Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Simca Vedette tow bar help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sandgroper, Feb 25, 2020.

1. Sandgroper

Sandgroper

IMG_0001.JPG A call for help from our French members please. I am planning on making a tow bar, tow hitch, trailer hitch, for my vedette. I am chasing photos of ones already installed particularly the mounting points used.
    Have searched the web, can only find photos of Vedettes with them from the outside. Also need the Vedette script on the rear bumper. Mine was reversed into and is beyond help.
    Regards Paul

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

3. Sandgroper

Sandgroper

Ford Vedette could be the same, mines the 59, subframe not chassis.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. Patrice

Patrice
    from France

Hello, Nice car!
    In France, Ford sold to Simca in 1954 and the name is Chambord or Beaulieu.
    Found this below after a quick research on the web.
    chambord attelage1.jpg chambord attelage1.jpg chambord attelage3.jpg chambord attelage4.jpg chambord attelage5.jpg
    Hope it help!

Attached Files:

Sandgroper likes this.

5. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

The hitch Pat is showing shows how you need to “ grab” several places to distribute the stress on unibody cars. You will probably have to build something similar to that.

It you look close, those seem to be three different hitches! If three were made that close together, the most likely are a “ manufacturered “ hitch! Should definitely be the way to go!

Bones

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    Sandgroper likes this.
  6. Sandgroper

Sandgroper

Thanks Patrice, that's really helpful. Bones you are right, I suspected that just rear mounts were not going to be enough. Will have to get underneath and see what I can anchor to. I have a plastic fuel tank out of an Aussie GM car and also the diff so things are a bit different under there from stock.
    Need to make something that can be sought of hidden when not used.
    50,s Aussie holders had a fold away tow bar that pop up now and then for sale, maybe something like that. I'm sure I can design and make it, just want it to have the correct strength for towing.
    Patrice if you hear of or come across the Vedette script on the rear bumper could you send me a pm with details/price.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  7. Sandgroper

Sandgroper

Boneyard51 likes this.
  8. Patrice

Patrice
    from France

Woah! I didn't know this about australia models!
    In France too, parts are hard to find too.
    I I find something, I will tell you. If you need help to source other parts, or arrange contacts or shipping, let me know.

Sandgroper likes this.