Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods My Personal Glass Car Debate

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CAHotRodBoy, Feb 24, 2020.

1. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

2. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

Ha! Have you seen the prices of C1 Corvettes? Way more than top built '34 coupes!

Route 66 was my favorite show as a kid. Always wanted to do the Buzz and Todd thing and cruise Route 66 in a Corvette (actor Martin Milner played Todd Styles in the show. I wonder if that's where George Lucas got John Milner's name from?) . I had this '64 and sold it to my best buddy back east a few years ago. He loved the car but unfortunately passed away suddenly before he had it for even a year. The car is still tied up in probate but I would love to have it back.

IMG_2015 (Small).JPG

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
    DenverFlash and kidcampbell71 like this.
  3. lake_harley

lake_harley

Standin' on the corner down in Winslow Arizona
    Really quite a site to see
    It's a old guy Lord with a fiberglass Ford
    Thinking "Why won't no one talk to me"

Just being a bit snarky, but actually, ANY car a bit unusual will strike up conversations. People everywhere will have had one just like it or knew someone who did.

Lynn

4. Gman0046

Gman0046

CAHotRodBoy, to answer what I didn't like about my glass 32 Ford Vicky was the poor quality of the Downs body and the TCI chassis. The fit on the forward upper edge of the drivers door and the roof was atrocious. The TCI chassis brake system was a nightmare. The car had a bad rear end bottoming issue that could have been corrected by TCI if they had "C" notched the frame. The car looked good and was actually a featured car in the Street Rodder magazine. I've also never cared for the fiberglass smell that permeates glass cars while they are out in the sun. If a car is not steel, I don't need it.

5. 35 Dodge Hot Rod

35 Dodge Hot Rod
    from Mecca

You should read the book "Siddhartha" and reflect. I can tell you a truth, but until you discover it in your own time it won't be the truth to you.

The guys that think less of a finished car or project because it is fiberglass are jerks. The vast majority of whom would never be bold enough to actually tell you what they think to your face. It's a juvenile mindset that doesn't help anyone.

I used to think like that when I was younger, but I finally realized what an idiotic belief that was as I witnessed older people make asses of themselves talking about their so called friends behind their backs.

When you're driving down the road, nobody is going to know if the body is made out of carbon fiber, fiberglass, steel, or garbage covered with bondo and shiny paint. As long as you put in your best effort and built a safe well thought out creation then it's a good thing.

6. silent rick

silent rick

why do you want to meet and talk to strangers? just to hear...

"my uncle's neighbor used to have one just like it only it had four doors and the engine was in the back"

or have their kids hang on your doors just to take a look inside?

7. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

My '46 Ford Woodie is steel and my Deuce roadster is a Wescotts glass body. I find that some of the mouth breathers that say "Duh, steel is real", don't even own a car. I've driven both coast to coast and if someone has a problem with the glass car, they can simply go f**k themselves.

8. Gman0046

Gman0046

I'm kind of surprised about three pages extolling the values of fiberglass street rods. When did the HAMB become a street rod site? When did fiberglass replica bodies become Traditional? Just asking.

9. When spending he money the glass car is attractive but when it's time to sell you wish it was steel, look at the sites that sell hot rods, there will be page after page of glass cars, the steel ones are few and far between.

I for one don't have a problem with glass cars, I know there are a lot of people driving hot rods because the glass cars are available and far more affordable.

I have owned a couple of glass cars in the past and if the right car was to show up tomorrow I wouldn't turn it down. HRP

10. Man.....that Galaxie would be a nice driver...way more comfy...put some period correct rims and tires on it..a little rubber rake...a nice exhaust note...and head out in style and comfort....you’ll have a nice trunk to keep your luggage....ya can sleep in the back seat if need be....I think I’d get a set of pie crust and steel wheels to throw on it once in awhile...Hell I know I’d walk up and talk to ya driving something like any of these 6FD22816-7B3C-471F-B572-E4015EAD5E39.jpeg 73308803-1DE9-410D-9A57-3DFD2BA3C864.jpeg 0EF46749-F95F-4C63-86A2-D26E0CD284FF.jpeg

11. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

7EAA8276-63F8-485D-A45C-CB3BF633A9F6.jpeg Talk about a bucket of worms! Got tired of it too! Glass 32’ 5 W my build, has been interesting, to say the least! I decided long ago to follow my head, nobody else’s matters, that and the budget!!

