Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Van Norman 944s boring bar

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jordan LaBounty, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Jordan LaBounty

Jordan LaBounty

Hello hope I am posting this in the right place. Recently purchased a 944s van norman boring bar. While it is in good shape I would like to disassemble to clean out and re-lube everything. The other main reason why I would like to take it apart is because hand feeding the bar back up it is crunchy feeling at a certain point and sometimes binds up, the feed going down is relatively smooth. The issue I am having is that I can not remove the diamond lap to further disassemble. I have instructions and drawings for the bar showing the diamond lap has right hand threads on the inside of it that threads onto the shaft in the upper gear case. The instructions say to hold motor shaft in hand and thread off but i can not get it to unthread at all. Has anyone else happen to run into this issue? Thanks for any help

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. rust&patina

rust&patina

One of these .. Sorry, I don't know anything about them .. someone will chime in with help...;). 24f41991488b970679ecf2b41a8affbb.jpg

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I thought this going to be about Porsches. I'm relieved.

4. Jordan LaBounty

Jordan LaBounty

Rust&Patina yes one of those

5. rust&patina

rust&patina

It might help if you add 'boring bar' to the title of your thread ...

6. Worked on and rebuilt Kwik Way boring bars in the 80's with an occasional Van Norman coming thru on trade in. Hopefully you can find some new old stock gears and such.....sounds like what you will be needing. our experience was the operator was in to big a hurry and tried to cut more with less passes.....end result was some stripped gears.

7. Fordors

Fordors

Why? If someone doesn’t recognize the name Van Norman from the get go they won’t be able to offer any help anyway.

8. Jordan LaBounty

Jordan LaBounty

I believe there is a brass gear in the lower gear case assembly which I think may be the culprit. Do you happen to remember that brass gear in any of the van Norman's you had apart? Thanks

9. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I’ve got one of those, if you need parts. I supposed to trade it to OldWolf for his Y-block pile, let me know, I will contact OldWolf! Lol

Bones

10. Jordan LaBounty

Jordan LaBounty

Thanks I will keep that in mind if I can manage to even disassemble it lol

Boneyard51 likes this.