Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Southeast Gasser 65 Comet Super Stock Wagon

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by southcross2631, Jan 19, 2020.

1. BradinNC

BradinNC

Did you use glyptol on your lifter valley and timing chain recess? I heard of somebody recently using rustoleum primer. They even used it in the crankcase area.

loudbang likes this.
  2. southcross2631

southcross2631

Yes. It is glyptol. The machine shop I used down in Florida uses it on all of his race engine machine shop prep. It's included in the cost. Kind of a nice touch.
    Some machine shops you are lucky it is even clean.

TBirdGirl26, scott27, Thor1 and 5 others like this.
  3. southcross2631

southcross2631

Just spent all day grinding on my Performer RPM and then another 2 hours acid porting the places I couldn't get to. Will post some pictures tomorrow.

4. southcross2631

southcross2631

Got a few pics of the intake after grinding and acid porting. That black spot in the bottom photo is from painting the manifold with a plug out of the back. DSCF3609.JPG DSCF3608.JPG

TBirdGirl26, scott27, AHotRod and 7 others like this.
  5. southcross2631

southcross2631

Well FedEx came today with my front wheels. Got my motor almost ready today.
    Supposed to be rainy next few days so I can start on building the chunk for the rear end. DSCF3610.JPG DSCF3611.JPG DSCF3612.JPG

TBirdGirl26, scott27, brEad and 11 others like this.
  6. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Well it looks like we're at it again, your new one, my new one !! Gonna be close, who gets there first, haha !! Looking good Mike !!

dirty old man, Hombre, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  7. southcross2631

southcross2631

As usual Johnny the limiting factor is cash. I could have this car done in a month if finances didn't get in the way.
    I have finally got enough dry weather to get it off the trailer and into the driveway . I got the back seat out yesterday and will start cutting the rust out of the floors today.
    Trying to get the front seat out this morning. Sometime in this cars life they put carpet in over the original rubber floor mat. There's 3 layers of wet mess I am pulling out.

8. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

I know the feeling ever so well !! The 327 I'm putting together as a back up motor will probably go in the 55 for Super Stock. Got to see how it runs first !! Gonna be tight to make Florida with Fiddle Picker with back up engine, doing as much as I can myself so I have more control of the timeline. Looking forward to lining up with you as always !!

9. southcross2631

southcross2631

Good rainy day project. I got my chunk built. Strange carrier, spool , Daytona pinion support. 5.29 gear with 1350 strange yoke. Tomorrow I will paint it. DSCF3614.JPG DSCF3613.JPG

10. southcross2631

southcross2631

Well I went up in the hills today and found some parts . Got me some 15x7 small bolt pattern original Ford wheels $ 25.00 each. Also a good deal on a 5 gallon fuel cell. Be surprised how much good stuff is hidden in the hills of Tn. Just got to know where to look. DSCF3617.JPG DSCF3616.JPG DSCF3618.JPG
    Got my chunk painted today.

11. You have talent sir, this will be one bitchin STW when done. Thanks for sharing!

12. southcross2631

southcross2631

FinnishFireball. Thank you for the complement . I am just an old man who has been doing this for a long time.

13. southcross2631

southcross2631

The snow melted off the car this morning and the sun came out. It warmed into the 40's and I got the 6 cylinder and 3 speed out. Now I can get to work on building the car.
    does anybody need a good running engine and trans ? I gave the guy I bought the car from 2 weeks to come and get it . After that it's gone. Only got a one car garage so a lot of this work will be done outside. DSCF3619.JPG DSCF3620.JPG

14. Hombre

Hombre

Hey 2631 Make a post over on the "Pay-It-Forward" section. Someone may need this engine that is not reading this thread. I put a Ford 6 cylinder over there not to long ago and a feller from Tennesse came and got that one.

15. southcross2631

southcross2631

I am going to wait until the has the 2 weeks to come and get it. I already put the seats over there too try and give them away.

TBirdGirl26, Fiddle Picker and Hombre like this.
  16. southcross2631

southcross2631

Well the front seat is junk. I had to cut it up to get it out. Some previous owner decided to put carpet over the original rubber mat and it got wet and the bolts were hopelessly rusted into the floors and frames. So the Sawzall and grinder with a cutting disc came out . Then I set the old rotten batting that they upholstered over on fire and had to cut the seats up with a razer knife to get it out. What a day.
    The back seat simply unbolted , but the front took a half a day to get out. to make it worse it snowed for about 2 hours. I came in and took a shower and the sun came out.
    Building old cars is easy, anybody can do it. Just ask them.

17. catdad49

catdad49

What's the Fun in things going as planned?! Perserverance And Patience along with a few cuss words will win the day, you got this.

18. southcross2631

southcross2631

The fun stuff starts tomorrow . I have the floors ready to be marked and cut out with my plasma cutter .
    Then grind all the scale and rust off so I have clean metal to weld to. If all goes well I can have the new floor pans at least tacked by tomorrow night.

