Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Driveway Stains

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Charlie Stephens, Feb 12, 2020.

1. belair

belair

And Tootsie Rolls.

OLSKOOL57, nochop, Algoma56 and 2 others like this.
  2. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I don’t think any body mentioned this, but I had a friend that bought a shop that had about three inches of grease, oil and dirt mixed in it. He planned on cleaning it up, I though, right! Came back a few days later, it looked like new concrete! I couldn’t believe how good it looked. Been soaked with oil for years! I asked what did you use? He said he went to our local parts store and bought ( back when you could buy it in bulk) 5 gallons of H2S04, sulphuric acid, battery acid! Poured it all over let it set, washed it off with a hose. He did say he scraped some of it and had to apply the acid twice. I don’t think you can buy that stuff anymore...... but it’s in ever battery you turn in! But be careful with that stuff and the local gestopo probably won’t like it! It’s just what he did, with good results!
    Now mind you, I’m not recommending this method, just telling what a friend of mine did. In fact I’m recommending people don’t do this!

Bones

chryslerfan55 and nochop like this.
  3. sololobo

sololobo

kitty litter, avoid the new type with scented features, usually the less expensive works best. Kitty litter is ground clay and is just the best! Grind it in with heavy sole boots or shoes and repeat if necessary. Easy peasy

49ratfink and nochop like this.
  4. chop job

chop job
    from Wisconsin
    1. WISCONSON HAMBERS

SOMETIMES A NEW PAN GASKET WILL WORK.

5. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

I had a very bad oil stain on the concrete driveway and after trying countless ways of cleaning it I decided to try using Coke Cola and Comet Cleaner and much to my surprise it worked and the stain after almost 15 years came out of the concrete.
    My son just stopped over and he noticed the stain was gone right a way and he did not believe it when I told him how I cleaned the stain.
    He looked at me and said I drink that stuff once in a while and that removed the 15 year old stain the driveway.

Jimbo

chryslerfan55 and Boneyard51 like this.
  6. Gman0046

Gman0046

Best reason I've seen to not drink coke. Can't imagine what it does to your stomach.

Bandit Billy likes this.
  7. Just a post to say thanks. I plan on trying several of the suggestions and will post the results. I never expected there was this many ways to remove oil stains from driveways.

Charlie Stephens

Elcohaulic and chryslerfan55 like this.
  8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In one shop I worked in in Texas we mixed Tide, gasoline and water in a 5 gallon bucket to scrub the floors with some serious scrub brushes. The floor never got that dirty anyhow as we were in the habit of cleaning up after every job was done before we rolled another car in but it did scrub up any drips.
    I've seen the Portland cement thing before but never tried it.
    Another thing that may work if the spots aren't all that big is Oil eater. The feedback on it says that a lot of folks use it on their cement floors or driveways and from experience it is hell on wheels on oil and grease. The guys around here use it in their hot tanks in place of the Caustic powder they used to use.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  9. Acetone followed by cat litter sand and dancing on the spot with your brogans

slowmotion and nochop like this.
  10. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

When I was employed, I drove my DD to the shop and parked it in the same place every day. It was one of those 12 valve things with the notorious cracked front housings, that leaked real bad. I didn’t want to spot up the whole drive way. Over the years it built up quite a spot! I had salesmen come in all the time to sell me every kind of chemical imaginable.
    They would promise me their product would clean anything! I told them if they could clean that spot I would buy their product, we would walk out to the spot, they would spray their product on, mess around with it...... then go get it their vehicle and leave! Kinda liked that spot! Lol

Bones

alanp561 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Your a genius

12. LSJUNIPER

LSJUNIPER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from ct

Was told by a oil heating guy when he spills oil on a concrete floor he would put Portland cement on it. I never tried it but he said it soaks up the oil and blends in with the floor so it looks like oil never was there .

13. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mineral spirits and sawdust. Be liberal with both, and don't sweat the stain after you sweep up the sawdust. It eveaporates taking any remains with it. Really black stains need it a couple times.

14. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

Works great. Or white mortar mix.

15. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Did ya see the NASCAR cleanup crew doing the kitty litter stomp yesterday? Priceless! 'Course that ain't no dime store kitty litter they're using, probably top of the line stuff.

16. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Coke has to be neutralized to make it safe to drink, Ice cubes break it down molecularly then mix liberally with Crown Royal seems to lower the dangerous side effects. Safety first and all that.

Oh the garage floor, right, pay some punk kid to clean it while I have a drink in the shade.

alanp561, chryslerfan55 and GordonC like this.
  17. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

What do you have against Crown Royal, mixing Coke with it, cripes.
    Pure blashemy!

GordonC likes this.
  18. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All I said was it makes the Coke better, The Crown is fine on its own. :cool: I was golfing at Broadmoor last summer and they sell Royal Crown cola which of course I had to put on Crown Royal. I called it a "Royal with cheese" cuz it sounds classy.

chryslerfan55 and GordonC like this.
  19. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

HaHa..Life ain't right if my Diet Coke ain't in sight.

20. Andy K

Andy K

Soaking with purple power and then hitting it with a pressure washer usually works pretty good for me

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. When we have a large spill on the highway, we mist the area with a firehose, then go crazy with dawn dishwashing liquid. Use push brooms to scrub it around, then throw oil dry on it. The oil comes to the top so the oil dry does its job. After sitting a few minutes we shovel up the oil dry and hose the area off. Always works great.

22. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I prefer Pepsi and Canadian Club....

I'm going to try the Portand cement tonight or should I Kitty Litter stuff first. Had a major oil spill on my shop floor today. I think the engine had the wrong didpstick as it indicated bone dry. Flipped th engine on its snout and there was a return engagement of the Exxon Valdez! Was removing frozen pistons in my 8BA at the time. Long write up over at the Ford Barn...

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  23. Jon SSS

Jon SSS

24. jhexide

jhexide
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i just read about a coca-cola hack, putting cock on oil stains,

Boneyard51 likes this.
  25. slowmotion

slowmotion

Never heard it called oil stains....

Boneyard51 likes this.
  26. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

o_O

Boneyard51 likes this.
  27. jhexide

jhexide
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

oops,damn spell check....!!!

Boneyard51 likes this.
  28. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

you can see the oil stain from my truck in front of my shop in Google Street view. once or twice a month I put the automotive type kitty litter down and do the hokey pokey with my boots and grind it in, then sweep it up. it really does the job. I just did it yesterday, I'd shoot a pic but it is dark out now.

here's the Google satellite view
    aaaaaCapture.JPG

29. For years I've used gasoline just as deathrowdave suggested on concrete,
    sucks the oil right out.
    Some may disapprove but it's cheap and effective.

30. 03GMCSonoma

03GMCSonoma

I've always used Gunk engine degreaser. The only drawback was it would bleach some of the color out of the concrete. It's probably cleaning the dirt and such that discolors the concrete.