Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features What's on your.... AM radio?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by 1953naegle, Sep 13, 2019.

1. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Do not have a working AM radio in any of my old rides,when I was building my 53 Olds years ago I had a some what working wonderbar radio for it that I had planned on getting rebuilt but the only AM station that played music changed format to talk/sports so from then on all got modern stereos. I do like the sound of a tube radio much better then the moderns stuff but I like music when driving,another thing is I do not think there is anyone locally now who can fix them.

Elcohaulic likes this.
  2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

3. earlymopar

earlymopar

Conservative talk radio and most all stations
    are accompanied by static.

- EM

4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

back in the 80's when I had my 1962 Cadillac there was a great station for driving a 62 Cadillac, "Magic 61". it was all like Bing Crosby and those guys. I used to tell people I only get old stations on the radio like it was the Twilight Zone.

5. Mimilan

Mimilan

If you have a good working AM radio, and are reasonably skilled with a soldering iron
    You can splice a Aux input phone jack between the "Tuner" and the "potentiometer" [volume control]

When a 3.5 jack plug is inserted in the phone jack it switches off the tuner signal and redirects a signal from the jack plug.
    It still uses the stock potentiometer [on/off and volume control switch]

Here's a schematic [note you need 2 resistors to convert stereo input to mono input]

mono phone jack.PNG
    Here is one I made to hide the phone jack in the glove box [all you need is a 6mm or 1/4" hole to mount it]
    The whole exercise cost about $10 including some shielded wire [+ some patience]
    20190706_120931.jpg
    20190706_131028.jpg

You can listen from an MP3 player or your phone via your AM radio

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    Elcohaulic, kevinrevin and Truck64 like this.
  6. Rush.

I researched what Ed Roth used in the 1963 Mysterion show car. Realize in '62, transistors were still oddities. After market radios for cars didn't exist. It was still a couple years before the introduction of 8-tracks, several more before cassettes. I finally determined he must have used a Magnavox 110V tabletop stereo. I found one that looked right and made it work with a Harbor Freight 12V to 100V power inverter. Works like a champ. Rush is clear as a bell!

body mount 7.JPG interior radio1.JPG 3aclean.jpg 1962_EdRoth_MysterionRecreation_45 small.jpg

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  7. Bing bong Bing bong - weather and traffic together. News, Sports radio and Rush or Glenn Beck but there is a limp-dick computer-programmed oldies station in our area. Plus the occasional bible-thumpers, farm market reports and Mariachi bands..

quick85 likes this.
  8. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

As my parents used to say, "Yep the 30's and 40's had some good music. Too much garbage today".

9. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

AM 1070 Classic Country. Wichita, Kansas. Or 1330 conservative talk radio.

10. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

Nothing yet- it's still all torn apart awaiting a recap. I've made a start on the 12V conversion, it's now got a 12V power transformer in from a later model radio, need to get some of the same model tubes with 12V heaters. Gonna retrofit a Bluetooth module inside, with a relay switched from the "connected" output so it's a regular AM radio but will play from my phone when it's set to connect in my cell when there's nothing on worth listening to.
    The original Sylvania radio from the car is a pretty good design, the power amplifier is the same that Fender used in their smaller guitar amps.

Phil

v8flat44 likes this.
  11. derbydad276

derbydad276

Deuces likes this.
  12. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

Anyone know how to filter out the ignition static on the AM band of my radio?

Gary

13. XERB in Chula Vista BABY!

14. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Need to filter it out, as close to the source as possible, the usual suspects being ignition coil, generator/alternator armature, and armature contacts at the voltage regulator. The OEMs had "noise suppression" capacitors for this purpose. They look a lot like ignition condensers, but are a little larger in value.

15. 1953naegle

1953naegle

That's exactly what I want to do. It's easy to pull music up on your phone and you can pipe it into the car speakers, but IMO the whole point of a car radio is for it to be insantly going when you start the car.

There's 2 extreams in 1: being your own DJ and having to constantly keep track of the radio, and 2: being at the mercy of what's on the air-ways. I think the happy median is what people want. Having "their" music going with as little effort as possible.

16. NWRustyJunk

NWRustyJunk

I found an AM station that plays '60s and '70s out of McMinnville, Oregon. I also installed one of those RediRad doodads in my car. Now I can hook up a portable music player and play it through my factory dash speaker.

17. 1pickup

1pickup

Huh, I didn't know they had comedy stations on AM!

Around here we have HANK AM playing country mostly from the 60's-80's. It's better than almost everything on FM.

Deuces and nochop like this.
  18. Mimilan

Mimilan

If you're not quite such an electronics circuitry geek but understand a basic electrical circuit [as in wiring a radio into a car] check out my thread on installing a hidden bluetooth amplifier.
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...th-sound-system-install-non-invasive.1155455/
    There is no knobs at all , it totally relies on a phone or MP3 player to control it.

Since that thread we've added a door relay to switch off the sound system [because 57 Chevys don't have an accessory position on the ignition switch]

The sound system works so well that we have added 2 more into our house [powered by a 12v 8a computer AC adaptor]
    I now have a totally hidden sound system in our home with the speakers hidden behind curtain valances

quick85 likes this.
  19. v8flat44

v8flat44

Hank, why do you drink and why do you smoke...............Love country from that era....

20. Not attempting to turn this into a political shit storm but all afternoon I'm tuned into I Heart Radio listning to Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity. Reason is my son does a lot of voice work for I Heart and Fox. Their political views are highly informative and entertaining but the AM static is kind of annoying along with the weak signal.

v8flat44 likes this.
  21. ned5049

ned5049

KB radio 1520, Buffalo,N.Y. Could pick it up late at night clear down in Florida. Miss it.

22. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Angel/Dodger baseball, news/traffic when baseball’s not on, and RUSH LIMBAUGH from 9:00-12:00.....

23. ned5049

ned5049

24. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

My Dads Minnesota Dragways Trophys image.jpg

quick85, Deuces and 1953naegle like this.
  25. bchctybob

bchctybob

When we bought the wife’s Corvair and brought it home she sat in the driver’s seat and turned on the stock radio. When it didn’t come on instantly she said, “radio doesn’t work” and turned it off. I said,”give it a minute”. It not only came on, but it was on a distant oldies station, KVIN, the Vine from Modesto. The beginning of a beautiful relationship with our little Monza coupe.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

quick85, Deuces and Truck64 like this.
  26. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

^^ Get those consoles tuned up with a fresh power supply and alignment and they really crank LOUD.

27. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Deuces likes this.
  28. v8flat44

v8flat44

I remember "back in the day" WLS in Chicago, CKLW Detroit and WTVN Columbus Ohio. Could get all 3 here in Port Clinton Ohio. I think I still got them in 1965 when I had my 58 Vette. Oh man .........Headman headers, big 4 barrel, 370 gears & good music.................don't have the car, but still have the GR8 gal that loved that music & car too.

427 sleeper and Deuces like this.
  29. 700 AM KSEV used to play Paul Berlin from 6p-8p on Saturday nights. Berlin was THE big Top 40 DJ in Houston in the 50s and 60s. I think his “best of” shows are still airing in that time slot. Worth a try as you drive to Niftee 50ees.

30. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

It's 1260 AM, and has a bit of range. The yearly "Drag The Gut" Cruise in Mac, is Sat night Aug 28th. You actually drive up and down the city street, like we did in the 60's. Since this month, I celebrate owning my '65 Falcon for 50 years, I bought a new dash speaker, and I am hooking the Motorola Vibrasonic that is mounted in the trunk. Be there, or be square !