12. Hey 32Dan,
    Cool looking Y block in that hot rod,,,,,looks like a real hot rod to me !

Tommy

32Dan likes this.
  13. .................I feel ya' can-of-worms.jpg

continentaljohn and Splitbudaba like this.
  14. 34Larry

34Larry

Here is my 2 bits worth. My 34 is steel with a 331 Chrysler HEMI, duel 4bbls, most here know that. When I'm out and about only a small percentage of people could give a shit about it or give it a second glance, (truly). I constantly have men of middle age to their 70's sitting and waiting at lights even give it a glance, (and it rumbles. (is loud) pretty loud), and most like I say don't even look over and if they do, the disgusting glance at me speaks volumes. I just chuckle and drive away. They have no idea if its steel or fg and couldn't care less anyway.
    The small percentage of people who to come up to me at a light or when pumping gas, mostly ask, "what year" is that", "what kind of old car is it", "why are the tires in the open', (or something akin to that). Never do those inquisitive minds ask is this a steel car or fg car?
    Point: Most just could give a shit less. They like a hot rod shiny nice wheels, a shiny engine, pretty interior.
    point 1.1 If some asshole who believes he is a car guy and puts down a FG car he needs a lesson in how to be a better person.
    Having said that, I prefer steel cars, but know very well the issues of finding then buying one. But then I'm a car guy think and am accepting of FG 34's. Hell most the time I have to get up close to even make a decision. s or fg. I say drive what you have, have a good fun time and worry more over important issues.:D

15. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

Those aren't the people I want to talk to. I want to find the old John Milner's, the guys that may not even have a hot rod any more but did when they were young. Some may have a newer built hot rod, some may still have their old hot rod sitting in the garage or rusting away in the back 40. I want to hear their stories of racin' and raisin' hell, building cars and chasing women. The stories that start out, "Man, this one time....". I'm sure there will be a lot of BS being slung but sometimes that can be more entertaining than the truth. Remember, the older we get, the faster we were!

Kan Kustom and WB69 like this.
  16. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

when you are broke like me you don't have these troubles since they don't make anything I can afford in fiberglass.

I like fixing old junk, be it cars bicycles or furniture or whatever else. I wouldn't build a glass car, but I could see buying on that was done if it was built the way I like. people who don't like it don't get a ride.

17. adam401

adam401

gloss (Small).jpg Is this the car you own but just photo shopped? Yeah just drive the fuckin thing already. After your trip if you feel the need sell it and build a steel one. They arent nearly as expensive as they were.

That car looks fun dont over think it

18. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Good luck in your quest for hotrodders , there just isn't too many anymore.,.there's the " investment" segment (car dealers) , the checkbook bunch (inflated egos) , drag racers(serious power people) and the lawn chair brigade ( lower dollar checkbook) , all are busy looking down their collective noses trying to somehow feel superior .......

19. southcross2631

southcross2631

Fiberglass cars are cool . Now if I could only find a Glass 65 Comet station wagon body. I wonder if I get past tech at the southeast gasser races with it.
    You are lucky they make glass cars. Imagine how many rodders would not have cars without the glass bodies.

20. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

Yes. Right now it still has fenders on it as seen in the top photo. I have solid hood sides for it and bought some door handles from a member here that should arrive today. Still need to get a trunk handle and new tail lights of some sort. Once the fenders are off I'll need larger rear tires (actually fronts too as they are old) and then decide on wheels. I'm going to try painting the CenterLines black and see how they look. If it looks too goofy then I'll but some steelies or TorqueThrust or slotted aluminum's. I removed the stock style bench seat and got some more comfortable buckets. It has a 40 Ford style steering wheel which I'm not crazy about so will change that and the super tall shifter. The car came with a short Lokar shifter too so I'll put that back in for now.
    I think that's about all she needs to be road worthy. Of course I'll change all fluids and check belts and hoses. Luve suspension and check brakes. The car has heat and a/c which will be nice. Oh, I might add a second fuel tank too as the current tank only holds 12 gallons. We have some pretty long stretches between gas stations out west and I don't want to get stranded somewhere in the middle of nowhere (see US Highway 50 in NV, "America's Loneliest Highway"). The car is showing only 20K miles on the odometer so I'm assuming that's all since it was built (it has VDO gauges). I have to rewire the car as it was done by an aircraft guy and used all white tiny gauge wire, no color coded.

21. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

Pulled a running board and front fender this afternoon so getting started!

IMG_7740 (Small).JPG IMG_7741 (Small).JPG IMG_7742 (Small).JPG

31hotrodguy likes this.
  22. Probably about the same time Chinese patch panels started showing up for the 'gotta be steel' crowd. A traditional steel car patched with Chinese steel patch panels is an automotive oxymoron.

