Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Cadillac engine in 1950 AD truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sheparj2, Feb 21, 2020.

1. sheparj2

sheparj2

Hello, I've done some searching on here so I think I have some ideas on how to do this but wondering if anyone has specifically done what I am doing. I have a 1960 390 Cadillac in my 1950 Chevy 1/2 ton. My grandfather originally installed it in the 60's but the install needs some updating. You can see it was mounted really high. I don't have a ton of fabrication skills and I would rather not weld on the frame itself. I'm thinking of the old style hemi type of mounts bolted to the inside of the frame. Would you guys partially box the frame to reduce twisting? Any other thoughts? Thank you.

engmount.JPG mounts.JPG

31hotrodguy likes this.
  2. If you have retained the original crossmembers the frame ought to be strong enough. I dunno is it working now. The engine has no idea about how high or low its setting. If its not broken why fix it?

porknbeaner likes this.
  3. Box the frame for sure. That Cad has a lot of torque.

4. Ok he stated he would rather not weld on the frame? How do ya box a frame without welding on it?

41rodderz likes this.

5. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Drive it!
    It's lasted this Long... Obviously look it over safety wise..
    Dig how Gramp's was thinking, Kool to be able to have a truck with a couple generations of lineage

6. sheparj2

sheparj2

That was an old pic. I already removed the motor and mounts. The big problem was that it was way off center to clear the original steering box. I'm relocating the steering box so I won't need to have it so off center. Also, it just seemed like a lot of weight sitting on the rails. They were kind of dented down, I'm figuring they just weren't designed to have the weight of the engine sitting on the edges of the rails like that.
    new.jpg

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
    Hnstray and anthony myrick like this.
  7. sheparj2

sheparj2

I have considered making my life a whole lot easier and just finding a running small block chevy..... so many companies make aftermarket mounts for the SBC in these trucks..... seems kinda boring though. I like the idea of the Caddy motor. If I really need to I can weld on the frame I suppose.... Thank you for the responses. Jason

8. From your picture it appears the original rear crossmember has been removed that possibly would allow the frame to flex.

9. sheparj2

sheparj2

Yes, you are correct. I was going to build some type of crossmember in its place after I get everything installed.

10. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

There is a cross member/engine mount cradle, made of round tubing, that the ends could be bolted in, and the rest of the cross-member welded to be secure. Same with the rest of the frame, bolt-in cross-members. I always thought the steering box was an issue with these trucks and engine swaps (even with a SBC); usually the engine had to be offset towards the passenger side. That might be the reason the engine was mounted "high" up", to clear the steering box. Or, seeing the driver side frame rail has an added on bracket, maybe a different steering box was used?
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

11. Hnstray and belair like this.
  12. that mount is not caddy specific
    you would have to modify one of build one from scratch

13. belair

belair

I can't add much except that Butch is right about even SBC engines having to be offset to clear the steering. I had a 327 in my 50 AD and it was moved over. No big deal. Sure miss that little truck.

14. Or another thing they used to do was to move the steering gear outward, I've seen that done a couple of times...

15. sheparj2

sheparj2

Yes, I have read that the even the small block can hit the steering box. Some people have had success with certain types of exhaust manifolds but seems to be hit or miss. It seems the solution is to either just go with IFS or go to an aftermarket power steering setup that locates the steering box on the outside of the frame (the approach I am going to take). I did see those aftermarket tube crossmembers. Maybe that would be a good place to start. I'm sure I would have to do some modification but may be a solid beginning. Thanks again.

16. sheparj2

sheparj2

My Grandpa had moved the steering column waaaayyyyy over. I'm talking like 5 or 6 inches. It made me chuckle when I figured out what he had done.

17. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

18. rudestude

rudestude

Here's some info that might help for something...
    I have a article in one of my old hot rod magazine's on putting a Cadillac engine in a early 50's pu and also some sbc installs also.
    And I have a pile of older Truckin magazines too....I will see what I can find. 20200222_111013-1.jpeg 20200222_111031.jpeg 20200222_111156.jpeg 20200222_111212.jpeg

Sent from my SM-T387V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

belair and warbird1 like this.
  19. sheparj2

sheparj2

Nice! Thank you!

20. rudestude

rudestude

Still looking ....I have found how to put a Cadillac engine in about everything else except the early Chevy trucks...I had a little incident with most of my magazine collection a couple weeks ago so its all a mess at the moment .
    But I will still do some digging.
    I run across some old ads on adapters and most of the engine mounts I am seeing is the Hurst universal type.
    I will post what ever info I can find. 20200223_010747.jpeg 20200223_010725.jpeg 20200223_010806.jpeg 20200223_010754.jpeg

Sent from my SM-T387V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Texas57 likes this.
  21. I'm not a Cadillac guy , however isn't there a starter adaptor that moves the starter to the starter to the passanger side of the engine?

22. Cadillac starters are on the passenger side... you're thinking of Olds engines.

23. 62rebel

62rebel

Stick with the Cadillac. Having it offset to clear the steering was already dialed in. You can box areas of the frame by bolting in reinforcements.

rudestude likes this.
  24. Your truck has a neat history with your grandfather and that Cadillac V8. On top of that, just think of how much cooler that Cadillac V8 will look compared to a small block when you pop the hood!

kadillackid, Texas57 and rudestude like this.
  25. sheparj2

sheparj2

Very true. I think you guys have given me some good starting info. I think I'm getting ahead of myself. I will set the motor and trans where I want it, then figure out how to bridge the gap between the frame and the engine. Sounds simple enough...:)

Old wolf likes this.
  26. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Know that engines and transmissions are normally located in the center of the frame rails..........However, an engine and transmission can be installed off center as long as its kept parallel to the frame rails. OEMs have done that successfully. You would then need to install a rear end that has the center section located off center the same amount unless its a minor offset.
    Not my first choice but an option to consider if steering and exhaust are not working out. Try the locating method I suggested above and you can put an engine where ever you want...easily.;)

27. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

That's basically what we did getting the 365 Cadillac/700r4 into a 1938 Dodge Sedan. The firewall had been cut so we just stacked it up, braced it up with jackstands, and made paper patterns and then steel. The stock Cadillac motor mounts have the stud that fits in the slots and it sits perfectly. This car already had a M2 front suspension when I bought it, and the steering shaft will tuck right under the mount. Everything clears, and you can see the rods defining clearance at the back. My sheetmetal guy uses those kinda like a buck. If those clear, then the floor will as well. The motors been in and out about three times so far, and will go in one more time before going on the engine stand for cleanup and painting. IMG_20200224_133321764.jpg IMG_20200224_133327777.jpg IMG_20200224_133336818.jpg

28. Ya'll are fuckin killin me here. LMFAO

Old Wolfe is correct you cannot box a frame without welding.

Its an AD truck they got a pretty substantial frame, the cad makes 430 FtLbs. That is not crazy torque. Trust me.

"Box the frame for sure. . ." That is rich. LMFAO

29. BaBa

BaBa

Yeah and box the frame for sure. If you are not comfortable welding, hire somebody like I did. I had an Olds motor in one of my AD's that wasn't boxed and when you stepped on it, it felt like a Flexi Flyer. My current AD was my Grandfather's and is all '74 Camaro drive train and suspension. We boxed the frame to the back of the cab and it drives like a dream.