Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My GN Cycle Car tribute build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ziggster, Dec 5, 2018.

1. They both look good though i prefer the 3d render....except for the awful faux military/bomber paint. Leave all that "theme" stuff to someone else please.

2. Ziggster

Ziggster

Didn't have time to make it to the machinist yet. Pretty sure now that I'll build it with more of a 20s/30s theme along the lines of the 3D model done by Petro Shekhter. I'd still like to make it a two seater though. A few more pics of his 3D model. Absolutely brilliant work.
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

3. Ziggster

Ziggster

I can see light at the end of tunnel. Perhaps next week he'll have the pistons and valves installed, then it's coming home. Will be ordering a bunch of stuff this weekend.
    image.jpeg

Toms Dogs, Stogy, brEad and 3 others like this.
  4. Ziggster

Ziggster

Just in case some haven't seen my other thread on transporting an engine, the short block is back at home finally in my workshop. The machinist blasted the stock heads and intake as well which is nice as I want to button it up a bit temporarily. I've started cleaning out the workshop to make more space, and I also need to build a simple gantry system to move the massive chunk of iron about.
    image.jpeg
    image.png
    image.jpeg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
    Stogy and motoklas like this.
  5. Ziggster

Ziggster

Unfortunately, there has been no progress on the build, as my "simple" overhead/gantry crane project turned out to be a lot more work than I imagined. Hoping I can wrap that up this week. Link below for those interested.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/overhead-gantry-thoughts-on-using-wood.1174779/

Picked up some Autolite spark plugs I ordered before Christmas from the local NAPA store. Only reason I ordered these was I had read the base was black. As you can see from the pic, it is not black, but I decided to keep them anyways as NAPA was willing to take them back. While there, I asked if they had any engine paint, and they had a decent selection, so I decided I'd try the New Ford Grey Engine enamel from Dupli-Color (CDE1611).
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

6. Ziggster

Ziggster

Just another quick update. I finished the overhead trolley/crane and it works great. The real test will be lifting the engine onto the stand hopefully this weekend. First I need to fab up an exhaust mounting plate for the engine stand.
    Last Friday, I picked up an Allen Syncrograph in Rochester, NY which I hope to use to help me rebuild my helmet dizzy. It lights up, but needed a 6V battery. I'll fool around with that when I have some "spare" time.
    I also picked up a cheap old King Canada planner last night which I'll use to clean up the oak beams which will be used as inserts in the frame rails.
    Also been fiddling around with spark plugs and a wire set I got from someone on the Barn.
    I have other threads as well on the Barn if your interested about the Allen Syncrograph, and the other things I mentioned.
    Picked up my flywheel tonight from the machinist. So, it's been busy, but I should start working on the engine and frame this week and next. Let the games begin.
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

Jet96, brEad, catdad49 and 4 others like this.
  7. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

You could always try using gun bluing solution on the spark plugs as an alternative. Either that or mask the insulators and paint them black. Hell, you could just use a black sharpie pen and nobody would know.

loudbang likes this.
  8. Ziggster

Ziggster

I'm still cleaning up my basement workshop, but managed to paint the stock intake and stock heads tonight. I'm really surprised at how rough the surfaces are from the casting process. It probably would have been better to use a brush-on paint, but I'll just keep adding coats, however I've already used up my rattle can.
    One head still had a bit of metal debris inside, and had already started corroding around some of the coolant openings on the machined mating surface. Not sure what I should do to clean it up other than what I just scraped away with an utility knife. When the paint dries, I'll flip it over and take some pics. It's probably 80 degrees in my garage with 6,000 W of heat pumping out. Lol.
    image.jpeg

kidcampbell71, Stogy, brEad and 2 others like this.
  9. Ziggster

Ziggster

Thought I was going to finish the adapter for my engine stand this weekend, but of course it took longer than expected. The cardboard template the machinist made worked, and only one of the holes was a bit off even though the pattern matched that of an old exhaust gasket I found. The pipe I had purchased for the engine stand was the correct diameter, but was heavily galvanized, so it took a bit of work to remove the coating on the inside and what I could reach on the inside where I will make the weld. The bolts I purchased were also too long (1.25"), so I had to cut them down to 3/4" which was more work. I also had to trim the 1/4" plate at the passenger front due to a budge protruding in the block. I'm really looking forward to getting the block up on the stand so I can paint it, and start working on it.

Head with a few of my Hillman flange head bolts. I have only 8 and need to see if I can purchase the rest next month.
    image.jpeg

Same head with corrosion. I think I will try to see if I can buff it out.
    image.jpeg

Engine stand adapter mocked up.
    image.jpeg

10. Ziggster

Ziggster

Managed to finish the adapter last night, and used my overhead "crane" to lift the block onto the stand. I feel like things will finally start moving towards the actual build now.

