Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Go Cat Go Darren Spears

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rickybop, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is quite old news.
    But it's new to me.
    Did a search but didn't see anything here about it. It's old enough that it may be in the archives. But it's also old enough that a lot of you might also not be aware of this.

I like any of the old music that seems to go along with hot rods. I search for old pop and surf music and rockabilly and stuff. I came across a band I hadn't heard before.
    Their name is Go Cat Go.
    The lead singer's name is Darren Spears. I really like their sound. But I could only find a couple songs from them. I figured they must be somewhat new on the scene, and I began hoping to see more from them.

I had no idea... but I soon discovered that Darren was murdered in 1996. What a tragic waste. The tragedy of that happening to anybody... but also, the loss of such an extremely talented young man who I'm sure would have continued to entertain us with his wonderful music.

Here's a link to his story.
    http://themusicmuseinterview.blogspot.com/2016/05/the-haunting-tale-of-go-cat-go.html?m=1

And I thought maybe a few of you might want to listen to a couple of his songs. The stuff he wrote and sang is right down our alley. I like it, anyway. And listen to his voice... smooth, baby. With an excellent vibrato.

Makes me sad.
    But he made a mark in the short time he was here.
    I'd say, a beautiful mark.

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Yep. They were a killer band who got snuffed out way too soon!

Rickybop likes this.
  3. swifty

swifty

This is ironic Ricky. I just looked at Mark's (ct1932ford) thread about hot rods and music and he's talking about bands I've never listened to. I was thinking that my favorites would be "wailing" Wayne Hancock or Go Cat Go and then I came upon your thread. Yes that band is very popular here in Australia and all the local rockabilly bands do covers of their songs. It is a shame that they only got to do that one CD as they were really going places.

Rickybop likes this.
  4. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, he sure could sing. Very talented. And passionate. And not too hard or over-the-top. Melodic. Nice.

Music and hot and customs, man. I love it. Please Mama Please could almost be a hot rodders anthem LOL.

Well... I'm way late, but...
    Here's to Darren Spears.
    Hardly knew him and I'm still going to miss him.

jim snow likes this.

5. prpmmp

prpmmp

Very cool!! Got the early Elvis sound (to my ears)! Nice addition to my you tube playlist!! Thanks Rickybob!! Pete

Rickybop likes this.
  6. jim snow

jim snow

Cool. Thanks Rick. Snowman

Rickybop likes this.
  7. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Bummer, good music, great voice.

Rickybop likes this.
  8. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

Those guys were fairly local to me and I had the chance to meet and talk with them at a few cruise nights. They were actually set up one night on the back of a flatbed truck with hay bails. They were rockin' that night. I'm convinced they would have been huge if the rocket ride wasn't cut short. Such a senseless loss.

Rickybop likes this.
  9. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Definitely Elvis influenced.
    Aren't we all? LOL
    I figured some of you guys had probably met him. That's cool.