Register now to get rid of these ads!

I'M no longer LOCKED OUT

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Feb 22, 2020.

1. john walker

john walker

Slim jim with a notch that catches the release rod, slight twist to grab it better and slide it sideways.

3W JOHN and loudbang like this.
  2. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

Danny, do you know that Rumsey guy that is a locksmith, he helped me out when Pam locked her keys in the truck at wallmart.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. 55 Ford Gasser

55 Ford Gasser

Here's what I was trying to post in first thread. A few years ago a group of us went to Mt. Airy (Mayberry), N.C. While there, one of the guys locked his keys in his '53 Chevy. I suggested breaking the vent window as it would be cheapest and easiest to replace. Of course he didn't want to do that so he called a Locksmith. We also had 2 '57 Chevys and a '40 Chevy, but those keys didn't work. The Locksmith was able to find the correct blank by looking at those keys and then he looked at the '53 key through the window (they were laying on the front seat). He then cut a new key and unlocked the door. We were amazed and there was no windows harmed in the process. Some of those Locksmiths are really talented, and even without physically seeing the actual key they should be able to fix you right up. And as mentioned above, it will cost, but in the long run, nothing gets damaged. I don't remember what it cost, but I think it was reasonable and it was nearly midnight.

Good luck, maybe one of the other suggestions will work.

1947knuck, jim snow, 3W JOHN and 6 others like this.
  4. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Purely as an alternative to a locksmith and breaking the glass, one of those industrial grade glaziers suction cups that is designed to handle glass, might be great to safely try to wiggle the glass up and down to see if you can get the glass/window to move enough to slip something in, to snag the handle. Try it on both windows. Better leverage than just using the palms of your hands!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you have a key that slips in the lock that you can sacrifice you might be able to coat it with magic marker and slip it in and rock it back and forth and mark it enough to see where to take a file to it to modify it to work..

1947knuck, 3W JOHN, catdad49 and 4 others like this.
  6. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

How about chop the top and while you have the top off, unlock the door?

7. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

So Danny are you still locked out ?

3W JOHN, Stogy and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  8. I heard about the gorgeous blond standing beside your roadster and she ask you could she go for a ride and you said yes, but the door was locked and she couldn't get in. :D HRP

1947knuck, loner2, 3W JOHN and 3 others like this.
  9. Yeah Larry, I'm hoping for a easy fix but I don't think that's gonna happen, If I don't figure out something I will get a locksmith to unlock the passenger door and then when I gain entry I will try to figure out what happened to the drivers side latch, the drivers side is not keyed but I think something broke because the exterior door handle doesn't stay in the correct position. HRP

10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I remember one time I went out on Lockout patrol with my buddy and his Dad and this older fella had locked his keys in his car with it running in underground. It was 2 hrs before we got there...Al was very busy that day...

I jokingly said the silver lining is its warmed up...:D...to say the least his look was less than amused...:eek:...I actually picked that one open...The 3 of us all tackled the car in various ways to get it open...

11. Any chance your top and headliner are about ready to be replaced?

Charlie Stephens

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  12. I worked CAA lockouts for many years. A competent operator will have the right tool for getting in.

13. clem

clem

Best solution so far ! :D

What holds the lock in place ?
    Is it possible to pop the lock mechanism out, then use a flat screw driver to ‘unlock’ it ?

14. clem

clem

If you get it fixed, you can always rotate the handles 180* , so the next time it happens it will hang down and not lock.

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  15. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

De ja vu! At least I'm not going mad! Curious deletion though as someone else has similar in the thread title, but nod disguised - just sayin'.

Try some plastic packaging banding, ideally the wider stuff (1/2"?) but the narrow might work thinking about it. Good long length. Fold it on itself somewhere about 1/2 way along the length. This stiff but flexible thing will now push past seals, work around corners and once in becomes manouverable by virtue of the doubling, enabling you to form a lasoo to hook the handle. Might need further folds in either leg of the strap to persuade it go in the desired direction. Going in through the door frame, not the window.

Chris

16. Irvan

Irvan

I think calling the locksmith is going to get you the best results.

17. partssaloon

partssaloon

I don't think the key lock will do you any good if you locked it by the door handle from the inside. They work by separate locking methods. You will have to unlock by the handle.

18. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I hope you can get into it without too much trouble.

A few years back Jan was in Anna Texas visiting the kids and grandkids.

She went to the car wash and laid her key fob on the centre console and got out of the car to use the vacuum cleaner.

She closed the door to get the vacuum started and get the hose.

She had our 2 little weiner dogs with her and you know what happened next :D

Oscar stepped on the key fob and locked the doors.

Because it was really hot and the windows were up she had to call the Anna fire department to open the car and rescue both her and the dogs. :D

Gave the firemen a good laugh, they asked if she was a snowbird. :D

19. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Ryan, Blue said "weiner":p

20. rdscotty

rdscotty
    from red deer

Many modern cars have rods that move horizontal. The unlock kits carried by tow truck drivers have a wide variety of tools to use in this manner. Many bodyshops and mechanics have the kits as well in case they accidentally lock a customer's car. Do you know anyone at any of these places? It is unlikely they will loan you the kit, but if you know them, they may come help you out.
    Sent from my SM-G970W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 and 3W JOHN like this.
  21. HRP
    Charlie, believe it or not the top is original and is still holding up well, that would be the last thing on the list, but I can see where it could possibly be a option for someone else.

1947knuck, loner2 and 3W JOHN like this.
  22. alchemy

alchemy

I know the cowl vents have a tight spring on those notched levers, but there's got to be a wedge or something you can shove in there to pry it open. The car has patinaed old paint, right? So if you scratch it a little it won't matter.

I also like the idea of the glass suction cups to try to get a window to go down. I'd try it on a rear side window since they only have one arm holding them up. Less leverage to work against.

If that won't work, I'd recommend breaking the rear window. It's smallest and cheapest, and easy to replace the rubber channel.

23. Fitty Toomuch

Fitty Toomuch
    from WVa

Sheesh, This is too easy, Ya just take the vin# to a dealership and they`ll cut you a key on the spot.;)

clem, seb fontana, bchctybob and 3 others like this.
  24. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

If you were stuck somewhere I believe the door pins would be off as soon as you can find a hammer and punch ,five minutes tops.

25. alchemy

alchemy

I've never gotten hinge pins out in five minutes unless the car is brand new with new stainless pins. Anything that's been in there for years will be a total b!tch to remove. And I can guarantee messed up paint.

Chris, Fordors, lurker mick and 2 others like this.
  26. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

I hear you, I don't think dannys sedan has ever had the door pins removed, the only way yhey could be removed is with heat and your right messed up paint.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  27. Andy

Andy

If you have wooden floors still, I would determine a good place for a hole and drill one. You should be able to push the drivers handle up.

3W JOHN likes this.
  28. Call a locksmith, ask if he can impression keys if the answer is no he's not a very good smith. Call another.
    The lock is easy to pick or impression.

chryslerfan55 and 3W JOHN like this.
  29. Gman0046

Gman0046

Have you checked YouTube? Lots of different methods to get into a locked car.

bchctybob, kidcampbell71 and 3W JOHN like this.
  30. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

2x

chryslerfan55 likes this.