Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Here's some old-school brake drum repair.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34 GAZ, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Must have worked at that time. Re-lined drums welded and riveted all the way around the circumference. While your here, whats up with these square back spindles ? The steering arms curl all the way back to inside the wheel area. Most spindles have the arms at about 90 degrees square. Are they Ford car, truck, tractor. Maybe Lincoln ? Someone torched the drums off. Thanks for looking.
    drum 1.JPG drum 2.JPG drum 3.JPG spindle 1.JPG spindle 2.JPG

2. squirrel

squirrel

The spindles would work great for tie rod in front of the axle (consider the Ackerman geometry)

King ford and 34 GAZ like this.
  3. So going back to the spindle question, The steering arms are bent all the way to the inside, 1.25 inch past what would be the backing plate surface. Backing plate does,nt even fit. Someone has been screwing around :rolleyes:. So guess i will have them straightend out to match my other spindles.

4. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

They do sell bolt on drop steering arms . I was never too much on heating and bending a forging on steering parts . I know it has been completed safely for many many years , I just will not trust it unless the part is x rayed .

34 GAZ likes this.

5. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Greetings Gaz!....what you do with your spindles depends on what your going to use them for....as Jim pointed out if your planning on building a suicide front end and may wish to put the tierod in front of the axle these spindles should be nearly perfect for that application....

34 GAZ likes this.