Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical dual carbs flathead

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Charles Rogers, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Charles Rogers

Charles Rogers

I have 2 holly 94 carbs Just wondering what dual carb manifold you guys would suggest using. Using a alternator and it is mounted in the center. This is more for looks then performance.

Thanks Chuck

2. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Check out this thread from yesterday : https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/flathead-spark-plug-questions.1185267/.

Don't let the title sidetrack you. Read the whole thread (it's only one page), and it should tell you what you need to know. The good stuff starts about post # 8.

If you are not already aware of them, there are several other aspects to adding dual carbs that this thread addresses. If you have an earlier engine with the front-mounted distributor, you can ignore the distributor stuff.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
  3. A129B7E9-9073-4C3C-B05A-885CB77C37B7.jpeg 180F322B-AFAF-4062-AACA-F778518E0F8C.jpeg 85C35618-EB0C-48F3-B998-3FAA59781276.jpeg D8678C81-2DDC-438D-9568-3F150AC5304C.jpeg The Edelbrock slingshot(Y shaped 2-2intake) was amongst the best producer of horsepower,the tall neat looking Thickstun was 19 h.p. Less than the Slingshot and flows terrible.

4. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The mind boggles.o_O

Surfcityrocker likes this.

5. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I'm running an Offenhauser Regular Dual on my 8BA with 2 94's, had an alternator on it during mockup and decided to run a generator. Everything fits good and plenty of room for a generator or alternator.

Attached Files:

6. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

On a flathead, "dual carbs" ain't simple. For manifolds, there are "Supers", "Regulars" (both evenly spaced and "biased" to the rear), and then there are the "High Rises" (Tattersfields, Thickston, and Edelbrock "Slingshots"). Are you looking for a setup for racing? (Edmunds made dual manifolds for 4 bolt carbs) or for the street. Do you want straight ot progressive linkage? How big is your engine? 221, 304 or something in between? You really have to decide what you want to do. The worst thing that you can do is buy a manifold just because it's cheap, and the try to force it into your scheme. And on top of all of this, if you are running an 8BA, there is the distributor issue.

IT IS NOT A SIMPLE BOLT-ON AND GO.

7. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

8. Charles Rogers

Charles Rogers

Ok I would like to thank everyone for there input. I am going to put this off till spring. It is running good right now and all I wanted is to have a little show under the hood. I'am at the age now I don't need the speed ( how I can say that with a straght face I will never know).

Thanks Chuck

Surfcityrocker and wheeldog57 like this.
  9. Charles, I had a relatively Stock 8BA with 8RT heads on it. I ran an original Edlebrock Slingshot. One carb was hooked up, other had a plate under it. It ran great. I highly recommend the Edlebrock Slingshot intake.

Later if and when you decide to run both carbs you can address the distributor issues. Flatheads dressed up with the slingshot intake are great looking motors. Here is one by member @NealinCA

upload_2020-2-25_12-29-59.png

hfh likes this.