23. Yeah, or 140 between Winnemucca and Lakeview, Oregon. I always carry an extra 5 gallon can of gas on that one.

31hotrodguy likes this.
  24. I've got a few question for the OP. If you knew that driving and owning a fiberglass car was something that was going to bother you, why did you buy it in the first place? If you prefer steel, why not buy steel? And now for the big question.... Why are you spending money and wasting time on something you clearly don't want?

25. Looking good! Keep making changes that YOU like.

To me Hotrods are like boobies. If it feels real then why sweat the details. Leave the argument to somebody who doesn't have their hand on either.

Original cars are awesome. I like my glass coupe just fine. No one who has ever seen it asks if it's a glass car. I always tell them proudly!

Here's my hot little fake blonde.

Nick
    IMG_20191016_194910.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. BoogittyShoe

BoogittyShoe

Don't take this as an argument with you (and especially not "argument" as in "quarrel"). Just think of it as my perspective of a "mindset".
    I get the whole thing about "real hotrods". I knew a guy that had a collection of real, old, original hotrods. I'm talking about the ones you only see (original photos of) in black and white.
    I've had ratchets break, so I get the
    "quality of steel" thing. But for a patch panel? Surely things aren't headed for a time when a real, American car isn't real if it isn't 100% American steel anymore.
    Surely they won't have to restrike the coined phrase "Steel is real" and make it
    "American steel is real."

27. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    As most people on here really do not care whether it is glass or metal. Sure, the purists want only metal. If they have one, then that is the way to go for their hot rod. But, for most of the others, you drive what you have built, modified from someone else’s build, or built from scratch. If it is metal, great, if it has fiberglass fenders, still great. At least you are able to get out on the road and enjoy the drive.

When you meet people on the road, the stop overs and town visits, unless they knock on the fenders, body or trunk, why do they need to know what is what? No one is going to come out directly and say it looks like fiberglass. If they do, they are idiots. Who cares? It is your build and you are the one enjoying the build and definitely the ride.
    upload_2020-2-26_4-5-4.png This no reserve sedan on the internet is rather cool looking. If it had fiberglass fenders, it would not detract from the overall look and handling. It is the idea of having an old car that has the ability to go places in comfort and safety. When you arrive at your destinations, people will come over and look at your “Old” hot rod. No one says, color…bad, wire wheels…bad, top, not painted…bad, no 32 grille…bad. If they do, they are showing their stupidity or pure envy. Fiberglass or steel fenders would not make a difference in the overall look and style of the Ford sedan. It is the idea of you actually being on a long road trip across the USA in an “old” hot rod.
    upload_2020-2-26_4-5-54.png
    Even if you drove this 1956 Chevy station wagon that is also for sale, the comments would come flying at every stop on your itinerary. Check out one of the best, old hot rod, road trip commentary and photos in Jeff Thisted’s myriad of excursions, in his own 1955 Chevy station wagon, all over the USA. www.idrivea55.com It is also nice that the road trips are described in a matter with good writing skills and presents itself as an on going journal. It is easy to read and get locked into what is going on during the stop overs at different places.

Jnaki

Although your situation is a little different, the idea of a couple of fenders or a body made of fiberglass does not lessen the fact that you built it. On your road trip, you will have a great time seeing things and enjoying the rest of the country. “See the USA in your…hot rod.” Does not have the same continuity as the original slogan, but we all get the picture.

Kan Kustom and kidcampbell71 like this.
  28. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

Because I couldn't afford a steel car and this was a reasonably priced facsimile. And it's not that I don't like it or want it or it even bothers me that much, it's just that I'd prefer a steel car. I don't consider it wasting time and money working on this car. I'll get it to where I want it and then decide if I'll keep it or sell it, just like every other car I've had.
    But you know in life, you don't always get what you want. You (or I in this case) have to decide what your priorities are. While I'm sure I'll always want another steel car I don't know if I can justify spending the extra money at this point in my life (I'm retired). There are a lot of others things I'd like too but can't really afford and hot rodding is not my only hobby. So it is a personal decision I have to make and thus, the title of this thread.
    And like others have said, they'd be happy with any kind of '34 coupe so I should consider myself lucky that I have one at all. When I'm tooling down the road in the car I'll be having as much fun in this car as I would in a steel car and maybe that is the most important thing. What's that old saying, something about the key to happiness is appreciating what you have instead of always lusting for the next best thing?

jim snow and Kan Kustom like this.
  29. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Anyone make fiberglass front fenders, hood, doors and trunk lid for my 47 buick? I'd like to put Sophia on a diet. LOL. Lippy

31hotrodguy likes this.
  30. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Get in that sucker, throw some Buddy Holly on the stereo and GO!!!!! Lippy

Splitbudaba likes this.