Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage SAN DIEGO BIG 3 - THE LAST ONE !!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HellsHotRods, Jan 30, 2020.

1. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

2. JimSibley

JimSibley

I’m going! Haven’t been in 15 years, moved away, I’m going. Last chance to see all of my old HotRod buddies in this setting. See ya there!

3. atsfrwy

atsfrwy
    from hemet

i was 16 when went my first big three it was ej cajon shopping center wasn't call big three back the just two row of car parts

GZ likes this.
  4. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll be there unless in rains. Qualcom stadium in the rain is no place to be. Too bad about this being the last one. This meet is one of the best in the area IMO.

chryslerfan55 and HellsHotRods like this.

5. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

I will be there with the rest of the gang:cool: Hopefully another venue can be found ,maybe not quite as big but better than nothing...

6. mopacltd

mopacltd

What about Del Mar? Can't make it this year, Lumpy63. Full Honor Guard Burial for a close friend that weekend. Vietnam veteran Marine with 2 purple hearts.

7. exterminator

exterminator

8. 51 mercules

51 mercules

9. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Here you go!
    February 20
    Set up from 10:00 am – 10:00 pm
    February 21
    Gates open to vendors from 5:00 am – 8:00 am
    Gates open to the public 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
    February 22
    Gates open to vendors from 5:00 am – 8:00 am
    Gates open to the public 8:00 am – 3:00

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  10. mrjim

mrjim
    from Norco Ca

Going for sure!!!!

11. I'll be there rain or shine......I should wear black. This sucks, one of the BEST swaps around. I guess I'll make the road trip to Turlock next time.

Special Ed likes this.
  12. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

Del Mar fair grounds wanted 3X the facility price , the greedy bastards!!!! It's the facility rental price that is killing it.

13. mopacltd

mopacltd

Where do the Padre's play? Maybe their stadium is available.

14. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Maybe San Diego State or UCSD?

15. atsfrwy

atsfrwy
    from hemet

maybe Chula Vista

16. GZ

GZ
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Detroit

I was there too and about the same age. After the shopping center, it moved to a dirt field near or at the El Cajon airport. It was there for several years before moving to the Stadium. It was called the Big Three because it was sponsored by three clubs: The Horseless Carriage Club, Early Ford V8 and another one. I haven't been in years but this was one of the great SoCal events and certainly a "must attend" for anyone selling or needing parts for a prewar car. Brass era parts were always plentiful at this event back in the day. Some very significant cars and tons of rare parts traded hands at this event over the years. The big SoCal swap meets were San Diego in February, LA Roadster in June and Long Beach Model T Club in August. Of course, there were a lot of smaller ones in between, but these were the "heavies". Lots of great memories.....

Hopefully the promoter can find another location, but I know it's got to be really tough, especially in a congested city like San Diego.

17. I’m bummed that it’s the last one. I’ve been going for decades. Not only is it one of the best meets but I have a lot of memories of good times there with friends that are gone.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Special Ed likes this.
  18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That seems to be universal with venues around the country. Kill the golden goose trying to squeeze the last egg out rather than working with prospective facility users and getting a more reasonable fee. I've seen that up here too where places would rather have an empty and unused facility for the weekend rather than rent it out for a reasonable cost.

19. mopacltd

mopacltd

Isn't the old El Cajon speedway property still vacant?

20. Spent MANY hours at that swap meet! I LOVED it.

Special Ed likes this.
  21. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Yes Chuck it still is vacant...all fenced off ..what an F ing farce that whole debacle was. I miss El Cajon Speedway.:(

6-bangertim and chryslerfan55 like this.
  22. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

It really sucks if this great swap meet is coming to an end! It's always been a really fun event and a terrific swap meet.

I've been going since High School-mid 70's when it was at Parkway Plaza mall and then at Cajon Speedway before moving to the Stadium.
    Cajon Speedway's 50 year lease ended in 2004. The County announced plans to expand the airport facilities at that time (and refused to extend the racetrack lease) but so far that hasn't happened! As Lumpy and mopacltd stated, the land remains a vacant field. It's 180 acres. perhaps it could be leased, scraped and chalked out to hold the swap meet?

