Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1954 Chevrolet Truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by moparbrothers, Feb 24, 2020.

1. moparbrothers

moparbrothers

Drug a new project home a couple months ago. Every since my brother and I were small and mom taking us to the grocery store. We always passed by this old 5 window Chevy truck sitting in the trees by a house right next to the store. As we grew older we asked the owner about the old truck and said his dad bought it new from the dealership (still in operation) up the road from his home. He said many people have offered him a fair deal of money for the old truck and he since declined all offers. And when 2 teenage kids showed up at his front door we were surprised to find out that he wanted a younger buyer to step up and purchase the truck. After my brother making a deal of $1500 along with many stories told, We pulled the truck from the sap infested trees after sitting for 4 years and drug it home. IMG_0308.jpg
    -Brother and Original Owner
    The plan is to fix the rust and make it a nice daily driver for my younger brother to feel comfortable driving it anywhere. This is a learning experience for both of us. If we can learn more while working on this truck I would be satisfied. This is a project thread that we will be updating you on the progress.

-Noah and Isaac

2. looks really solid, congrats to that nice truck. And the previous owner is looking really satisfied with his buyers choice.
    :)

3. moparbrothers

moparbrothers

This weekend we started the processes of removing 50 years of dirt buildup to repair the rust. the floors, inner cowl panels and the driver side cab corner are all rusted out. Here are some pics of the truck as it sat in the trees and us prepping. Seat had been taken to interior shop to get redone. Removed door for easier access. Tried powerwashing Sap off with no luck. Any suggestions? 0DFE6A46-2AEA-4F8C-A808-137CE4756872.jpeg 6DA618C6-5C69-4553-8977-9CEC25E3F3DF.jpeg 42C0058B-B10A-455B-A0F0-075D3E31E423.jpeg F4D529B7-6D7D-433A-9A2C-C400A5A5E1A3.jpeg

4. Budget36

Budget36

You'll need a pressure washer that can heat/steam the water.

5. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

My first car was a 55 1st series AD truck. I started building it when I was 11. I have two 1954 five windows sitting in the wings right now, waiting their turn. I'm very excited for you guys and look forward to following along on the journey!

chryslerfan55 and moparbrothers like this.
  6. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

That pic brought back a memory- in the sixties and seventies my gramps in NY had, in his fleet, a 53 Chebbie "ton truck" amongst the deuce and a halfs, Binders and REOs, to deliver coal, dump runs, and backup grain truck. He admitted he had spent too much money fixing it up, fully rebuilt 235, good tires, paint, and some rust fixes. I remember a hole in the passenger side floor where you could watch the axle jiggle, and the draft would overcome the heater at about 30 mph. Also had fenders that were rusting loose from the cab, so the guys grabbed some 3/16 x 2 strap, and bolted the fenders to the running boards on each side to hold them on. It was the "winter team" with a Ford 8N tractor with the big bore Mercury piston kit and sporting a Wagner loader, for delivering coal and snow removal. Both had 8-volt batteries with big cables and the adjustable voltage regulators turned up, and always started right up no matter how much fresh snow they were under
    [​IMG]

7. moparbrothers

moparbrothers

We have since got the 235 to run. We cleaned out the old gas from the tank replaced ponts and condenser and it ran exceptionally well. When the rust is all fixed we will fine tune the engine. The bed has rotted away, But we have purchased a new kit. This is the area we will need help on, as we have never replaced bed wood before. Had are some more pics from when it was parked in the trees. As well as the old truck in the shop. The bed was removed as well this weekend as well. Pics from last night. More rust and what is left of the bed. IMG_0427.JPG IMG_0423.JPG IMG_0422.JPG

chryslerfan55 and LAROKE like this.
  8. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

If you live in a title state Get The Title. If there’s no title, get with the PO and see if he can help you get one.

The only thing that’s going to clean that truck is manual labor AKA elbow grease.

Try dish rags and Dawn dish soap. Don’t use cheap soap as it’s diluted. The “ power degreasers” maybe too hot for the finish and too hot on your wet hands. It really helps to soap it up and let it sit a while.
    You may find that dish soap and rags is not enough. If so move up to green Scotch Brite pads for tough areas. Really really rough spots.....gingerly use steel wool with a light touch.

After the gunk is off, you can use rubbing compound All By Hand! After that is hand buffed off.... wax it. What comes back will amaze you.

Repairs...... Right now only worry about structure! If it’s solid as in the cab braces are all in tact and it’s not going to fall apart if she goes on her side....,I would wait. Sure.... the places you can patch without disassembly; do it if you can. Corners and other cosmetic areas I would not worry about right now.

I see that have really dived in.... Carry on!

