Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 60's Era Street/Strip Model A Coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by -Brent-, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Crkrjac

Crkrjac
    from Waxhaw NC

Unreal Hot Rod!

I’ll be back....got to go push my junk off a cliff now.

2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

That front 3/4 shot is on the money man! And the stuff we talked about last night is pretty obviously just the angle of the photo after seeing all these photos.

that car better have a hell of a bark with it looking like that!

3. -Brent-

-Brent-

Model A Parking Brake Handle, Adapted to a Muncie 4-Speed:

There's not much stock Model A left in this car. The brake handle was something I wanted to retain.

Jim Stewart made the bracket and bellcrank assembly for me after I saw the one he made for his tall T. We modified it a bit to work in the coupe.

The tab was moved from the top to the bottom of the arm coming off the frame. The arm was heated and bent to fit. It now sits, centered, right above the tailshaft of the trans.

Hand Brake Assembly Muncie in a Model A Ford.jpg

Model A Hand Brake Adapted to a Muncie.jpg

Here are some pics of the kit from post 137.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  4. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Clever, deceptively simple, and strong. Seems to be a theme developing...

mad mikey, brad2v and -Brent- like this.
  5. Clever idea! I really like that. Might have to file that away for when I get back to work on the phaeton. Looks like a early Ford brake or clutch pedal was used and modified?

mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  6. -Brent-

-Brent-

That's exactly what it is. Also, a new bronze bushing was inserted on the pivot end.

7. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

After you got it mocked up, how long did you sit in it and make engine noises and fondle the shifter. I would still be in it:)

Stogy, mad mikey, BigChief and 8 others like this.
  8. -Brent-

-Brent-

Model A Handbrake on Muncie Transmission:

The linkage is done.

Handbrake Linkage Muncie and Model A Ford 2.jpg Handbrake Linkage Muncie and Model A Ford.jpg

9. -Brent-

-Brent-

Pitman Arm Modified to Clear Hairpins and Converted to Ball End:

Here's the pic from the previous post. The idea was to use a 32-34 ball on a later pitman arm.

Putting a Ball on a Ford Pitman Arm.jpg

My pal, Brian, changed the bend and did the ball end. The ball was pressed in, checked, pulled out and modified, and then pressed back in and tigged.

Ball End Installed Onto Pitman Arm.jpg Modified Ford Pitman Arm.jpg

He cleaned it up and there you have it. Below is a comparison to a stock arm.

Stock vs Modified Pitman Arm.jpg

10. Pete Poling

Pete Poling

Do you know what year that had the arm on it that you call stock? I have one from a ‘46 car and need it to bend in to clear the bones. I can bend it but if I can buy it like that then I would. Does that arm have 78-3590 on it? IMG_4598.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. Pete Poling

Pete Poling

Looks like ‘37-‘41... it’s amazing what google can find! Thanks and you have a amazing ride!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. -Brent-

-Brent-

Ladder Bars:

I haven't really shown the ladder bars on their own. I've been waiting to post finished and adjusted pics but we've been doing other things. And, actually, tonight I was editing some photos came across the pics of the bars and I realized I'd forgotten to post them.

I think it was @mad mikey wanting to see them... so, sorry for the wait brother!

Here are some material specs:

Main tubes are 1" OD tap tube
    webs are 3/4" OD tap tube

They're still needing to be trimmed and fitted with jam nuts.

Hartman Ladder Bars on Table.jpg

If you look at bars from the 60s, they all have their differences. Ryan had these in mind, inspired by the model kits he made as a kid and the drag cars he drew while he was daydreaming. I had sent him a few pics of what I liked and I let him have fun.

After hearing him tell me the back story to the design going back to his youth, I liked them even more.

Ladder Bar.jpg

Ryan split some tube and grafted it into the back of the ladder bar brackets. Nothing goes untouched.

Ladder Bar Axle Bracket.jpg

I love details like this.

Hartman Ladder bar Axle Bracket.jpg
    A view from the top/back.

Model A Competition Chassis With Ladder Bars.jpg

From down-low, looking in.