image.jpeg

11. Ziggster

Ziggster

Took a road trip yesterday to pick up a few parts. Better part of a day there and back, but it is all part of the journey. Since I started this project, I've probably travelled 4,000 kms gathering parts, and have met really great folks along the way. That is actually what has made this so much fun and interesting. There are so many unheard hero's working their majic looking for no reward or recognition. The guy selling the parts was in the process of finishing up his flathead which was going into a Ford tractor. He had four of them, plus a few more. His farm property was actually split between the USA and Canada, and was on the road of a very remote border crossing.
    I ended up picking up another early Ford aluminum intake. I noticed the front stud is much shorter than mine which is interesting. It requires a few repairs as there are two threaded holes in the upper surface as well as a stripped stud carb mounting hole. I may just keep the holes and add some brass plugs. The other one I have had two stripped stud holes plus two holes drilled in the front.
    I also picked up another oil pump assembly. This one has a bit of a splash guard above the strainer which mine does not have.
    Lastly, I picked up a 94 carb. It is a bit rough, but I'm hoping between this one, and the other two I have, I can cobble up a good one.
    He had lots of other parts including three 8BA blocks which he claimed were good, but I didn't ask what he was asking for those.
    Also, I've been researching whether I could braze my frame together. There were lots of opinions, but it seems perhaps brazing is not the strongest or best approach. Having said that, I will give it a try as well as oxy gas welding. I prefer not to MIG weld for several reasons, including the fact that I'm not good enough to make confident and good looking welds, but I'll practice a bit more. I'm also looking to see what is available as far as courses. Link to my thread on that subject below if interested:

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ts-vs-mig-welded.1183806/page-3#post-13444698

Early Ford Intakes. The one I just purchased is on the right. Notice the much shorter gen/fan? mounting stud.
    image.jpeg

Oil pump with splash guard.
    image.jpeg

Holley 94. It is completely seized, but otherwise in good shape.
    image.jpeg

brEad, Stogy, motoklas and 2 others like this.
  12. Rolfzoller

Rolfzoller

It’s always nice to hear from your progress.

Ziggster, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  13. Ziggster

Ziggster

Started disassembling 2 of the three carbs I have including the one just purchased. The one I just purchased looked not too bad from the outside, but inside it was moderately corroded with mismatched screws and some parts missing. Not a big deal as I can probably use parts from the other two. I placed the bottom half from the other carb I disassembled into my vibrator tumbler with walnut shells. It barely fit, so it will be interesting to see how things turn out.

Mangled/dented float.
    image.jpeg
    Quite a bit of corrosion.
    image.jpeg

Re-started on my oil pan as well. Got the oil drain plug and clean out plate removed. Drain plug was also mangled pretty good. For more info check out the thread below. Heading out tomorrow to pick up a sand blast cabinet so I can bead blast my aluminum intakes and other parts.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...eavy-duty-oil-pan-worth-saving.1133790/page-2

loudbang, motoklas and Stogy like this.
  14. Ziggster

Ziggster

Another 600 km road trip yesterday to pick up a few things. Managed to purchase this vintage copper fire extinguisher (late 20's early 30's) and vintage Schrader tire pressure gage from a retired fireman here in Ottawa who had a very nice collection of automobilia and fire prevention stuff.
    The fire extinguisher was actually made in Brockville, ON about one hours drive south-west of Ottawa. Not sure if I'll remove the copper coloured paint someone applied at one point. The removable lid is all cast bronze which is very nice. No more road trips. Gotta do more work. Lol...
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
  15. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

This model is just amazing. Color me jealous.

loudbang likes this.
  16. Sir, I have been following your GN thread with interest. Been negotiating on a Curtiss OX5 Engine in parts but mostly complete. The plan was to make an aero engined replica of some sort or design, not necessarily Edwardian but certainly pre WWII era. This thread is a wonderful source of data. I'd like to use as many repro parts as I can, thinking T or Model A "modified" as these are plentiful in the USA (as opposed to GN). Is there anywhere I can find/download drawings of the thoughts of others more qualified than me who have trod this path before? Happy to pay if needs be, it would really help my planning.

Ned Ludd likes this.
  17. Rolfzoller

Rolfzoller

Have a look on this thread
    AERO-ENGINED VINTAGE RACERS

Ned Ludd likes this.
  18. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Link here.

19. Ziggster

Ziggster

My apologies for not responding sooner. I have been absent as my wife passed away in late February. Although she had cancer, and was diagnosed as terminal, she had been told she had another 1.5 to 3 years left, so her death came as a shock to everyone in our family.
    I've been busy literally picking up the pieces, and trying my best to take care of my two daughters who are my first priority at the moment. Being a single parent is a big change for me, and we're still adjusting to the changes, so it will likely be some time before I can resume work on this project, but when I do, I'll be sure to post on the progress.

Outback, slv63, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  20. Rocky72

Rocky72
    from Pa.

Sorry for your loss .

Ziggster, Hombre and kidcampbell71 like this.
  21. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Sorry to hear this!

22. I´m so sorry to hear that.

23. Rolfzoller

Rolfzoller

I’m speechless,wish you and your daughters all the best.
    Sorry I can’t write that in English what I want to say you in this horrible situation.

24. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

That is terrible news. I really feel for you and your girls. I just can't imagine.

25. I'm in need of some advice. Researching building an aero engine racer (Covid lockdown, no much else to get me in to trouble). I have a 1927 Bugatti (its a replica so no worries on modifying) and looking at dropping in an OX5 engine. Is there a resource somewhere to help me understand a workable Flywheel/Clutch/gearbox arrangement? There are enough around that the problem is certainly not new. Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

Outback likes this.
  26. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am sorry for the loss of your wife.

27. So sorry for your loss. I can relate to the single parent thing.....I did that for many years. PM me if you want...

28. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Condolences @Ziggster on this trying time...in your and the Family's loss. Yes...taking time to heal is a given...

Regards,
    Stogy

Ziggster and Hombre like this.
  29. So sorry to hear about your wife. Thoughts and prayers for you and your daughters.

Ziggster, Stogy and Hombre like this.
  30. loudbang

loudbang

Sorry for your loss. :(