Register now to get rid of these ads!

I'M no longer LOCKED OUT

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Feb 22, 2020.

1. goldmountain

goldmountain

HOTRODPRIMER and 3W JOHN like this.
  2. Belle53

Belle53

that lock on the passenger door is VERY easy to pick , it will not keep even a novice out

under a minute easy

clem, chryslerfan55 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  3. alchemy

alchemy

I don't think the outside handle can open the latch if the inside handle is locked. I'll go out and check my sedan later and see. But if the inside handle is locked, the keyed cylinder doesn't really matter. Maybe I'm wrong?

upspirate, Fordors, 47ragtop and 4 others like this.
  4. RMONTY

RMONTY

Hmmm....seems like there is a featured thread on the H.A.M.B. right now that has "shit" in the title. Something about living frugally with old shit I think. Was your thread deleted because you used "shit" or because you said "oh shit"? Just curious.

5. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"My last thread was deleted because of the title, profanity in the subject line, can't say Oh $hit in the title line"
    I might be shooting myself in the foot and I don't want to poke the tiger but the boss had a recent post:
    Frugally Living With Old Shit Features
    Regardless you are up and running again and hopefully soon to be able to get into the '32.

6. The inside passenger door handle is indeed locked from the inside and that's ehat I have been thinking. HRP

loner2 likes this.
  7. rusty bill

rusty bill

You should be able to get a coat hanger past the brake peddle from underneath the floor and work and bend it to move the inside handle to unlock the door with someone watching through the window .

8. v8flat44

v8flat44

You need a spare glass for one of them doors........sorry Danny....just had to say someth'n.....
    seriously, wishing you good luck.

chryslerfan55 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  9. I pointed out another thread that was on going that had the "F" word in the subject line and Mark changed it to "screwed up" but he didn't close the thread, even Ryan had posted on it.

BTW, Mark did not delete the first thread and encouraged me to repost with a different title.

Ryan is the boss and he can do whatever he wants. HRP

10. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

Too bad you did not have spare keys. That is one of the first things I make for a car.

Algoma56 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  11. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

Would it be possible to flex the rear window seal up enough to be able to push the whole assembly inside the car? I've known a couple guys that took that route to get in. Good luck!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  12. alchemy

alchemy

You can’t push the rear window past the window molding.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  13. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Usually the last thing I do when I park at home, is roll down the drivers window before getting out because the keys stay in the ignition...I don't know where to find them otherwise let alone the spare set. I had something like this happen on my '39 years ago that made me get into this habit.
    I know this doesn't help your current situation...I liked the get past the brake pedal suggestion and the plastic strap....
    Good luck

jim snow and chryslerfan55 like this.
  14. BigJim394

BigJim394

Watch the video at this link:
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.re...ked_your_car_keys_inside_no_problem_pass_the/

I know it is a van with power windows
    What I suggest is you put strips of tape to pull down on the window, and another set of strips to pull up on the window
    Have two people alternate pulling up andd down and see if you can get the riser mechanism to move just enough so
    That you can get a coat hanger in there

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  15. I not only make a spare key to keep at the house I make a third key and put it in my safety deposit box at the bank along with my will and trust. I do this for all of my keys. If you look up paranoid in the dictionary you will see my picture.

Charlie Stephens

chryslerfan55 and chopped like this.
  16. Are all of your windows safety glass? If not it might be time to replace them.

Charlie Stephens

17. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I'd say that's worth a try!
    On Edit: I'm referring to the tape video.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
    kidcampbell71 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  18. After doing a little detective work my choice of the word $hit is not considered profanity although according to Websters abridged dictionary states it is considered to be vulgar.

It this time it is a moot point and not worth the aggravation.HRP

loner2, fauj and chryslerfan55 like this.
  19. All the glass is safety glass, I'm starting to question the idea of a locksmith being able to help me, the passenger side door latch is locked in the upright position from inside the car.

The exterior key hole lock has not been locked.

I'm going to make the call tomorrow, hopefully the locksmith had tricks I'm not aware of. HRP

loner2 likes this.
  20. bchctybob

bchctybob

I know you said that you just redid your window regulators but I would use palms or suction cups and give all the windows a good try. There’s bound to be one that will drop enough to give you some access.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

tb33anda3rd and chryslerfan55 like this.
  21. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Dagnabbit Danny, what would 3W Larry do?

winduptoy likes this.
  22. On my 32 pickup, I was concerned that something like this could happen. I reversed the operation of the interior handles so that they pushed forward to open the door. Gravity couldn't be part of the equation at that point. I'm aware that this doesn't help, just offering a thought for people to think about.

nochop likes this.
  23. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

As far as detective work......

To clear this up ......
    It wasn’t a knee jerk reaction.

In your original post a Moderator first thought you locked yourself out of your camper trailer which of course would be off topic.

It was a simple mistake.
    Hope this clears things up.

24. I know about going through the clutch & brake holes in the floor and having someone guide the long rod to reach the door handle, that would work on a original car that didn;t have the wooden toe boards replaced with steel, the toe boards a screwed down, I also have kil-mat, insulation and carpet on the floor, there just is now way to gain access from the bottom.

I tried prying open the cowl vent but the ratchet mechanism is so tight the flat pry bar was starting to damage the the leading edge of the vent.

I do appreciate all the ideas and believe me I lost sleep worked on this problem laying in bed all night long going over all the suggestions offered. HRP

loner2, chryslerfan55 and 47ragtop like this.
  25. Thanks Cob it's no big deal, the re-post is verbatim to the first. HRP
    Thanks for looking into it. HRP

loner2 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  26. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

How about a surgical procedure on the glass? Choose the worst window score with a glass cutter tap and remove the first layer gaining access to the plastic film. Cut film with a razor knife, proceed to second layer of glass. Might be less damaging than beating out two layer safety glass. Good luck.

chryslerfan55 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  27. 47ragtop

47ragtop

As stated previously the outside door lock cylinder will not unlock the door, the inside handle must be moved to the unlock position. I had the same thing happen to me ( my wife was using our 34 tudor ) at a shopping mall . After much thinking I broke a hole in the rear window because it was the smallest cheapest and much easier to replace than a door or side window. I bought a couple of cheap telescopic curtain rods and some tape to hold them long enough. Poked the curtain rod thru the hole in the rear glass and with hooked end inside and pulled the door handle to the unlocked position. Cleaned up the glass on the back seat taped the hole shut and drove home. Later Bill

28. How about the front windshield? did you happen to leave it loose enough to slide open?
    Maybe use a plastic. scraper to work it open front the out

locksmith is no good in the case of being locked from the inside.
    What a AAA will want to do is pry open the door and install one of those pump up pillows to work enough of a gap to run a rod down to the door handle to pull it open.

FYI everybody keys don’t work in this instance. Any keys

upspirate and chryslerfan55 like this.
  29. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Back in the late 50's I got locked out of my old Chevy. I asked a friend that worked in the shop at local Olds dealership what to do and he said Olds keys were the same and loaned me his master set. Looked like about 100 keys on that ring and one unlocked it. Know anyone that might have an old style Ford master set? Jimmie

30. 37 caddy

37 caddy
    from PEI Canada

I remember years ago my son was working for me in my bodyshop,he accidently locked the drivers door on a toyota pickup he was fixing,we worked at it for over an hour to get the door open,we finally got it,somehow we forgot to try the other door,it was openo_O.On your car is one door maybe easier to open then the other?,might be worth a try and see if it is easier. Harvey

chryslerfan55 likes this.