19. southcross2631

southcross2631

As usual the day did not go as planned . There was way more rust in the floors than I thought.
    So I spent the day cutting and drilling out spot welds. I could have let some go . It's just a race car , but I just can't stand rust.
    After getting it all cut out I figured it would be a great time to make my subframe connectors That way I can do them standing up or at least sitting on the door sill. Got this far today. It might be a good time to move the rear springs in a few inches. DSCF3621.JPG DSCF3622.JPG

TBirdGirl26, scott27, AHotRod and 9 others like this.
  20. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

I have been following your build, keep the updates coming. Attached are a couple of pictures that may give you some ideas on moving the leaf springs in. This is my ‘64 as shown in my avatar, (old photo) I also built tubular traction bars that run parallel to the leafs and swing the same arc so there is no binding though out the suspension travel. The subframe connectors are fabricated not tubing, I wanted them to follow the floor pan and not hang down below the factory subframes.
    Jim
    EE621689-8D70-4F35-9C12-C505DF44A387.jpeg 5E7B237F-3EC0-4302-B7C7-991CFC2A11D4.jpeg

21. southcross2631

southcross2631

Thank you very much for those photos. I wish I had the capability to rotate my car like that but it will be on jack stands and on my back.

TBirdGirl26 and Fiddle Picker like this.
  22. southcross2631

southcross2631

Not much to report today except I got my front tires mounted up. I am gutting the dash. took the heater out today. Looks like a new heater core Free if you want it. I took the old AM radio out and did an old stock eliminator trick. take 3 lbs out of a steel radio. It didn't work anyway so I am taking out everything but the face preset the dial to 65 and removed everything behind the dial. Not going to buy a block off plate when this is free and takes about a half hour to do. Just have epoxy the buttons in place. Weight comes off the front part of the car and it's high in the car. DSCF3623.JPG DSCF3625.JPG

23. southcross2631

southcross2631

Worked on my dash today . Removed the original gauges and got rid of everything but the plastic face. Wish I had a better dash face but this is what I got. Got one extra hole that I blocked off
    I bought a set of Bosch gauges in a panel. They fit the holes in the dash like they were made for it.
    I put the tach where the Speedo went and by just making 2 tabs and welding them to the cup it fit perfect. Good day. Too cold to work outside today low 40's and 25 mph winds.
    Went to the steel outlet and got my material to build my subframe connectors. DSCF3627.JPG

24. southcross2631

southcross2631

Finally had a day with no rain and got all of the rusty pans on the driver side cut out and found about 2 lbs of wet sand in front torque box and pin holes .So more cutting and welding. Not bad though. I have decided to move the rear springs inside the frame rail. It will give me 3 inches more tire clearance.
    I looked at Crites kit and for $ 230.00 I can buy a lot of steel. I should be able to build my own for around 50 bucks. I have way more time than money.
    I went to the steel yard and they want more for raw DOM tubing than I can buy a pre bent cage kit.
    That's crazy and I don't have to bend it.

TBirdGirl26, scott27, AHotRod and 6 others like this.
  25. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Is the cage kit DOM?
    I bought and installed a cage in an OT car and the kit was seamed tubing. Not that that mattered because seamed tubing is legal.

Fiddle Picker, loudbang and Crosley like this.
  26. Don't know if this will work for you but a friend doing a lighter car made to rotisserie ends to bolt to the car using plywood circles.Used 3/4" plywood doubled up together and cut them out with a jig saw. Rotated the car like butter. Something to think about.

27. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

That extra hole you could mount a plate and put a switch for your fuel pump or a starter switch...

Fiddle Picker, loudbang and Hombre like this.
  28. southcross2631

southcross2631

Or I could use that hole for an illegal shift light . Disguised as an oil pressure light. 2 way toggle switch ,one way for an oil light and the other for a shift light. Don't tell Quain he watches my build. lol. just kidding. Quain I wouldn't do that.
    I did get one subframe connector in today.

29. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

you mentioned a future FE.....when I asked, shock tower mods were a no-no - is it OK now? I have a '65 mustang i'm thinking about running - right now it has a mild 302 in it, but I have built a few FEs and would consider one for this car if I knew it would be (and stay) legal for the class as opposed to building up the windsor

Fiddle Picker and loudbang like this.
  30. southcross2631

southcross2631

ididntdoit1960 I think if you ask Robert about the Crites conversion which is about how much they cut the cars to make the thunderbolt conversions he would say yes. It's just for header clearance. It's no different than cutting holes in the fender wells for fender well headers. Which is ok.
    I ask him about moving the rear springs in for tire clearance and got the ok even though he said they would clear without moving them. I will send him an email about the shock towers. They are technically fender wells.