Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Rear Leaf Springs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DougieB, Feb 22, 2020.

1. DougieB

DougieB
    from Clark, NJ

I've replaced my old rear end with a late model chevy. Things are in place however my springs are suddenly shorter then when I took them off the old axle. Did I miss something? Help Please

2. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I don't think springs shrink........

Bandit Billy and Texas Webb like this.
  3. bigdog

bigdog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do you mean the springs won't bolt to the chassis or that the new rear axle isn't located in the wheelwells properly?

4. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We need pictures

5. Allmotor

Allmotor

Early Chevrolet spring center bolt location was offset. When installing a later rear you have to re drill spring pad on rear. If I remember correctly it's a 1/2 off.

6. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

Was the old one original? Look where the pin mounts on the old and compare to new one. Original one is 1/2 inch forward they way they were designed.

7. badshifter

badshifter

You missed all the details. What car, what year? If it was a torque tube rear like the car in your avatar and you swapped to an open rear, then yes the locating pin on your springs is in the wrong place for an open rear. The torque tube rears have a pivot point and the locating pin is about 1 1/2 - 2 inches or so forward of the center of the axle tube. You'll have to measure and if possible drill new pin mount holes In your new spring pads.

Hnstray, DougieB and town sedan like this.
  8. DougieB

DougieB
    from Clark, NJ

My apologies everyone working the weekend and I’m posting pics tomorrow. 54 Belair 4 door. The old torque tube been removed and replaced with a late 10 bolt from a 69 Camaro. I cut the old perches off and got the spring relocation kit from Western Chassis and it has the offset. I attached the rear spring shackles and when trying to attach the front part it was 2 inches shy. Pics coming

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. hook the front spring eye first, then the shackles, you may have to compress the springs to get them to attach...