Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Manual Throttle on a 4-Barrel Carb?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 4woody, Feb 22, 2020.

1. 4woody

4woody

I'm running an Edelbrock 1405 (that's the one with the manual choke) in my truck- Dodge 5.9 engine with low vacuum & a lumpy cam.

I'd like to be able to add a manual throttle for warming it up, and to boost the idle when running A/C , but I can't see an obvious way to do it that doesn't interfere with normal throttle pedal function.

Anybody added a manual throttle to one of these?

2. Penetrator

Penetrator
    from SK CAN

3. As far as stepping up the idle for cold starting, even though this is a manual choke carb I think there is still a "fast idle" adjustment that can be made to slightly increase the idle speed when the choke is applied. Once you open the choke fully it should allow it to return to the lower "curb idle" speed. Check online for the Edelbrock tech support website.

And as already mentioned, a "fast idle" or "idle stop" solenoid might be able to be fitted and wired up to be powered only when the A/C compressor is engaged. That way you'll only have the faster idle speed when needed. A bit of fine-tuning to the solenoid's adjustment should keep everything under control and street-driveable.

sunbeam, loudbang and town sedan like this.
  4. 4woody

4woody

Thanks, I'm aware of the solenoids. Was just hoping to do it with a hand cable if possible.

5. Warpspeed

Warpspeed

Its going to be running rich with the choke out anyway. So all it may need is an air bleed into the inlet manifold that you can manually adjust.

How about one of those cable operated heater valves that are used on some older cars to adjust the water flow to the heating element ?

Attached Files:

6. Penetrator

Penetrator
    from SK CAN

Sounds like you want a throttle lock, like heavy trucks use for PTO operations. (Often referred to as Mexican cruise control.) Search "throttle lock" if that's what you're after...

town sedan likes this.
  7. southcross2631

southcross2631

I agree with a stepper solenoid . We used to install them on our garbage trucks when they were using the packer. Put a toggle switch on the dash.
    On the ones with air brakes we just used an air stepper.
    simple, effective ,reliable. Lot less work than cutting a hole in the firewall to run a solid rod or cable to the carb. Then figuring out how to not interfere with the stock linkage.
    It can be done with some work.

8. A lot of older cars had a hand throttle
    Kinda a poor mans or old school way of cruis control?

my 69 Lincoln had it all day with factory cruise.
    I used it kinda like a cruise control
    Google pics of hand throttle
    It can be done inoffensive with a cable

9. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

A simple linkage that will pull with a cable and retract with a spring would be easy to build. Make it so it only contacts a pin or bolt on the throttle linkage when you pull the cable, and the spring would keep it pulled back so it wouldn't interfere with normal operation. A simple flip down piece to lock the cable would hold it out and not let it walk back in until you were ready to release it.

10. Hgdoo

Hgdoo

I use a wooden dowel between seat and gas pedal on my plow truck.
    Throttle stick..

6-bangertim likes this.
  11. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It can be done the same way early 50's Chevrolet and GMC pickups. They had a pull knob with "T" on it. The cable which was solid wire, not stranded went thru where the cotter pin went thru the pin in the carb link from the foot feed. You pulled on the T knob and a set screw held device on the the cable about 1/2" out on the solid wire. The device is available at ACE hardware in one of their drawers where the nuts and bolts are.
    Then you operated the foot feed the pin sticking thru it just slide on the solid wire keeping it from falling off.
    This is more complicated to write than do.

egads and loudbang like this.
  12. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

A simple way of accomplishing what you want to do is adjust your fast idle screw in farther. That way you get a fast idle with very little choke. This will let your engine run fast without much rich mixture, you can still full choke to start , then back off to desired idle. This is how I prefer my manual chokes to be set. May take a little getting used to , but I like it!

Bones

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  13. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Put a switch on the brake that disconnects the ac compressor.. Or the solenoid

14. RmK57

RmK57

My 66 Bronco came with a hand throttle from the factory. Simple choke type cable running to accelerator pedal and the cable running to the dash.

15. jaracer

jaracer

Google Vernier hand throttle. It's a cable setup. You screw out the knob to set the fast idle and you can hit the center button to drop back to normal idle. They used to be used on heavy trucks.

loudbang likes this.
  16. One way that might work without directly affecting the throttle cable might be to add a second cable that only actuated the fast idle cam. But it won't give you an infinitely adjustable high idle speed due to the fixed steps on the fast idle cam. Also, by design, to return to the curb idle speed will require slightly blipping the throttle to allow the fast idle cam to drop back to its lowest setting.

17. sunbeam

sunbeam

18. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

19. carbking

carbking

A hand throttle may be attached to virtually any carburetor. One simply needs a small flat surface on the throttle arm that is parallel to the plane of the throttle shaft.

Drill a small hole (about 1 1/2 times the diameter of the hand throttle cable) in the flat surface.
    Insert the hand throttle cable through the hole.
    Attach the hand throttle cable housing lock so the cable housing is fixed.
    Open your fishing tackle box, and steal a split shot sinker.
    Fasten the split shot single to the hand throttle cable on the far side of the flat surface.

When one pulls the hand throttle knob, the split shot sinker will pull the throttle open. The existing throttle return spring will close it when the hand throttle knob is pushed off. For normal driving, the throttle will slide over the cable with no interference.

Jon

6-bangertim likes this.