parts aren't cheap. With that said, I'm putting together a Model A with a 401 nailhead and it was my first engine choice. It took a while to find the engine, but I bought a 65 Electra that was a bit rough. I think you have a real find. That trans does look like a mid 50's Chevy unit. I had one behind a 348 in a 58 Impala. It isn't a real strong unit. I used to break the collar off second gear, but I was 17.

9. Buick’s have the starter on the left side, and it isn’t easy using a traditional steering box, but it can be done. I had to set the firewall back 4.5” to get the nailhead into my 34 cpe.

10. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

didn't offenhauser make an adapter to put the starter on the other side?

11. David Coleman

David Coleman

Seems to me the Offy starter swap sideables was for Oldsmobiles V-8's

figure8, belair and ted kovacs like this.
  12. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

It's a Muncie 319 trans (would be a Muncie 318 without the overdrive). Most likely it's a 55-57 trans with an R-10, B-W overdrive, but it could be later IF the trans has a rear mount for a cross-member. Not a strong trans if you beat on them, fine if you take it easy. Finding a floor shift for that trans will be difficult, although I do have some mounts and shifters for that trans; if it has a rear mount, I have those mounts also. A Muncie 4 speed will bolt right up, unless the Muncie 4 speed is an M-21 with the fine input shaft; then a different clutch disc is needed. Your trans has column shift style levers on it. That's all I've got. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Old wolf likes this.
  13. Back in 1962, I had a 322, against a Buick 3 spd tranny in a 47 Chev coupe, and it was one of my favourite engines. Lots of torque and good performance. At the right price, I would buy a combination like that in a heartbeat.
    I like the fact that it includes the Chevy tranny adapter. The biggest problem with swapping these engines into a narrow chassis, is that the starter is on the left, but it is worth the work to do the swap.
    Bob

Cosmo49 and Crew Chief like this.
  14. I'm not 100% sure that is a Chevy transmission. The shifter arm bosses are longer than the Chevy. Which would account for the left side starter.

j-jock likes this.
  15. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Nice score!!

Crew Chief likes this.
  16. Mhamm

Mhamm
    from Emmaus, PA

following for future info. i am planning on running a 322 in a 33/34 coupe eventually

Crew Chief likes this.
  17. belair

belair

Even with a Chevy trans, all the little pieces to make the OD work will be your biggest challenge. It's all out there, but you need every little piece to make it work 322 is a very good engine. The trans adapter makes the deal as far as I'm concerned. Buick sticks are difficult to find and shifters even more so. Good luck.

Crew Chief likes this.
  18. Crew Chief

Crew Chief

The seller said the engine came out of a truck. Not sure if he mean't pickup truck with column shift or a large truck like a 1 ton. Will find out when I pick it up.

19. Not that I’ve ever seen, I managed to squeak a modified F1 box in, but it’s tight.

20. The Buick 322 was optional in GMC trucks in the late 50’s, called Torque Master.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    belair likes this.
  21. Crew Chief

Crew Chief

Traditional starter aside, I wonder if putting a smaller high torque starter on it would make it easier to put a steering shaft to a Vega style steering box.

belair likes this.
  22. Jeff34

Jeff34

The space on the driver side of a 34 PU is really tight. You’ll likely need to do something to there. If the engine is “long” per another poster, the firewall will need to be modified as well.
    Great engine though! Nice find.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

Crew Chief likes this.
  23. It might help, but a Vega box must be mounted to a boxing plate, or bracket that holds it to the inside of the frame rail, in such a way as to let the sector shaft clear the lower frame rail flange. An F1 or 100 box can have the mount machined off it and moved inward to gain clearance. I’ll measure my 36 with Vega box and 34 with modified F1 and post the measurements.

Crew Chief likes this.
  24. Just measured Vega and F1. The Vega protrudes into the engine compartment 1” further than F1 does. Given that I have 1/2” clearance between the starter and steering box and 1/4” clearance between the clutch pivot boss on the bell housing and the steering column, and My engine is already over to the right 3/4”, I’d say that a Vega steering box, mounted to a boxing plate in a 33/4 frame with a Nailhead and std, trans. is too tight a fit. With an automatic trans and mini starter it might make it but ?

25. Mechman_22

Mechman_22
    from Nc

I have a mini on my 364 nail head going into my 30 tudor. I can try to get pics or measurements if needed

Crew Chief likes this.
  26. bchctybob

bchctybob

That’s a perfect engine and trans for a period hot rod. Getting all that stuff assembled and sorted out is a huge score. I ran that overdrive trans in my Model A sedan and it was great. Like Butch said, it’s no high performance racing trans but they are fine for regular use. The 322 is a good solid torquey engine well worth spending the money and effort on.
    I’m putting a nailhead in my ‘33 pickup right now, I removed the firewall and moved it back 2”, looks stock and the Buick just fits. The starter is in an inconvenient place but that’s hot rodding. Many folks have overcome that obstacle over the years. Lots of steering box options these days.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Cosmo49 and Crew Chief like this.
  27. jaracer

jaracer

The small starter helps but not much. I used a Steer Clear unit on my Model A.

Crew Chief likes this.
  28. [​IMG]
    This OD wiring diagram was posted to the HAMB. I apologize that I can't provide proper attribution.
    There are a few threads regarding the Borg Warner OD on the HAMB. I have one, and ran one in a previous life. They are an excellent transmission for a light vehicle, as long as you are not abusing it.
    As a kid, my friends and I, beat the hell of those transmissions behind the small blocks of the day, and I never destroyed one.
    If you have any other questions, I have the 55 GM truck shop service manual, that includes information on the OD.
    Just PM me, if you need any specific info.
    Bob

Crew Chief likes this.
  29. bchctybob

bchctybob

Speedway sells a book on those overdrives, it’s pretty good. Also Motors Auto Repair Manuals from around 1955 up also cover them pretty well. I have a 1957 Ford repair manual with good info too. They are pretty simple to hook up and make them work. I did mine just like the factory and it worked just fine.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

j-jock likes this.
  30. Mechman_22

Mechman_22
    from Nc

You have pic?