Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Opinions on 1947-1954 Chevrolet and GMC Pickups

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Model A Fan, Feb 25, 2020.

?
  1. Buy GMC 5-Window Longbed now

11 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Wait for Chevy 5-Window Short Bed

11 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Model A Fan

Model A Fan

I'm looking for one of these Advance Design trucks. I have a line on a GMC 5-window, but it doesn't have a bed. It runs and has open drive rear end, but it is a long bed frame with an old flat bed on it. I have always liked the farm truck look and that is what this one is. If it had the box on the back, I think I'd be all over it, but given how much less common the GMC pickup is than the Chevy, I'm leery of trying to source parts.

I am also more partial to the front end of the Chevys than the GMC, but I still like the GMCs. The motor in it runs, but it is the stock 228 (converted to 12 volt), and I'd be leaning toward replacing the engine with a 235 anyways given their easy interchangeability and relative low cost to pick up (since lots of people seems to drop a 350 into theirs).

What kind of hassle would I be looking at when it comes to sourcing or finding GMC stuff? How readily do the parts interchange (fenders up front are different as are tailgates). I'm looking for one that will be a cruiser, but not really long distance driver. The one I'm looking at is pretty close to rust-out free, so it would be a good base. If I wanted the short box look, could I just cut off some of the frame to accommodate that or is it a completely different frame all together? I've heard the T5 behind a 235 is a great combo, so I'd probably completely swap that out of this truck.

I'm looking for opinions mostly, good, bad, and just personal preference is OK. Looking for what other people think and their experiences with both types and modifying them.

Some examples of what I've been looking for. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. samurai mike

samurai mike

I don't think it's hard to get parts for gmc or Chevrolet.

SS327 and Hnstray like this.
  3. tractorguy

tractorguy

Big question.......is the long bed GMC a 3/4 ton or a 1/2 ton ? 1/2 ton stuff seems much easier to do updates and mods to than 3/4 chassis based stuff. I would certainly not try shortening the frame on the long bed. Big factor is how much $$ the GMC will cost you. If you can get it for easy $$.......maybe fix it a little and flip it to get a Chev 1/2 ton shortbox with the 235 you want. Either truck sounds like fun if you keep it simple. Have fun

4. Model A Fan

Model A Fan

The GMC is a 1/2 ton. I'd prefer the short bed, I know I can swap frames, but that usually leads to another thing...sort of like "If you give a mouse a cookie"...

5. PackardV8

PackardV8

Before jumping in with your cash, have you ever driven one? If not, find a couple of examples and offer beer, cash, or to read the gospel with the owner. Drive his around town, on the highway, in traffic and in the curves.

Reason for the suggestion is over the years I've known too many guys who liked the look of the old trucks but hadn't ever lived with one. They wanted a new truck ride/drive with the classic look. Doesn't happen.

jack vines, who's driven old trucks for sixty years

6. Very Easy for any competent fabricator to section that frame down to fit the shortbox.

Bed sides, bulkheads, fenders, wood, braces, running boards, RB braces are all available for the Chevy and I’m sure GMC can’t be too different there.

rockable and bill gruendeman like this.
  7. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Know that there are lots of those trucks and tons of parts still around. They made a bazillion of them. I can’t imagine going through the trouble of modifying a frame for bed length alone.
    That said, get one. They’re super fun (also super slow). Check out www.stovebolt.com. Tons of info, projects and photos.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

tractorguy likes this.
  8. Model A Fan

Model A Fan

Welp, the seller accepted my offer on the GMC, so I guess that's the route I will be going! :eek::D

I'm not a competent fabricator, but I can take my time and ask questions, so I feel this isn't too far from being a good work-in-progress project.

9. Bed sides same from GMC to Chev tail gates differ tho... I dont believe there any repo long beds for EVERY ONE wants a short bed, But not to hard to cut down frame to length, Now the GMC had GMC only stuff on the hubs and such bearings and other things so that stuff wont just swap out keeping ORIGINAL can be a little tough, Unless you going to do a modern style suspension upgrade to get a decent ride and ENJOY the truck.

10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Dare to be different and go with the GMC, if this is something that you plan to keep for a long time - years back I bought a modified '50 project at a swap meet with the GMC frontend - seller said that he had a Chevy frontend that he would swap out to Chevy at no extra charge - went for the Chevy - never looked back - had traded a modified car 50's car for a updated popular 60's truck - but, truck was a long bed and when I went to sell it had to practically give it away because not a 1/2 ton

11. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I’d suggest you stay away from rebuilding the front steering and suspension.
    These trucks were built for one lane roads and farmers fields. There’s no rebuilding them and driving them 65-70 mph.
    Consider other alternatives.

12. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

Parts availability is pretty good for both, either would be a great platform to build off of. Personally, I prefer the Chevrolet grille over the GMC...

13. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I am in the GMC camp. Have a '55 1st design 3 window 1/2 ton. GMC's were the premium of the GM truck line in that era......basically same sheet metal.....better mechanical bits in most cases.

