Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Dana 44 ID

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stockr, Feb 21, 2020.

1. stockr

stockr

Looking for the mfg/year to find a disc brake conversion kit. Now in a 59 chevy truck. 373 gear, 5 lug, left hand lugs driver side. No BOM#
    rearend2.jpg rearend.jpg rearend1.jpg

Attached Files:

2. I really doubt you can find a conversion kit for that old ford rear. It would be easier better and just as cost effective to swap the rear.

3. HunterYJ

HunterYJ
    from Buda Texas

Some modern Jeeps use a D44 rear with disks and have the small ford passenger car bolt patern. Might be a source for you.
    For the larger truck bolt pattern I once used Suzuki Samurai front rotors with Nissan 300z calipers and homemade brackets on a 9 inch. Yes, import parts but still used my stock brake lines and were cost effective. With the new rotors; calipers a 78 Grand Marquis master cylinder from Orielys and a used Sentra e-brake cable and handle assembly I was out less than $250 total in 2005 dollars.
    Good luck.

stillrunners likes this.
  4. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought rear disc for the Dana 44 in my bird from these guys. Years ago, they're not shown on the web site you have to call. Late model Mustang calipers, fit fine, even the parking brake works (unlike the early GM calipers I've had). If I were doing it again, I'd probably put a 9" under it (or something more modern). Some of those Dana parts are getting hard to find and changing ratios is a PITA.

https://www.classicdiscbrakes.com/55-66-Ford-Thunderbird_c68.htm

HunterYJ likes this.

5. squirrel

squirrel

Somehow, I've never felt a need to put disk brakes on my 59 chevy truck's Dana 60 rear end. I wouldn't mind having them on the front of the truck, though.

Is it a 4.5" or 5.5" bolt circle on the wheels? or something else?

6. Studebaker........