Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Straight Axle 63

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by DanVI, Feb 15, 2020.

1. chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  2. DanVI

DanVI

Found a few more goodies to add to my growing pile!

Cast iron chevy bellhousing.

Mallory points distributor (thought it was a dual point but not the case), coil and wires.

Holley 3310-1, 780cfm carb from a 65 chevelle, 396 - 425 hp.

Vintage Stewert Warner gauges - oil pressure, temperature and amps. Very cool stuff!

Mr gasket auto shift - missing parts but cool!

Attached Files:

j-jock, Deuces, JUNK ROD and 5 others like this.
  3. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Your bell-housing is from a truck; possibility the center hole will be larger than a passenger car bell-housing, but they do make adapter rings to take care of that. Some truck bell-housings were set up to take a slave cylinder for the hydraulic clutch assembly. On truck bell-housings, the two lower transmission bolts go from inside the bell-housing, into the transmission; bolts/washers/nuts can be used however.Auto shifter and manual trans bell-housing; is there a Clutch-Hydramat or Clutch-Flite in your future, kinda like the early Funny Cars used? I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. Nova Thug

Nova Thug
    from SG Vizzle

Nice clean body to start with.. Should be fun..!

loudbang likes this.
  5. FatBob

FatBob

Looks good, nice solid car.

loudbang likes this.
  6. DanVI

DanVI

Well finally found what I had been searching for: a Edelbrock C3B intake. I am very excited to put this very cool intake to use. Thanks again FatBob!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
  7. DanVI

DanVI

No real up date here..... the undercarriage cleaning continues. No surprises thankfully.

Not much more before I can finish off two small trunk repairs. Once done I will paint the underside red oxide.

Attached Files:

Deuces, chryslerfan55, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  8. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Really solid, and straight looking Chevy II!
    I like to have an idea about what kind of car I want to build prior to starting also. But I try not to be too constraining on my original idea, and able to bend a little here and there as the project reveals itself to me. It seems like whatever plans I have in the beginning always change a little as things progress. Sometimes because I stumble onto neat parts, and other times because a change makes it better.

loudbang, Thor1 and Baron like this.
  9. DanVI

DanVI

Well said 1971BB427. I am hoping to keep it to the late 60s but the availablilty and price of vintage race parts will dictate that!

Thinking ahead to the subframe I have collected a few bits: an old super heavy duty sprint car axle (some straightening required) leaf springs and an old ford crossmember. This stuff will clean up well!

Also, I had some material bent up for the main subframe rails. It will look closer to the original subframe rails rather then rectangular tubing and be very strong. Super happy with the results.

Attached Files:

j-jock, Deuces, JUNK ROD and 5 others like this.
  10. DanVI

DanVI

Well i have been slowly tinkering away. The underside is almost ready for paint. I hope to weld in the subframe connectors this weekend before a final sand and clean. First self etching primer, then red oxide.

The interior floor was in great shape. A good clean, paint removal and prep was done before I sprayed etching primer then a layer of undercoating (I know people will debate this decision - I did it to protect the floor but also for sound deadening). Either way it looks new!

Attached Files:

j-jock, ffr1222k, Nova Thug and 8 others like this.
  11. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Floors look great. I'd be a little concerned about welding the subframe connectors in with the doors off and on the rotisserie. These bodies flex like a son-of-a-gun.

Nova Thug and loudbang like this.
  12. DanVI

DanVI

Ahhhh yes baron! Forgot to mention, my intentions are to weld the difficult front section leaving the rear loose and held in place with one fastener each side. Once back on the ground and the doors back on I will weld in place. Thanks!

chryslerfan55, Baron and loudbang like this.
  13. Looking good Dan. A lot of work went into that floor.

loudbang likes this.
  14. DOCTOR SATAN

DOCTOR SATAN
    from okc

Hey man, cool vision. Also, thank you for posting that link to the '63 rule book. Any chance you know the link to '64 rule book, fixin' to restore the '64 C/GAS Indy winner and would like to read up. You know, research & development stage.....

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  15. DanVI

DanVI

Doctor Satan: It took some digging but eventually I found it here on the H.A.M.B - Chevy454 provided a link called: NHRA drag rule books: 1958 - present. Sorry, I have no clue how to send the link!

16. novamad

novamad

Wow looking great!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

17. squirrel

squirrel

guitarguy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  18. patman

patman

19. DanVI

DanVI

Well a couple of late nights and the underside is finally painted. Still need to install the subframe connectors but otherwise painting is finished....... I look forward to starting the fuel tank/lines, and rear brake/hose/e brake install!

Attached Files:

Chucky, kidcampbell71, Deuces and 3 others like this.
  20. squirrel

squirrel

21. DanVI

DanVI

Well progress being made during this uncertain time. Bushings and leafs are in (still have to monkey around with the front leaf mount and anchor washer - they don't seat well with upgraded polyurethane front bushings). Also got the tank and sender installed, on to brake/fuel lines and e-brake.

Attached Files:

22. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

DanVI,

Your Chevy II looks awesome. There is just something so nice about re-assembling car parts when they are all clean and neat.

Steve

23. DanVI

DanVI

At this point I am finished working on the underside of the 63. Rear brake hose and lines are in, still waiting for delivery of the proportioning valve I ordered. Fuel lines are in. Main e-brake cable also installed.

At this point I need to flip the car back over, unfortunately with the current covid situation we are following the social distancing requirement, so will have to wait on that.

In the mean time I started work on the dash. The Ash tray and ignition key hole had previously been filled in. I drilled out and filed the key hole "D" shape and finish welded the smoothed ash tray area.

Found some time to make an aluminum dash bezel to hold my three cool old stuart warner gauges!

More sanding and maybe even priming tomorrow....

Attached Files:

Deuces, JUNK ROD, Thor1 and 1 other person like this.
  24. JUNK ROD

JUNK ROD

Sweet, it look really solid!! I love chevy II I'll be following!!

loudbang likes this.
  25. squirrel

squirrel

looking good! btw that three gauge panel would fit right where the radio goes... :)

crazy5.jpg

26. DanVI

DanVI

Yes squirrel! I did think of placing them higher up in that space so the gauges would be easier to see. I do have a factory radio delete panel and I like the way it looks and it should clean up well.

I did manage to prep and primer the dash last nite!

Attached Files:

Deuces, loudbang, squirrel and 3 others like this.
  27. An Acadian grillE would be cool.

Attached Files:

Deuces and Thor1 like this.
  28. I like the delete plate Dan. It would be a shame not to use it.

loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  29. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

DanVI,

Are these radio delete plates rare or hard to find? I ask because you may want to put the gauges directly in the radio delete plate. I may have misunderstood, so if you are already saying this please disregard.

Steve

loudbang likes this.
  30. DanVI

DanVI

loudbang likes this.