Bummer that Del Mar can't be had reasonably. What about leasing only the gigantic dirt overflow lot at Del Mar and not the fairground facility itself like Goodguys do? Is that feasible?

I'd aim to move the meet from February to Spring when the weather is better and there's less chance of a rain out.

By far, the largest paved lots in the County or the south bay port holding lots where import vehicles are off loaded and stored. Though I imagine those are too tied up to have enough open space to lease out.

I'd look at the possibility of booking College parking lots when activity is slim to none during Spring Break (2 or 3 weekends available) or during Summer break.
    My first choice would be Cal State San Marcos. It's a fairly new campus with massive paved lots, along with some huge dirt lots (for spectator parking). Located in North San Diego County right off the 78 between I-5 and I-15. It's within an hour drive anywhere in San Diego and 1-2 hour strike from anywhere in LA, Orange County or the Inland Empire area. A motorcycle riding school occasionally leases out the big paved lot on weekends, so that establishes they do lease out the large lot on weekends.

Second choice would be the Otay Mesa amphitheater located in the Southern edge of the County. It's a fairly new outdoor concert venue (owned by Live Nation) that has a lot of down time where it sits idle. For example, the next scheduled concert is at the end of May. Huge paved lots as well as enormous amount of overflow parking in surrounding dirt lots. Also lots of paved parking in the adjacent water park owned by Sea World. The park is seasonal-open from Memorial Day through Labor Day, so a winter or early Spring date meet would be ideal.

Lastly, down in the Otay Mesa area there are many massive, flat, undeveloped commercial lots near Copart and some of the other huge storage yards. Good freeway access and quit commercial area on weekends. Perhaps they could be leased out for a weekend?

I'll shoot an email over to Todd Harding with this link to see if he can share what has been considered.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  23. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

BEA34A31-2BF6-4D2B-8092-6E61CD0BFD3F.jpeg Haven't heard back from Todd, but I imagine it's a real busy week for him!

Had today off and got down there about 9:00 this AM. No wait to park, but a 15 minute wait to pay the $5 admission this year (admission has always been free). Walked about 3/4 of the aisles and was out of there before 11:00.
    Car Corral was dismal, with only about 2 dozen cars for sale.
    Amount of vendors was down. I'd guess 2/3 or 3/4 of normal. Pending rain Saturday most likely caused some long haul sellers to opt out not making it worth it for a one day shot of good weather.
    Not nearly as many roller or project cars for sale trailered into the swap area this year. This swap was always known for having many sellers trailer in all sorts of project cars (Classics, orphans, old drag cars, etc). Few years ago there was an ex drag Thames panel minus engine that was really tempting. Not much of that, or Hot Rods brought out for display. Didn't seem to be as much Car Club presence like there usually is, where a club buys a block of spaces and displays some cars, sell some parts and hang out. Nobody firing off engines on test stands, etc. Pretty darn quiet meet at least this AM.

My fav was this bad ass 55

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  24. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

not matter what we need pics

25. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Sold most of the stuff I brought down , having a great time hanging with my buds. Going back tomorrow probably not bringing our nice rides due to the weather. Not giving any props to the new management cause frankly they suck ass... badly. Gonna really miss the big 3 for sure. Looks like more trips to Pamona and Long Beach:cool:

26. JimSibley

JimSibley

Way to fun. Bought a pair of 15x10 halibrands, met up with a lot of old friends and had a blast. I will miss the big three.

lumpy 63 and Special Ed like this.
  27. 6-bangertim

6-bangertim
    from California

Isn't the old El Cajon speedway property still vacant?[/QUOTE] After 11 years, the county is starting to move some dirt around. NO good reason why Cajon Speedway could not have operated on a year-to year lease until the county got their shit together!

chryslerfan55 and lumpy 63 like this.
  28. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't know if its just me but all I get

29. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Got here at 7:30. Drove right into the parking lot. Not nearly as many people waiting to enter as years past
    Only light intermittent showers so far.

Special Ed likes this.
  30. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

9:15. Rain has turned into a real frog strangler. Even before the rain at least 30% of the spaces were vacant