Ray

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    SS327 likes this.
  14. I’m kind of partial to the Chevrolet, I’ve had mine since I was 12. “Restored” it when I was 15 and driving it ever since. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. My 52 GMC, not original. The 228 can be swapped direct for any larger GMC 6 engine. Such as a 248, 256, 270 (pretty common), or 302. The AD trucks have lot of similarities with Chevrolet and GMC. Some unique parts can be little tougher to find.
    Mine has Jaguar IFS and IRS, 350/700R4. Runs and drives great. As long as you are a bit creative there are many ways to build these trucks. Congratulations on your new project. FB_IMG_1565977494847.jpeg

Sent from dumb operator on a smart phone

treb11, Black_Sheep and Hnstray like this.
  16. I prefer the GMC
    The chassis can be shortened but I picked up a SWB chassis cheap. The S10 swap guys sell them.
    The 235 is shorter than the 228. The front crossmember on a GMC is different than the Chevy.
    The 228 is full pressure while early 235s are not. My GMC had a 235 with a homemade adaptor to fit the shorter engine. The radiator on the GMC is further forward than the Chevy and fits better in my opinion.
    I like the straight axle. Drove mine everyday for years. Never an issue. Drove like an old truck should. I plan on adding a dropped axle.
    I don’t like the stock drums.

R A Wrench likes this.
  17. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Ya'll remember when Old Navy Stores used them as displays?: Painted them blue, no engine/trans. Some were placed up for sale/auction when that promotion was over. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  18. Gofannon

Gofannon

I'd have that GMC in a heartbeat. Swapping the 228 for a 235 would be a backward step. Find a 270 or 302 and swap out the rear for taller gears and you're good to go. If you are going to haul stuff, the long bed is way more practical. Hell, I'd even leave the flat bed on it, or build a new one. It's a good chance to show your creativity. I drove the '55 1st series Chevy in my avatar for 16 years as a daily driver and they are great trucks.

19. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Don't know about the GMC long bed half tons but the chevy long beds (3/4 Ton) have little kickup over the rear axle, limits how much you can lower them. They also are narrow in the back, the 1/2 tons flair out behind the cab. Just an fyi for those looking to shorten the frame,
    The front frame is virtually the same, just a little heavier frame metal. The front springs are the same
    on 1/2 tons and 3/4 tons, the axles and spindles are different. I think the 3/4 ton bed length looks fine,
    but that is a personal opinion

20. BaBa

BaBa

Have fun, they are a sickness. Mine was stock when I got it 35 years ago. It aint stock no more!

21. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

I would agree, I did my i h truck, measure once cut twice or sometime like that.

22. Those GMC engines are much better than the chevy 235. If the 228 is good don't swap it out for a not as good engine.

anthony myrick and 5window like this.
  23. flashpointmedia

flashpointmedia
    from USA

Hello--
    I know that you posted this a few years ago, but I thought I would reach out to see if you were still looking for a truck. If so, I have something of that you may like. Thanks. Mike.
    20231029_095053.jpg

Attached Files:

24. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you read through the posts he did buy the one he was looking at. Nice job of widening the fenders.
    You do realize that google burned you butt in your search because if you look at the post above yours it is dated Feb 27, 2020. Answering a three and a half year old post to shout "hey I got one for sale" is a bit lame.

25. flashpointmedia

flashpointmedia
    from USA

I’m an old guy and don’t really know too much about how Google works and just because he bought one already doesn’t mean he might not want another one. I’m pretty sure mine is different than what he bought. Thanks for the compliment on the fender.

firstinsteele and SS327 like this.
  26. I’d drive that gmc

27. SS327

SS327

Flash, that is a good looking truck you got there!

firstinsteele likes this.
  28. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

29. flashpointmedia

flashpointmedia
    from USA

Thanks. It's been fun. This is how I found her...

Attached Files:

SS327 likes this.
  30. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

My opinion is that most of the time trying to repair an original bed is more work than its worth and even used "but good" stuff usually isn't. Getting it more cheaply because its an undesirable long bed with a flatbed on it is probably a good thing. Then buy new bed replacement panels and simply bolt them together. We did just that on my son's 56 Chevy truck and it worked great. Also found a bed with a good floor and cut it to fit the bolted together bed. Welded it in place. Going to do the same thing on my 49 and already have the parts to do it.
    The rear wheels don't set in the best position as far as being centered in the rear fenders. You usually need to relocate them which means relocating the rear end. I'd find an 8.8 Ford .........hopefully one that doesn't need narrowing and has posi........even if you run a 6 cyl. Lot better ratios available as well as parts availability.
    Then comes the frame. They are super simple frames and very easy to shorten. Put the bed on the frame and move it a little closer to the cab than stock. and position the rearend for best centering. Lift the bed off and put some coil overs or decent suspension in place. Most roads don't need that old heavy ill riding stock suspension.
    When you get around to repairing the door bottoms and possibly the cabs floor, you will appreciate the fact that you don't have to do more bodywork on the bed.............;)