Looking at it.....Clean it up and drive it. You’ll have the rest of your life to have a garage queen. Get it running and hit the road.

I would get her running and driving. Plan on a new gas tank and new wiring at least in most spots. Is it a 3600?
    It may be a 1st 55. If it’s 12 volts factory. It’s a 1st 55.

PM me your address, I have the 1954 factory assembly manual and the 1948-52 shop manual. These are the big service manuals. Free of charge, I’ll box ‘em up and send them to you.

9. moparbrothers

moparbrothers

Yes its 6 volts and it is a 3600. Were a title state and have acquired the title so we should be set in that area. Will use your advice on cleaning the sap once the structure is sound because there is quite a quantity of it. The more we dig into the truck the more rust there is. Disassembly i of the rusted areas are already taking place, Just so we do not have to worry about it when we hit college and start having a family of our own. Things may get busier the older we get. will snap some more pics later.

10. IndigoInkTaco

IndigoInkTaco
    from Jersey

Truck looks great! Best of luck w/ it. Will be following along. Quick question tho....

What do these bolt to underneath? I believe one on the passenger side too....
    InkedIMG_0423_LI.jpg

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  11. moparbrothers

moparbrothers

Those I believe mount the cab to the frame. My brother took the pics. Will be a late night tonight. We started to remove the driver side floor 46749263-0A81-41B1-9A83-5BA995BB0700.jpeg A94CE2EF-C81B-4EBC-8AB7-E3F8361DE049.jpeg this picture might answer your question Indigo.

12. chop job

chop job
    from Wisconsin
    1. WISCONSON HAMBERS

You guys are really lucky to have found such a nice project to work on.
    HAVE FUN!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  13. In for the ride

14. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

That escalated quickly!:)

moparbrothers likes this.
  15. BaBa

BaBa

Right on! What a great project. You will learn a lot and have something very satisfying to drive when you are done.

16. Laquer thinner might dissolve the tree sap and probably your paint also.

17. tractorguy

tractorguy

Maybe try turpentine on the sap ? It may cut it and not damage paint.

18. moparbrothers

moparbrothers

Will try the methods listed. We will have to use plenty of elbow grease. Tonight we are welding in the new floor pans. Making sure to take our time and make sure everything is lined up correctly. Notice inner cowl panel removed. 3A35943B-676D-46BD-9062-B54A5D9517AB.jpeg 2488373A-AADD-4FBB-BF19-F80F9905CDE3.jpeg

Nostrebor and chryslerfan55 like this.
  19. patterg2003

patterg2003

I cut up a huge balsam tree so I ended up with a thick layer of pitch on my hands and a chainsaw covered with pitch. I tried some 70% isopropyl alcohol. It cleaned my hands perfectly and then I wiped down the saw. It worked amazingly well. Thinking in hindsight that alcohol is used to soften shellac and liquifying shellac so it can be used. Shellac is solidified pitch. Now isopropyl is my go to when I get sap on anything and it needs to go. The isopropyl is easy on finishes and worth a try. We buy it at the local pharmacy.

20. moparbrothers

moparbrothers

Stained the bed wood kit this morning, had the holes predrilled for the offset washer. Should make installing easier. We used this product and put about 3 coats on we had to stain in the basement unfinished bathroom to keep the temperature up. Made the whole house smell of stain. 1DE50E7B-7BDB-4467-A602-9B5B957B8F3F.png C4CF67AB-8079-4EF9-AA83-C966F55D7011.jpeg

Nostrebor, chryslerfan55 and LAROKE like this.
  21. Nice project - looks like you guys are doing it justice, too!

I spent a few years getting my 51 on the road, and I replaced a lot of the cab sheet metal as well. I also put a T5 behind my 235 for drivability purposes. Not sure if there is anything to be learned in my build thread, but here is the link.
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/51-chevy-3100-project.672888/
    Good luck and keep at it!

22. raven

raven

I’ll second the T-5 swap behind a 235. Makes all the difference in the world. I used a first series 55 open rear end with the factory 3:90 gears. Although they are a bit rare. I would also suggest you put the aftermarket front sway bar for the panel delivery on it. Big difference in drivability.
    I love my 54 Chevy truck.
    r

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

23. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

You know, it took a lot of years for me to fully appreciate the 54's, not sure why, maybe it's the one year only deal, grill, one piece windshield, etc. not sure, saw one once that was unforgettable, dark green, chrome grill, bumpers, don't know, but that, the lowered stance and the wheels just worked for me.
    Subscribed!

Nostrebor and chryslerfan55 like this.
  24. Good job on the cleanup and project work. You can do a lot with time and not much money.

IndigoInkTaco likes this.