Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Please help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34ChevyMaster, Feb 24, 2020.

1. 34ChevyMaster

34ChevyMaster

I have a 34 Chevy Master. I installed a 265 V8 with auto. I am having a very hard time finding a radiator, especially one that’s not a thousand bucks.
    If anyone out there has a “ similar car” and has an after market aluminum unit could you please tell me what you used. If you didn’t build your car I don’t care as long as you know the radiator you used at it’s been in the last 5 years or so. I will need cooling lines on the bottom.
    If you know someone who might have information please send them my request.
    Ready to start rebuilt engine but can’t find cooling.
    Thank you

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

@34ChevyMaster

I think I would start by researching websites of popular radiator manufacturers / vendors to get the dimensions of the original radiator for you car. The 265 should be shorter than the old six cylinder so I wouldn’t expect clearance problems with stock dimension. With those measurements, check out the lower cost units advertised in numerous websites and catalogs. That should give you some choice about the configuration that will work for your project and a price spread to fit your budget.

Ray

3. I realize a copper/brass radiator are expensive but if you plan on keeping the car they are your best bet, the one in my avatar is now 32 years old and I have never had a problem.

I haven't had very good luck with aluminum radiators, some people have. HRP

4. 26Troadster

26Troadster

my uncle had a 35 chevy coupe with a 392 hemi, he used a 58 chevy radiator but don't remember if it was from a truck or car. i do remember him saying it fit real nice.

stillrunners likes this.

5. chopped

chopped

In my 36 Chevy a 64 Mustang worked just fine, if you have the same amount of room.

6. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

If you find one (reasonable$$) without the 'cooling lines at the bottom', consider an accessory cooler, mounted under passenger kick board. I have one of those on my F100, (350/350) under floor alongside battery. No problems for 40+ years.

7. a little measuring, a little searching and a little fabrication will probably yield about a couple dozen choices. This is what hotrodding is all about. And despite what you hear or read, aluminum will do as good a job as brass, for a tenth the price. Hell, you could buy two, keep one for a spare, and still have 700.00 left over. Champion radiator might be a good place to start your search.

8. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

As much as I like to support American companies. I have a Champion in my unibody. It cools a built small block quite well, I never have heat issues, even in 90+ temps cruising in hardly moving traffic

9. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Try the Radiator Lady in SoCal.

10. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Can't help with a radiator. I'm curious about the "265 V-8 with auto". The only bolt direct automatics would be a cast iron Powerglide or an old 4 speed Hydro, unless you have an adapter for the starter motor or a 57, 265 block. How's your starter motor bolted up, or maybe it's the Baby LT1 late model 265? Just curious; when I see "265", flags go up. I have 265's, and parts galore. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

11. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Yogi's Has a radiator to fit you 34 Master for around $500...

12. Budget36

Budget36

@racer-x spoke of a guy in his area that built quality radiator at a good price. Maybe he'll chime in soo.

13. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Champion is in so-cal, possibly them, Had nothing but positive experiences with there product!

14. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

I believe a stock '34 Chevy is a Cellucore/Honeycomb type radiator, to me and maybe it's just me but the old '20's & '30's Chevy's look better with that style. I did a '29 Chevy coupe a few years ago and had to have a modern tube type made BUT I designed it so that I could put a Honeycomb façade, 1/2" thick, in front of tubes to get that stock look. The metal façade was bought from a high end Duesenberg restorer pretty cheap, think he felt sorry for me but understood the fixation on a stock look...……………………………….

15. BobPer

BobPer

I'm not affiliated with any advertisers, but this is basically what I used for a 350 Chevy engine in my 36 Dodge. Top center port and bottom right port for small block Chevy. Pay no attention to the 32 Ford application (it only translates to: they make a lot of them so they are cheap and not considered "custom"), JUST THE DIMENSIONS, just make your own brackets to marry the radiator into your grill shell if it will dimensionally fit, then cut off the brackets you don't use. If it fits it's cheap, if not, move on. Hope that helps.
    upload_2020-2-24_19-17-50.png