Ladder Bar Pass Side.jpg

That front gusseted area is the way Ryan drew them as a kid.

Ladder Bar Model A Coupe.jpg

I love seeing the bars from this view!

Ladder Bars Under the Model A Coupe.jpg

13. brad2v

brad2v

Good God. My new favorite current build. Ryan's eye for detail is amazing. An absolutely wicked looking mo-sheen!

14. No problem waiting Brent, this stuff takes time. They look great. Very 60's. Great job Ryan.:)

31chevymike, Hombre, Thor1 and 3 others like this.
  15. brianf31

brianf31

Awesome detail!

Stogy, Hombre, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  16. loudbang

loudbang

Cool new Avatar :)

enloe, 1947knuck, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  17. -Brent-

-Brent-

Thanks so much, fellas.

18. -Brent-

-Brent-

Front Wheel & Tire Comparison:

The first time I saw the 16x4.50 Firestones, I was pretty surprised at their small size. Mounted up and certainly in the pics, they don't seem so small.

16x4.50 Firestone.jpg

Here they are mounted on 16x4 steelies. I had them blasted when I did the frame and before we left, I sprayed them with epoxy primer. Last week, we dropped them off at an autobody shop for some gloss black.

Steelie and 4.50 up front.jpg

When it comes to finishing the car, these wheels will get some pinstripes. I think another inch out of the front is needed.

16x4.50 Firestones Model A Coupe.jpg

Here's a comparison, side to side. The steelies land in the same place as the spindle mounts.

16x4 Steelie vs 12 Spoke Spindle Mount.jpg

In this pic you can see the heavy axle isn't in place. That's because it's sent out to get some attention.

I'm looking forward, again, to seeing it back as a roller with the dropped 32 and steelies... and a few more items from the list.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
  19. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Brent,

Just my opinion, but having the front of the car a little higher as it is in the last few photos looks killer.:cool:

[​IMG]

20. I agree that higher stance is tits

31chevymike, brad2v, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Evil, Wicked, Mean & Nasty...that's the Ticket...Top Mark's from observer and Hotrod Fan Stogy...;)

22. -Brent-

-Brent-

It's hard for me to tell unless the body is on.

23. Higher, lower, its all good.;) Got to say, I do love those spindle mounts.:cool:

24. I dig your vision! Looks like it could have been a 60s AMT Model Kit!

wingnutz, brad2v, Tim and 4 others like this.
  25. spindle mounts get my vote....

26. -Brent-

-Brent-

Thanks, Trent! There's certainly a bit of that inspiration in this car.

It looks cool with spindle mounts, I'll give you that. Lots of folks believe spindle mounts should be on this car, too. I'm just not one of them, hahaha. Actually, there's a 5-spoke spindle mount mounted on the car, right now. This car will get brakes - with 100% certainty. Where I live - most drivers are inconsiderate and there's traffic. Those two reasons, alone, make me want brakes.

When it's done, I am going to drive it as much as possible. I want to be able to thrash on it and I like the security of brakes allowing me to get on it.

27. 54BOMB

54BOMB

Yea, that’s serious right there.

loudbang and -Brent- like this.
  28. -Brent-

-Brent-

More Panhard Details:

The only task that was left to do on the panhard was gusseting the frame-side tabs (seen below). However, since it's another item scratched off the list (and it's pretty neat to look at), I figure we'll show some details.

This offset axle bracket, below, is pretty modified from what it started out as.

Panhard Bar Axle Bracket Pontiac Olds Rear.jpg
    This is the kit we used as a donor.

Offset-Axle-Panhard-Bracket-Barnes4wd.jpg

Putting the bar ahead of the crossmember and above the 3rd allows for plenty of clearance and room for travel. Although it's not going to travel up and down all that much. There is enough space to keep it away from the floor, too.

Panhard Bar with Model A Buggy Spring .jpg
    ... and the frame-side bracket reinforced with a gusset. We're just keeping the theme going on.

Panhard Bracket Model A Frame.jpg